Most JWs Lack Bible Knowledge - How Can They Teach What they know not

by Band on the Run 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The latest generation of kids (18-26) don't impress me with their knowledge. It saddened me to learn, field service is key (Bible knowledge and love of the flock) are not what stand out. Some Elders are sadly lacking in knowledge of God's refreshing word! TV is killing Bible Study and Magazine reading nights, sacrifice TV, or the Xbox, they say "NOT!" Why study when you can drink a six pack and a few shots of vodka?

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Nimrod is a theological concept.

Nimrod—An Insolent Rebel

Doubtless, Nimrod was the ringleader. Genesis chapter 10 introduces him as “a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah.” (Genesis 10:9) The Scriptures also say that “he made the start in becoming a mighty one in the earth.” (Genesis 10:8) Nimrod was a warrior, a man of violence. He became the first human ruler after the Flood, appointing himself as king. Nimrod was also a builder. The Bible credits him with being the founder of eight cities, including Babel.—Genesis 10:10-12.

Hence, Nimrod—an opposer of God, a king of Babel, and a constructor of cities—undoubtedly shared in building the tower of Babel. Did he not make a celebrated name for himself? Concerning the name Nimrod, Orientalist E. F. C. Rosenmüller wrote: “The name was given to Nimrod from [ma·radh′], ‘he rebelled,’ ‘he defected,’ according to the Hebrew meaning.” Then Rosenmüller explains that “Orientals are accustomed not rarely to call their noblemen by names given after death, from which comes the, at times, amazing agreement between names and things done.”

Several scholars share the opinion that the name Nimrod was not a name given at birth. Rather, they consider it to be a name given later to suit his rebellious character after it became manifest. For example, C. F. Keil states: “The name itself, Nimrod from [ma·radh′], ‘we will revolt,’ points to some violent resistance to God. It is so characteristic that it can only have been given by his contemporaries, and thus have become a proper name.” In a footnote, Keil quotes historian Jacob Perizonius as writing: “I would believe that this man [Nimrod], as a ferocious hunter and surrounded by a band of comrades, in order to incite the rest to rebellion, always had in his mouth and geminated that word ‘nimrod, nimrod,’ that is, ‘Let us rebel! Let us rebel!’ Hence, in later times, he was designated by others, even Moses himself, by that word as a proper name.

Clearly, Nimrod did not make a celebrated name for himself. The name given to him at birth apparently is unknown. It has been erased from history, as have the names of those who followed his lead. He did not even leave any offspring to carry his name. Instead of receiving glory and fame, he has been vested with infamy. The name Nimrod has forever labeled him an insolent rebel who foolishly challenged Jehovah God.

w98 3/15 pp. 24-25

What is the origin of the name Nimrod? - Several scholars share the opinion that the name Nimrod was not a name given at birth. Rather, they consider it to be a name given later to suit his rebellious character after it became manifest.—3/15, page 25.

w98 4/15 p. 31 / Do You Remember?

Some believe that Marduk, who was regarded as founder of the Babylonian Empire, represents the deified Nimrod. However, this cannot be stated with certainty.

Pay Attention to Daniel’s Prophecy! (1999), chap. 5 p. 69

• designs
    designs

Also applies to Jewish people and Jewish groups ie Sadduccees and Pharisees which are overwhelmingly used as the negative example.

• Alfred
    Alfred

I find that many JWs have simply memorized an entire repertoire of texts that have been repeated continuously over the years (along with their corresponding twisted interpretations). But very few have taken the time to actually analyze what they read...

This reminds me of when I had to memorize the periodic table in chemistry class... Oh I memorized it alright... and people around me were amazed at how much I knew about chemistry... The truth was: I knew nothing about chemistry... I was merely able to regurgitate the periodic table and few tid-bits about chemistry here and there... but I knew nothing about chemistry at all...

Likewise today, some people are amazed at how many texts JWs are able regurgitate on demand... but the fact is that most JWs know nothing about the Bible itself...

just my opinion from my own personal observations...

• Room 215
    Room 215

... I've often wondered what's the percentage of the Bible's more than 31,000 verses that comprises the JWs core beliefs? "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial," but some are more equal than others!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

What are you guys talking about? JWs are extremely well-versed in Scripture. Problem is, their holy book is the Watchtower. It's like talking to Mormons about the Bible. They believe they know the Bible, because they believe it says the same thing as the BoM. When they discover it doesn't, they just say "pray on it, for Holy Father to give you faith" and scatter like roaches. Just like JWs, they side-step, put on blinders, stick their fingers in their ears, and scream "lalalalalalalala" so they won't be confused by the truth. JWs don't preach the Bible, because the Bible doesn't say what they want it to.

Similarly, they don't talk about Jesus much, because he won't listen to them. For 130 years, he's stubbornly refused to come when he's called. They view him as a lousy waiter, won't bring the check when they tell him to.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Very true about the Pharisees. Jesus dined with them. Many of his teachings are influenced by a Pharisee take. He fit the image of a Pharisee rabbi, serving in the countryside rather than being a priest at the Temple. The Christian Pauline take is very different from what Jesus said. If he ever said those things. I wonder if Nimrod ever existed. The cathedral is very progressive.

• undercover
    undercover

Back when I was a kid, I remember the older dubs going door to door and using their Bible first, reading up to 3, 4 or 5 scriptures before ever pulling out a WT publication. Those oldsters knew their Bible... at least the part that the WTS wanted them to know.

Over time though, it's apparent that each generation (over-lapping or not) knows less about the Bible than the previous one.

They rarely use their Bible in service these days. They only use it at meetings to read the odd verse here and there...usually one of a select couple dozen that get repeated over and over.

They set up a Bible reading schedule, but you can tell over the last decade or so no one is adhering to it.

They don't read it on their own, they don't use it in service and they only use it at meetings when told to. It's so bad now that the WTS has had to put in writing, "READ" next to the scriptures they want read during the WT study.

The last meeting I went to, a memorial, a couple years ago, I, who haven't opened a Bible in a few years, was finding scriptures faster than everyone around me. Not only do they not know what their Bible says, they can't even find the book of Matthew without flipping pages back and forth. You'd think that years of looking up the same verses over and over they could at least find the major books.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I agree that many JWs simply know how to regurgitate what is taught in the halls and not much more.

However, i would like to comment on the post about Noah above. First it is really disturbing that the Watchtower society continues to modify bible verses to scratch itself on the back.

With that said, i must disagree when you say that Matthew 24:39 says that people had no idea that the great floor was coming. In reality by focusing on the words "and they did not understand until the flood came" you are making the same mistake that JWs make, by isolating words in the bible to support a belief.

In order to understand the meaning of what is said here, it's better to simply look at the situation. Jesus was comparing his second coming with the events of the great flood. He indicated they were similar in the sense that people would be caught off guard by his second coming. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that they didn't know that there will be a second coming. Obviously the entire world (hopefully) knows this, yet many will be caught off guard and will only realize what is happening when it's too late.

Same thing in Noah's time. It seems logical to think that those people were also warned, but simply ignored it. The bible in fact does not specifically say that Noah preached about this, but the bible does call him "preacher of rightneouness". Additionally just by applying a little logic to this, it is true that God has always warned people of impending destruction or judgement and most often than not, has always used humans to distribute the warning, so common send tells us that if God is consistent, he would have done the same here.

• shepherd
    shepherd

"In reality by focusing on the words "and they did not understand until the flood came" you are making the same mistake that JWs make, by isolating words in the bible to support a belief."

That's untrue. I am not supporting a belief, I am simply saying the original manuscripts do not say the people 'took no note'. This is confirmed by all other translations. The original Greek simply does not say it.

"It seems logical to think that those people were also warned, but simply ignored it. The bible in fact does not specifically say that Noah preached about this, but the bible does call him 'preacher of rightneouness'."

It is not the place of a translator to apply their opinions but to put in another language what the original writer was saying. If the original writer wanted to say the people of Noah's day ignored the warnings he was able to do so. He didn't. Instead he wrote they were all living their lives, unaware of what was about to happen, and he likened it to the coming of the Son of Man.

Matthew 24:36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Referring to Noah as a 'preacher of righteouness' means he preached righteousness. The Bible does not say he warned anyone of an impending Flood. In fact, Genesis is very detailed about what Noah was to do:

Genesis 6:11 Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. 13 So God said to Noah, “I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them. I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth. 14 So make yourself an ark of cypress wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. 16 Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. 17 I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish. 18 But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons’ wives with you. 19 You are to bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you. 20 Two of every kind of bird, of every kind of animal and of every kind of creature that moves along the ground will come to you to be kept alive. 21 You are to take every kind of food that is to be eaten and store it away as food for you and for them.”

22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him.

Genesis 7 The LORD then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”

5 And Noah did all that the LORD commanded him.

In the scriptures God was very specific in what Noah had to do. He provided extensive details of how to build the Ark and what to put in it. NOWHERE is anything said about warning anyone. In fact the scriptures state God judged everyone and then decided who would survive, no suggestion at all is made that anyone could repent. Rather, God makes a covenant with Noah to save certain specific people only.

You can apply logic and conclude Noah preached and the people ignored him, but the Bible does not actually say he did, and the NWT has altered Matthew to state the people 'took no note' when this is not what the original Greek says at all.

If, after reading the Bible you conclude it probably happened a certain way that's fine, but it is not fine to change the scriptures themselves to state something that the original writers did not write. This is not a case of ambigious Greek with multiple possible meanings. This is a case of altering what the Bible says. It's true it's just a few words, but the entire meaning is changed by it.

BOTR is right. JW's automatically believe what they are told. And relying on the NWT alone is dangerous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit