Have shunning rules changed?

by tank 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

It is hard to say what individual jws will do based on the written rules of the WTS. Some bend the rules, others don't. Some will tell you if a family member has died, others don't. Officially, there is no change. How has your sister treated you in the past?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

At our circuit assembly one of the speakers gave a little tongue lashing to people using "necessary family business" as an excuse to associate more than they should.

• tank
    tank

Thanks for all your responses, ( I enjoy this board even though I don't comment much)

When my mother was alived she still called me and even invited me over to stay since I now live very far away, but that got cancelled later(I suspect through a special needs talk or something)

My sister has never called me and is married to an elder, When my mother died I was notified by a relative who is also an elder, and I asked if it was ok for me to go the funeral, and he said yes.

Just wondering if even funerals at kingdom halls are off limits now.

Not being notified that your father died, I find that pretty harsh.

• moshe
    moshe

I would talk to your sister's neighbors and ask them to contact you, if your father goes into the hospital or dies. Hopefuly they know what is going on.

• moshe
    moshe

Also, talk to the local funeral home directors, and ask them to contact you if your father's funeral should be held there.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The April issue of The Watchtower purports to provide an unverifiable account of the actions of particular members of the religion who cut off all contact with a family member. The article certainly endorses that action. It does not specifically indicate any change in policy regarding previously (ambiguously stated) 'necessary family business', but carries a very strong implication of minimising that which might be considered 'necessary'.

The July 2011 article did also 'warn' members about trying to "rationalize" "regular association" by calling it "necessary family business".

I agree with moshe that it may be a good idea to arrange with your sister's neighbours to keep you informed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit