Is my marriage worth saving?

by sacdfan 66 Replies latest social relationships

• its_me!
    its_me!

DJeggnog---- I do have a bias against you because you act like a pompous creep. I don't have a bias against the other activce JWs on here because they do not offend me as you do. But remember, that is just my opinion, which I am aloud to voice. As for you telling me that I have to resign from posting for 30 days if I don't prove something to you, I am going to assume that was a joke, you know, one of those that you make with your outstanding sense of humor. Your ego seems to be quite out of control. You think that you are helping lurkers on this site to perhaps turn back to the JW religion with the kinds of posts you make? You may want to examine your reasoning there. And telling me there is nothing to win? No, there is not anything advantageous about a conversation with you. It is frustrating, which I am sure is what you are going for. But call it a weakness, I couldn't resist. I don't have a problem with active members of the religion being on here. I just have a problem with people who use this site to stir crap, like you. For the most part, we are here to build one another up, and have beneficial discussions. You are very counterproductive to this process. Once again, I feel confident that this is your aim. I think most people call that sort of poster a troll.

Sorry to all again for not staying on topic.

• tif21
    tif21

DJeggnog, WALK A MILE IN OUR SHOES AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@its_me!:

I do have a bias against you....

Yes, and I knew this, which is the reason I said what I did in my previous post, but that's ok. I don't come to JWN to make friends, and I would not want you to behave in any other manner toward my ilk, since pretending to be tolerant or at least friendly to a stranger would be hypocritical and thus exposes a character flaw. No, your bias toward me is consistent with the kind of individual you are and desire to be, and I would not expect you to be anything more than who you are as a person.

You think that you are helping lurkers on this site to perhaps turn back to the JW religion with the kinds of posts you make?

My answer may surprise you, but no. My hope is that those lurking the threads to which I have posted here on JWN will come to realize on their own that much of their discontent is not so much with the "Borg" itself, but with the very human failings that all of us have, including the failings that many of our elders in the local congregation have.

It is often the case that the perceived contempt with which some elders are culpable is due to their never having learned the finesse they need in order to treat the people they call "Brother" or "Sister" as they would a member of their own family. (It's sad that some elders are seen to treat the flock better than they do members of their own family, whether these family members be in the truth or not, and as the OP has revealed about her husband, who is not an elder, he tends to treat people in the congregation better than he does his own wife.)

While neither you nor I may be marriage counselors and none of the elders should not be pretending to be such, those of us having a wife or a husband and/or one or more children have gained valuable life experience and spiritual perspective, which can prove to be beneficial to those believing themselves to be in "bad" marriages should we elect to provide spiritual counsel to those asking for help. But to be effective in this regard, such counselors must remain emotionally detached, for where physical abuse or child abuse by a parent are concerned, such are criminal matters that should, in my opinion, be reported immediately to the authorities, lest the anger or mental illness manifest in one of the parties escalate and lead to serious injury or death.

No one knows what's really going on in someone else's marriage; the OP whose marriage woes is the subject of this thread has told us that even she has no idea what's really going on with her husband or what it was that persuaded him to treat her as if his wife were invisible. I have made a few suggestions to @sacdfan that could open up to her an opportunity to have a dialogue with her husband in an attempt to learn what's going on with him, but I don't believe it appropriate for me, or for anyone, to interfere in someone else's marriage.

A suggestion is one thing, but to insinuate oneself into someone's marriage offends Jehovah, who has only vested husbands with authority over their own wives. Marriages are real living things that differ from another based on the two unique individuals that were joined in wedlock, and because no one can live up to a decision made by someone else, only the two parties that were joined in matrimony bear responsibility for the decisions made in them.

Spiritual shepherds would not want to learn the intimate personal details of a couple's marriage through the party emotionally affected and willing to tell all, for this could prove to be spiritually damaging to the other party if such were shared without the mutual consent of both parties. Since what is learned may be embarrassing to the other party and cannot be unlearned, a professional marriage counselor may be better equipped to handle sensitive details. This is why I never go there.

Quite frankly, I've found many of the comments made in this thread to be offensive, since they presume a power with which human beings have not been endowed by Jehovah, since we aren't equipped to direct our own steps, let alone the steps in someone else's marriage! Of course, Moses led the entire nation of Israel, but he had divine help to do so, and must patiently wait for Kingdom rule.

And telling me there is nothing to win?

My tongue was in my cheek when I wrote that, but I was saying that as far as arguments go, there is no argument to win here. I joined this thread in an attempt to help the OP by making a few suggestions that might lead to resolution of her problem. I had not sought to argue with anyone; I just wanted to make a helpful comment to the OP.

Sorry to all again for not staying on topic.

If you owe anyone an apology, it would be to the OP, but I believe @sacdfan will realize it was because of something I wrote that caused you to go off-topic. Right now she's looking for suggestions on how she ought to proceed, and if it is true that @sacdfan's husband is using his wife to help him get through school, she needs to confront him about his agenda. I can think of no valid reason though why the OP should be pressed to discuss what her "life situation" is with her husband, or asked to speculate how she might feel living as a single woman again. How would you feel were someone to pry details about your "life situation" with your husband?

Jehovah hates divorce and, anyway, couples ought to view marriage as being more valuable than a house. (While over time, a house does require fixing or tweaking, and being a homeowner, I don't know anyone that would want to just walk away from their own home.) Perhaps you will be able to help the OP by providing a suggestion of your own, @its_me!

So whether you should forever hate me or be forever disgruntled with Jehovah's organization, my hope is that you will not remain angry indefinitely. May our future outcomes will be met with only that which is best for each of us.

@djeggnog

• JAFO
    JAFO

Totally OT but what the hell...

Re djeggnog.. As Superintendant Chalmers said about Principal Skinner: "I swear, the stick up that man's ass has a stick up its' ass..."

@ sacdfan: No, it's not worth saving.. you deserve a life. Next question?

• just Ron
    just Ron

@scadfan if you are still bothering to look at your thread.

How are things going in your marriage now?

Have you made a decision on what you are going to do?

Sometime we don't need others to tell us what to do but just need some one to listen

• sacdfan
    sacdfan

Thanks just Ron.

I'm not sure what to do, but I am sure that we are growing further apart. He is a committed JW - I am not. He spends all his time and energy on the WT so it's likely things won't get better.

I believe that this life isn't all there is. So it isn't just a matter of leaving him because life is so short and I deserve better. If I left and met someone and had a 'happier' life, there is still the future - I mean after death - the future I believe we have with Jesus. My husband believes we will live forever on earth - I believe a Christian's future is in heaven. But can I sacrifice my hope for the future on a few years of happiness now? I still love my husband - we have been through a lot, I will always care for him and he is the father of my children, so whatever happens we will always be connected.

I also believe that marriage is for keeps - God hates divorces - so it's more than likely I will move out and we will live separately, but I would never look for anyone else to share my life with - it's far too late for that now and I don't want a relationship with another man. We will stay married but separated and I will concentrate on my faith, family, hobbies, work and friends - maybe that's all I can ever expect - it's far more than some people have.

Thanks to all of you for helping me clear my head :)

sacdfan

• elderelite
    elderelite

Sweety..... I have heard that before. Too many times. Women who are being neglected at best, more often abused in some form or fashion, will say "it could be worse".

Yes. Yes it could be worse. You could be in a middle eastern prision, tourtured daily in horrific ways. You could be in a comma from which you would never awake. You could be abducted by aliens and, after they are done experimenting you, jettisioned into space. Those all seems worse to me.

But thats not what you asked. Your post wasnt "could it be worse". The question you asked, the question your heart is moving you to explore, was "is my marriage worth saving". Really no one here can answer that for you. But the question speaks to a lot of very valid points. You seem to be wondering "is this as good as it gets"? "is this what i dreamed of in marriage"? "is this what i deserve... Did i earn this... Am i being punished... Am i a bad wife and somehow created this, reaping what i sowed....?" and many others...

Thus much of the advise you was trying to reasure you that no, a cold and lifeless marriage is NOT what you deserve. You didnt earn this. Its not what you dreamed of and no one deserves to be treated as less than loved deeply by their spouse, cared for and considered as valuable, treated as such everyday. No marriage is perfect.... But dear, hes not even trying. Hes got another woman filling his needs, emotionally at a minimum. Hes already checked out of the relationship. You may as well chase random men down the street and be ignored by them if thats all you want or feel you deserve.

Dont doubt your value or worth, dont treat yourself he is treating you. And dont fall into the trap of making excuses and imaging it could be worse. Its not about how bad it COULD be. Its about how bad IT IS and knowing, if he wont work with you to make it better, it will only get worse.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is certainly your decision as to your future, but right now, could you find some women's travel groups? The ones where groups of women travel together to interesting locations? How about taking trips with your children? Visiting them?

Don't allow this man to dictate your happiness. How about if you take your own on-line courses? In other words, choose to live a more exciting life, even if at present you don't change your address.

• oompa
    oompa

wow...you should read about 7000 of my posts....then i re read parts of yours....and you said it all...you answered your own questions....i like your style........oompa

• yknot
    yknot

My Dearest Sister,

Your mind and heart are racing.

Not a good time to make foolish decisions.

A) You will not move out, he will. (no excuses, he knew his financial situation when he started that affair....and he still chose to cheat on you! He is a grown man and it will do him good to be held fully accountable for his actions!)

B) God doesn't hate the legal act of divorce it is what leads up to the need for a divorce he hates...... (and this is all your husband's fault, not yours! So much more he could have done to convince you of his regret, repentance, love, dedication and wanting to be in a relationship with you!....cue taylor swift's 'Your're Not Sorry' song)

C) Yes you will accept the love of a good man who wants to build a life with you, you have so much love and goodness to offer that God doesn't want you to waste your life over your first husband's failings.

D) He isn't as 'dedicated or committed' as you think he is to the JWs! The JWs made him feel "special" and he is using that as an excuse to pursue his wants over that of yall's relationship. I want to remind you it didn't stop him from starting an affair, maintaining that affair and as you acknowledged the only reason he (at least on the surface) has ended it was not on moral grounds but because you found out and demanded he end things. As painful as it feels and hurts to realize......he will move on sexually from you too and probably within the first year if not sooner. A Brother who commits fornication in lieu of an departed spouse is forgiven faster then a Sister in most congregations.

E) Stages of Grief, learn them!

F) Be angry (yes I know it ain't lady like but it is important for you to acknowledge those justified feelings)

G) Let your 'church family' support and help you!

Breathe, this too shall pass.......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit