got hotmail hacked...anyone help me?

by Aussie Oz 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

my hotmail got/is hacked.

I have no idea how, i never open links or downloads i dont trust etc etc. started when i noticed i couldnt open hatmail in EI and had to use firefox.

It sent emails to all my contacts (i have multiple accounts with their own passwords, so i dont know if went thru them too) and i know my dad opened one and it shut his pc down so bad he's had to take it into a shop.

I ran a scan and removed one trojan win32.

I went onto a different Pc and changed all passwords then logged off and back on, checked emails. Sent emails to warm my contacts. At no time on the other pc was an email opened but now that pc tried to download something so it got turned off right way.

now we are afraid to use emails on either pc, i have a laptop that i am not game to even turn on now!

what now?

can hotmail itself be hacked or is it mine?

oz

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I know nothing, so my advice is worth nothing, but you may have been hit by one of those automated programs that runs through millions of passwords in a couple of minutes. A 'strong' password has letters and numbers, upper and lower-case. As for your computers, disable the internet and run an anti-virus scan, then use a restore point to erase any left-over crap. Good luck. This advice is worth $00.00 and may not help.

Maybe someone else has some better ideas?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Get a Mac - alternatively reinstall Windows, get a decent av program and use FF/Chrome instead of IE, update Flash/Adobe/MS regularly.

• talesin
    talesin

Do you have a facebook account? If so, did you receive an email from facebook asking you to login? This is a common way that emails get hacked.

You might want to try running a 'boot scan' -- go to your antivirus and set it to run one. It will run when you start up your pc,,, in DOS, before Windows kicks in. Sometimes viruses are hiding in your Windows software.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

If your antivirus doesn't have that feature, you can d/l Avast! for free, and run a bootscan using that freeware, then disable it if you don't want to keep it.

t

• shamus100
    shamus100

Get a mac. Contraray to naysayers, you don't require anti-virus on it unless you look up really naughty things on the net.

2 years virus free and no anti-virus. :D

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

sigh... so stressed.

I run anti virus and be careful but i guess these things happen.

WHY? why have people set this shit in motion? money i guess.

• cedars
    cedars

Aussie Oz - sorry to hear you're having techno trouble.

I'm no IT boffin, but I have also had a hotmail account hacked before, and I know a little bit about getting rid of viruses.

Don't ask me why, but even virus programs can't remove everything. I would highly recommend downloading Malwarebytes Anti-malware. It's free to use as a one-off, and it finds all the nasty little pieces of malware that have infected your system and gets rid of them. You should notice an improvement after downloading and running that piece of software.

I would also think about switching to a gmail or yahoo account, because hotmail accounts are notorious for this type of thing, and have a terrible reputation when it comes to hacking. Don't ask me why.

I don't know whether this advice is helpful, but it's certainly much cheaper than buying a brand new Mac!

Take care mate,

Cedars

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

@ Cedars

Can Malwarebytes Anti-malware be run with programs such as Avast or AVG in your computer, or would these have to be removed?

I know nothing about these things.

• cedars
    cedars

ScenicViewer, whenever I have tried using it, I simply used it on top of whatever virus program I was already using. It always worked fine.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit