Confirmation bias as observed in brain scans

by SweetBabyCheezits 36 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: I'm just amazed at how quickly my fellow armchair scientists feel qualified to shoot down PhDs who have lengthy experience in their fields.
    James Woods: That is my critical thinking at work.

Perhaps but I wanted to be sure you weren't confusing skepticism out of ignorance - which I've been guilty of - with critical thinking. Anyone can shout bullshit! from the bleachers and call it critical thinking.

James Woods: Sorry, but nobody (and I do mean NOBODY - PhD or not) can tell what somebody is thinking from an MRI or other brain scan.

Nobody claimed to know what the subjects were thinking, nor did they claim the implications of this study were cold hard facts. They were studying which PARTS of the brain were active and inactive when subjects processed specific statements. To quote the Abstract from this study:

"Motivated reasoning was associated with activations of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, anterior cingulate cortex, posterior cingulate cortex, insular cortex, and lateral orbital cortex. As predicted, motivated reasoning was not associated with neural activity in regions previously linked to cold reasoning tasks and conscious (explicit) emotion regulation. The findings provide the first neuroimaging evidence for phenomena variously described as motivated reasoning, implicit emotion regulation, and psychological defense. They suggest that motivated reasoning is qualitatively distinct from reasoning when people do not have a strong emotional stake in the conclusions reached."

James Woods: We simply do not have that level of technology - it is akin to claiming that a gypsy lady can read your mind or tell your future.

Right, that's a great comparison because we all know that gypsy ladies have made amazing strides in neuroscience recently, haven't they?

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Right, that's a great comparison because we all know that gypsy ladies have made amazing strides in neuroscience recently, haven't they?

Yes, and the Michelin Man (Bibendo) always consults them before settling on the exact tread pattern for Ferrari tires.

I liked Bibendo better when he was pictured smoking cigars and drinking a martini.

But, that is not critical thinking. That is just emotion.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    James: Sorry, but nobody (and I do mean NOBODY - PhD or not) can tell what somebody is thinking from an MRI or other brain scan. We simply do not have that level of technology - it is akin to claiming that a gypsy lady can read your mind or tell your future.

Maybe when you were a young pup, that was sci-fi. Now it's reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kmrr2R6F_U

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    We simply do not have that level of technology - it is akin to claiming that a gypsy lady can read your mind or tell your future.
    Let me see your hand
  • SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Beks: Let me see your hand

Haha, hey, Beks! How goes it??

Yeah, the comparison of neuroscience to foretune-telling made me think of Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Let me see your hand

Beks! I did not know you were a Gypsy queen!

or - did you mean you want to see my cards?

OK - back on topic: (and leaving aside for the moment the notion that an MRI can read your thoughts) -

If I understand correctly, the point in the original post is that people who have deeply held religious or political beliefs do not use an objective critical analysis of them, but just repeat them from rote. This is true - IMHO.

Possibly (probably) lamentable - but it is human nature, and probably not much can be done about it. Finally, though - in some cases (as with a questioning JW) something really illogical comes to light which cannot be explained. At that point, the mental conditioning finally gets questioned and perhaps gets changed.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Just to clarify, fMRI is different from a standard MRI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_magnetic_resonance_imaging

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit