Can someone please help me?

by ruderedhead 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Hello, I'm new to posting here, although I have been reading and gaining insight for quite a while. Thank you to all of you.

I wrote a letter of disassociation this week, and sent it to the local KH. I have been faded for a number of years, and after much research, know that the Witnesses do not have the Truth. I called one friend that I had kept infrequent contact with to let her know so she was not taken by surprise. I'm shaking after that conversation. After all she has been through with the Witnesses, I thought she might be more open to my reasons. She was not, and started throwing scripture & WT speak at me. I became flustered, and while trying to justify some things, mis spoke about the destruction of Babylon, calling it the destruction of Jerusalem.( My point was the 1914 generation teaching.) I'm going to send her a brief note citing my mistake, but I feel like a fool. I handled this poorly.I spoke to her about the WT NGO status. She was unaware,but justified it, and said she would look it up. I suggested she go to a site other than the WT web site. She kept telling me I was looking at apostate literature. I told her one had to look at more than one source. She asked where I was going to go? To God and Jesus Christ, I replied.( Is it just me, or is that one of the dumbest questions?) I handled this poorly, and due to my inability to speak over her, she may never see the light. I simply became too flustered. I told her I did not call to argue or debate, that I had been researching for over a year, & I just wanted to tell her my decision, and that I loved her and wished her well. There were other things I tried to point out, but she had a response, sometimes very poor, to them. She is a good woman with some (imho) odd ideas in general. Now I'm questioning if I should have done this. Thankfully, My son & I were the only ones who were baptised witnesses, and he came out before I did. So I am really losing nothing, but I wish this friend could see the light.She put me on notice, kindly, that she would no longer speak to me.I hope she reads my note about my mistake.Does anyone knoe if Rutherford was really a judge? Thank you for letting me post, and for all the help you have unknowingly given to me.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Welcome.

Never discuss doctrine. <--------- THIS.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Dear ruderedhead,

Please don't blame yourself for what other people believe or can't believe.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Acting judge for about a week.

• Londo111
    Londo111

We all make mistakes like this. I know I've done it. You should read Captives of a Concept if you have not already. It shows in detail how the veil is put over their eyes.

Rutherford was a lawyer who played substitute judge only on four occasions. It's like calling a subsitute CO, a CO, when he's only subsituted during four meetings.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Welcome and congrats on your awakening!

As for your friend you must understand...she responded the way SHE WAS PROGRAMMED to respond.

Understand that it is a powerful conditioning that the JW's undergo. Look at yourself, you said after being faded and your own research you were able to come to these conclusions, now imagine dropping that info on someone who is unsuspecting and not open to criticle thinking against the WTS.

I know for me it took 2 yrs of being out before I could type in 'Jehovah's witnesses' into a search engine and look at the results with out feeling guilty.

Once again congrats on your awakening, but understand that you cant drop bombshells on people who dont even realized they are asleep and ensnared.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Please don't blame yourself for what other people believe or can't believe. ..." n.Drew

GOOD point, Nancy!!!

Ruderhead, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!

Don't beat yourself up. I suspect that you did a better job than you're giving yourself credit for.

But I have a suggestion...

If you think that you'll ever get the chance to speak to any Jehovah's Witnesses again - and you feel that you might want to briefly explain your reasons for dis-associating....

You might want to practice your comments beforehand.

Your son might want to participate; you might be able to hone your ability to speak briefly and eloquently on your reasons for leaving by talking with an interested neighbor or co-worker [OFF the clock, but you already knew that ], which would also serve the purpose of preventing THEM from ever joining such a sect based on inaccurate data...

Me, I just hold practice arguements with the left-over cult teachings still stuck in my brain...

Zid - the board's She-Devil

• Ding
    Ding

The WTS wants JWs to think there is nowhere else to go besides them. WRONG!

Don't beat yourself up over your encounter with your friend.

You aren't responsible for her decisions.

Also, Ruderedhead, I've sent you a PM.

You access PMs by clicking on the little envelope in the upper right corner.

If you get an error message, go back and click on the envelope again.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Whooops... Damn, I misspelled his/her name...

• yknot
    yknot

Ya the Judge gig was a temp assignment...... no cases if I recall.

Piss poor lawyer if I you read through the 'railroaded' court hearing....

Ya you over played, got excited and flustered...... it is totally common, so is her reaction.

Allow time to chill, if you really want her in your life ........backtrack and ask for 'help' use only WT publications....

Huggles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit