I took communion for the first time!

by serenitynow! 3 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

So I got a hankering to go to church. I waffle between being an atheist, being angry with god, and liking Jesus, and wishing my perception of god and religion hadn't been so tainted by the evil WTS.

My grandma was Methodist before becoming a JW, so I lean toward going to a Methodist church when I get the urge to go.

The service was nice, about being a "called Christian" as opposed to just being called a Christian. It was a nice service. There was singing, and I sang along, the songs were joyful, praises to god and Jesus.

So the last time I was in a church I still had some WT influence that kept me from taking communion. I decided I would take it today. Even though I do not really consider myself a Christian anymore, I feel like all the time when I was a JW I should have been partaking because I considered myself a Christian.

So I got in line to go to the front of the church to receive the bread and the wine. I took the piece of what appeared to be a marble rye (leavened bread!), and turned to the Reverend to drink the wine. There was a brief awkward moment when I tried to wrest the wine goblet from the Reverend to drink the wine, he kindly told me I was supposed to dip the bread in the wine.

I think I will go to the KH for the Memorial this year. This time I will participate.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I understand the church experience. Regardless of your beliefs, there's nothing wrong with trying the experience.

The Memorial experience, in my opinion for me, not necessarily applying to you, I would have to be paid to go through that.

• Glander
    Glander

Why not have your own private communion at home? The emblems are simple - unleavened bread and wine. It is the significance of your feelings about the symbolism that is important. Read significant passages in the gospels first to get in the groove. You can do it anytime, doesn't have to be Memorial night.

If you are a Catholic you really have to 'be there' and get into the "transubstantiation" mindset and the priestly supervision.

PS - OTWO - How much? and I would want pictures.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I attended services regularly and decided I wanted to participate. It felt awkward. I could find no one to tell me the rules. Next, I realized there were no rules. It took me years to feel entitled and that I was a normal person receiving normal communion. The day I finally stood in line to receive communion was a big event in my life. It was awkward. No one was paying attention to me. Later, I found out what is unforgiveable in this communion is to question whoever is on line for communion. I attended a city cathedral and Arabs in Moslem garb were known to come forward during communion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit