Dad & Pink Floyd

by peaceloveharmony 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

my dad is in his early fifties. he has always been a lover of music. last year he gave me his guitar, the one i remember him always playing when he was home, except of course during dinner hehe. he bought the guitar used in 1969. it has a big crack in the seam of the body and small cracks on the backside. "from using it like a drum" he told me. the guitar is well worn and i have it sitting out in my apt. and yes, sometimes i attempt to play it! lol

anyway, as you can imagine, lots of music reminds me of him and of growing up. yesterday i was listening to pink floyd's the wall which reminded me of a few stories about my dad.

i was about seven and my brother was around five years old. dad had just gotten a new stereo and was messing with it. checking out all it's options. (this is about 1982, i can just imagine the options available LOL) dad sits kevin and me down, in the center of the sofa and tells us to listen. the song starts to play and it's all instramental. i didn't know who it was but i knew that i liked what i was hearing. enthalled, i wait for the singing to start..it doesn't start and doesn't start yet the music is seems to be building. then we hear a voice, "careful with that axe eugene......" "ARRRGHHHHH" wow! what is this??

about six years later, dad tells me i've got to watch this movie on VH1. i'm thinking, VH1, that's the grown-ups channel! but he tells me it's pink floyd's the wall. *smile* okay dad. i knew going into this that the wall and floyd were not good, ie jw approved, viewing material. but since dad, a jw, was telling me i needed to see this movie, i watched it. (to be fair mom and dad never imposed many viewing, listening and/or reading restrictions on us.) dad would come into the room periodically to ask what i thought so far. it's good, i like it i'd tell him.

a couple years later, dad and i are heading home after the meeting. the classic rock station is on and we are both singing "we don't need no education, we don't need no thought control, no dark sarcasm in the classroom" i remember thinking dad you're so cool :)

i love these memories because music has been something my dad and i have always been able to share. even the awkward years right after my da, we could always talk about music.

• Kep
    Kep

That is so cool.
    Music does wonders I reckon.
    My Dad was into Englebert. Your Dad sounds about the same age as mine. I got him into Dire Straits and Metallica.
    But it is so good to have music linked with memories.
    You should get into some guitaring.
    Your Dad would trip out if you started playing "Shine on you crazy diamond".

• TR
    TR

I love Floyd.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• qadreena
    qadreena

the wall is a movie that changed my life forever, i just love it

xxx angel xxx

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ohh man that's soo great!!!! My parents aren't really into music much and if they are it has to be oldies aka 50's music. I barely got them to listen to Fleetwood Mac, talk about mellow!!!! I'm a HUGE classic rock fan, so we've always fought over the radio in the car!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• bitter mango
  • zev
    zev

plh,

i to am a floyd lover, and i own the wall on dvd.

i remember seeing it when it first came out in the theaters in the 80's i think.

i was high at the time,

it was also my last time high, but i loved the music, the movie, and the story.

all to close to reality for me.

only, i never lost my mind, like pinky did.

-Zev
    Learn about the Wtbts and the U.N.
    ** http://www.geocities.com/plowbitch69 **

• 25ashitaka25
    25ashitaka25

I could play Dark Side 100 times on the way to and from the beach in the summer...

ashi

• JeffT
    JeffT

PLH - to get the full effect of "Eugene" you need to be packed into a dorm room with about 12 other people and a sufficient supply of acid.

Those were the days.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hey peaceloveharmony...loved your story...and your dad sounds so groovy.

I have a brother who was mad on Pink Floyd...it always reminds me of him...he used to use the name "Floyd"; as a handle...or was it he named his guitar Floyd...I can't remember. But as a teenager that's all he used to play...bless his cotton little sox lol...that's when he wasn't practicing to play in the orchestra at the kingdom hall. I don't think they have orchestras anymore...the simplified arrangement took over..CD players.

Beck

ps...I knew I'd find u here Kep...sheesh!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit