Loss of the Mashco Piro one of the last Stone Age Tribes

by designs 66 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

I remember visiting the Cliff Dwellings in southern Colorado when I was around 6, at the time you could climb wooden ladders and enter the villages which are protected now. The Clans lived there for 800-1000 years.

We could be seeing the last generation of Mashco Piro as they once lived.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Note, everybody - James Woods is NOT saying that this is the case with the Peruvian tribe. (i.e. - like the Tasady fraud)

My point was more that they are probably already too much "contaminated" by modern society for there to be any true anthropological value to be studied.

In which case, why not try to help them out to have better lives?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Thanks, guys!!!

So, their version [the "TASADAY"] of "primitive tribal life" was based on the ideas of the authors of the original article???

The reason I ask...

Looking at modern-day "gypsies", one finds several different groups - the Irish "gypsies", the European "gypsies", and Floridians with Winnebagos...

In the first two instances, there are actually ancient beliefs and practices behind some of their cultures' traditions...

The question is, were these "Tasaday" acting out someone's idea, or did they actually throw some of their ancestral practices in???

NOT a question that you two can answer, but a fun one to ponder...

Zid

• designs
    designs

Have to see how the other Clans in the Amazon region have adapted and assimilated with the modern world. Their lack of immunity could be a big problem, it is speculated that half the Native population in South and Central America died off in the first 50 years after Columbus because of European diseases.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The question is, were these "Tasaday" acting out someone's idea, or did they actually throw some of their ancestral practices in???

I had the idea that the "discoverers" of the Tasaday tried to implant sort of a "flower child sixties value system" on them. It was the late sixties, after all. They were no different than any other backwoods Phillipine people of the time in reality.

Sort of like Margaret Meade fed the "free love/free sex" theme to the Island Girls - who were later discovered to have made the whole thing up with Meade as she went along.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Can someone please explain the woman on the right? I'm sure I'm just looking at it wrong or it would have been pointed out before now, but to me it looks like she has 3 arms and one leg. I'm trying to see one of the arms as a leg and I'm not pulling it off. I need an anatomy lesson, apparently. Thanks.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Their lack of immunity could be a big problem, it is speculated that half the Native population in South and Central America died off in the first 50 years after Columbus because of European diseases.

They had already been dying off before 1492. There were plagues and in many places they exceeded the carrying capacity of the land and had famines. Eurasian diseases only speeded it up.

Great book:

http://www.amazon.com/1491-Revelations-Americas-Before-Columbus/dp/140004006X

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I'm sure I'm just looking at it wrong or it would have been pointed out before now, but to me it looks like she has 3 arms and one leg.

Her leg is crossed over. Two legs. Two arms.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Nevermind, I got it. Jeez, I don't know why I couldn't pick that out.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "There were plagues and in many places they exceeded the carrying capacity of the land...." botchtower society

Hah!!!

RAther like the Europeans and the bubonic plague during a major portion of the "dark" ages in Europe...

Europe was long overdue for a culling, at that time...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit