What's your opinion?

by noontide 10 Replies latest jw friends

• noontide
    noontide

What’s your opinion of your Human Resources department? Nowadays most companies, large or small, have an HR department. These HR departments can range from 1 to 10 or more individuals depending on the size of your company. What do you think of your HR department, or Human Resources in general?

I ask because recently I’ve noticed that quite a few people in the HR department seem to hate working with people. Some HR people are rude, condescending and apparently unwilling or unable to help the people they are there to assist. Sometimes the Employment Managers instead of making the applicants feel welcome and at ease, seem to enjoy making the applicant nervous. And they sometimes make the applicant wait 30 minutes or more past their scheduled appointment before they take them into the interview itself. Sometimes it feels as though walking into the HR department is like walking into the Principal’s office at school.

Now full disclosure here… I work in HR. I’m an HR Manager and I’m appalled at the behavior of some HR “professionals.” My job connects me with various other HR departments at different companies and I’ve witnessed or have been subject to the behaviors mentioned above on an escalating basis. It’s not until I introduce myself as, “Hi, I’m the HR manager from XYZ company” that the behavior completely changes. When I’m Joe Nobody or they think I’m an applicant, I’m treated like I’m not worth the time, but when the title comes along, all of a sudden, they begin to smile and the attitude completely changes. WTF!?

Not to pat myself too much on the back or to say I’m better than everyone else, but I really try not to act like this. And if I see any one of the people in my office act like this, I immediately correct this behavior. People actually like talking to and coming to our department/office. Am I being delusional? Why can’t more HR departments or HR professionals be more welcoming? The nature of HR in it of itself can be stressful and yes, the rules have to be enforced by HR, but do the HR people have to be jerks because of this?

Ok, as you can probably tell, I had a bad experience with an HR department today. Or maybe I’ve just hit a few rough patches in some HR offices recently. Please help me to restore my faith in my profession! So once again, I ask, what are your experiences and/or thoughts regarding HR?

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

HR dept a mainly anal retentive species, present company excluded

• noontide
    noontide

Finallysomepride, I hate to admit it but I think you are right. Some HR departments seem more interested in "following the rules" rather than helping the employees. I say, follow the law, but also assist your employees.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

my last company i worked for, an american owned company here in australia, we nick named the HR team "the toe clippers"

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

HR - the Dept you never trust, this from an Administrative Assistant's point of view, that's the way we think when you guys come around the lurking/looking for trouble.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

in my experience/opinion the only reason HR dept exist is so the company does not get sued, not for the betterment of the employee/potential employee

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Having worked in payroll, I have had many years of experience of dealing with HR depts.

The HR dept is there primarily for the employer, not the employee. The "human" part of their name is just a way to make them seem more employee-friendly but their soul belongs to the company first and foremost.

I'm sorry if you have to put up with bad staff but if you're in a position to correct the bad behaviour, then you can be a force for the positive.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

The two Human Resource depts. I've had dealings with, one, my own and one, my wifes' have been pretty good. Well done them!

Formerly known as 'Personnel', I think Human Resources sounds like a bit of a 'spare parts' supplier.

I am very impressed with your attitude toward your people, Noontide. Never drop your standards.

• moshe
    moshe

MY old HR was full of liars- that company went bankrupt, but the professional HR minions are still doing the bidding of the new masters.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I have limited contact with my HR department since they are stationed at HQ and I am assigned to a field office 200 miles away. Whenever I need something, it's like pulling teeth to get someone on the phone. It seems they are too busy to actually respond to employees. I'm sure that they have a lot to do, since we have been under a hiring freeze for several years and under a wage freeze for the last year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit