Sins Against The Holy Spirit...

by Merkaba 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was always told that ANY sin could be a sin against hs. The issue is not what the person does, but their attitude. So if someone willfully does anything, and it's not about human weakness, then that would qualify. Apparently it was this type of sin that Adam committed---because he had to turn his heart completely away from his god to commit it. They teach that a person guilty of such sin has moved beyond the capacity to repent. Their heart has been destroyed, they can't repent, nor do they desire to do so, and therefore, can't be reinstated or forgiven.

In practice however, I think they focus most strongly on apostacy. Because in their eyes, we still know they have the truth, but we willfully turn away and say it is not the truth. We are in full control of our actions and have chosen evil. So we are unrepentent not because we don't think repentence is necessary, but because we are unable to repent and revive our hearts. We have experienced spiritual death.

Many people suffer depression because they fear they have inadvertantly committed the unforgivable sin. The Depression tract tells them that this fear is proof that they did not. An unrepentent sinner would not fear or even care if they had.

It's a wonderful way to keep people insecure and afraid to question. The scripture bothered me so much at one time, I actually called into a Christian radio show and asked them to explain it. I didn't understand the explanation, but in this guys eyes, Jesus would have had to be on earth for us to have committed such a sin.

I'm so glad that I've given up the idea of sin. It's a heavy load. Now there are only actions and consequences---which means there are things one should not do---but there is not a cosmic balance sheet.

NC

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The story in Acts where Peter calls down the Holy Spirit which slays a couple keeping part of their funds private always shocked me. It was an act I could never see Jesus being a partner. My early tween brain interpreted, prob. b/c someone in KH said so, any questioning of JWs as a sin against the holy spirit. I sinned when I realized that senior brothers misread text. It was fifth grade level at the most. I told no one b/c I was so afraid.

Of course, I know how the GB would interpret such actions. The Witnesses are extremely pharasaical. A large amount of terrain is left for private judgment and administration. Since most of us don't have access tothe GB, we are stuck with the elders' position. I suggested in another thread that Witnesses almost need to hire a private lawyer to read the text to see how much discretion is possible. I have a feeling, though, that every religion has its grey areas. It struck me as a Witness how the WT prosecutes people. They are eager to see sin and badness. Most mainstream religions prefer to focus on a positive message. It says something about humans that the Witnesses are able to retain anyone.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

The more topics I read about the WTBS and its elders and its legalism, which I agree with by the way, the more visibly I see that they are removed from anything suggestive of Almighty God's holy spirit. Let them worry about the sinning against it since I'm sure they go too far in that direction continually.

Loz x

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I saw what happens. B/c my family had been in generations and many family members served at Bethel, they took whatever happened at the KH with a grain of salt. Many grains of salt. They all had their favorite Bethel bigwigs to go running to for justice. The regular Witnesses who had converted believed whatever was said from the platform so earnestly. After I left, a Witness came calling and threatened me with 1975. I knew 1975 was still an internal matter. So I said really, let me see what the brothers at Bethel think of your threatening me with 1975. I was just bluffing. Her face grew deathly white. She begged and begged me to not call.

A Christian church should not be run in this manner. There is enormous disparity in how individual believers are treated.

Of course, my siblings were so impressed with my 1975 showdown. Later that night the whole family was awake as I screached my head off. I did not say anything so shocking. It shows how your mind becomes warped with fear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit