untitled

by goldensky 2 Replies latest jw friends

• goldensky
    goldensky

Hi, my dear friends! I haven't posted anything for a long while, but that doesn't mean you are not in my heart any longer. Nothing could be further from reality!

I just wrote this letter, one I wish I had received when I was fifteen years old, and I thought I'd share it with you. Here it goes:

"My dearest, dearest Olga,

I know receiving this letter will come as an absolute shock to you and your head will shake in disbelief at first, but in the end you'll have to give in and accept it is really me who's addressing you, the person you will become in thirty-five years' time, your future self. It's my profound tenderness for you, when I contemplate the young, naive and inexperienced girl I used to be, that moves me to contact you now. Also the awareness that I'm in an ideal position to help you live your life more fully, because I've been where you are now and I'm totally familiar with your feelings and beliefs. Besides, with the benefit of hindsight, I know what you'll go through in the course of the next few decades and I've acquired a fairly good amount of vital knowledge and experience that you can't possibly have attained yet.

You're only fifteen at the moment. Oh, I remember what it was like as if it were yesterday! So many things have happened since then... Please grant me your full attention, since it can save you a lot of heartache and secure you a much more fulfilling life than the one you will lead if you don't listen to my advice.

First and foremost - and I know what I'm about to say may put you off continuing to read any further, but it's so crucial that you hear this from me that I'm willing to risk your tearing this letter up in three seconds, so here it goes - : THIRTY YEARS FROM NOW YOU WILL DISCOVER THAT "THE TRUTH" IS NOT THE TRUTH AFTER ALL. Does this scandalize you? Are you floored beyond words? Remember, it's me, your adult self, who's telling you this. I know right now it's just impossible for you to envision this new truth, but in the end you'll find out by yourself when the time comes, so, why not start right now to make a thorough inquiry into it? I know you don't have the Internet yet, which has been an invaluable tool for me to access useful information (one day you'll wonder how you could live without it for so long), but you don't really need it: just read old publications written by the Society, find how the whole belief system of the Witnesses came into existence and brace yourself to make some astounding discoveries that will completely change the path in life you'll choose to walk. Remember: even if you don't dare do it now, you will inevitably reach the same conclusions later in life, only by then you will have wasted precious years, so take courage and make this investigation your top priority immediately. I know you will if you've read this far, because I'm fully aware of your sincerity as regards your search for the truth.

Once you open your eyes to reality, gracefully say goodbye to the only way of life you've known and the friends you're leaving behind and, without looking back, dive head-on into the whole new universe of endless opportunities that's awaiting you. Read from all sources that draw your interest, listen intently to other people's opinions, inquire in a spirit of open-mindedness, because, contrary to what you've been led to believe so far, many if not most human beings from all walks of life are trying to maintain high standards of behaviour, and each one can be a wellspring of inspiration to you if only you give them a chance.

Moving on to another subject now: I have to warn you that, unless you do something about it, you are about to enter a rather painful phase of your life that will bring you sorrow for many years: your body will soon get curvier than you wish and you'll become quite self-conscious about it. But you can spare yourself all the agonizing distress I have experienced if only you start acquiring sensible eating habits without delay, developing a healthy relationship with food and making moderate exercise a regular part of your life. Treat this wonderful instrument with all the care and gratefulness it deserves and the reward for your efforts will be a beautiful body that will loyally accompany and serve you throughout life, bringing you countless pleasurable moments.

Something else; the concepts about sex that have been drilled into your mind since childhood are altogether wrong. Not only is it not sinful to have sexual relations with the different men you will happen to be in love with, but it is downright wholesome! Don't let anybody make you feel guilty about it, no matter how well-intentioned they may be.

And in connection with this, don't be disappointed when the apparently unrepeatable initial rapture of your relationship with somebody keeps fading away with one person after another: it doesn't mean anything has failed, it's only a natural irreversible process. Just resolve not to make any drastic decisions while you are experiencing total bliss, but to wait for the magic to subside before determining if a particular man is someone you are willing to commit yourself to in a long-lasting relationship. Also, no matter how many years you've spent with that person, don't hesitate to break up and start afresh if you gradually realize you wouldn't me choosing the same man again.

I'm fully conscious you couldn't care less about having kids right now, and I know for a fact you will remain like this for years to come, but, take it from me, don't wait too long to enjoy the matchless joys of motherhood. Later in life you will regret not having had them earlier and not having had more, because, yes, you are going to have children and they will add a whole new unimaginable dimension to your life...

Just one more thought to sum up the essence of my advice to you: live in the present moment, don't lose yourself in regret over the past or concern about the future. Savour every second of the amount of time you've been granted to live on this planet, every fraction of it, because inevitable you will find yourself where I am now sooner than you believe possible.

I know you will take serious heed of my words. Actually, I could almost feel it within myself when my words ripped a veil open in your young heart the mind-boggling instant at some point during your reading when you came to the full realization it's actually me who has written these lines, you, in reality... I can feel very distinctly the full weight of responsibility that comes with knowing this letter has already begun to irreversibly alter your course in life and its outcome, and, inextricably, my own present life as well.

May you make the best out of this privileged knowledge that's been bestowed upon you.

With all my love, YOUR FUTURE SELF."

I'd love to read the letters you'd send to your younger selves...

• journey-on
    journey-on

A great idea! A letter to your younger self!

I have often thought of the little girl I was, remembering some of the fears, the sadness, and the disappointments I had being raised as a JW. I imagine myself going to her and picking her up in my arms and giving her the kind of attention and affection she needed as a unique individual....not just the good little JW girl she had to be. But, I also remember the love from my well-meaning parents although there was something missing that caused me to feel so very isolated at times.

I think I'll write that little girl a letter!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Good letter. I have imagined myself going back in time to my teenage self and explaining to him that I am from the year 2012 and everything is still here!

I might have thought I was sent from the Devil!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit