How BITE applies to non-Witness groups

by Londo111 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

I am trying to compile information of how the BITE system applies to groups other than the Witnesses. This will help Witnesses consider the BITE model in a non-threatening manner, because it applies to the 'other guy' and along the way they will see, hopefully, how it applies to their group.

For starters today, I found this link interesting. It details how the LDS Church applies BITE. This is the sort of outline that is most beneficial.

http://www.rationalrevelation.com/library/bite.html

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"When our own thoughts are forbidden, when our questions are not allowed and our doubts are punished, when contacts and friendships outside of the organisation are censored, we are being abused for an end that never justifies its means.

When our heart aches knowing we have made friendships and secret attachments that will be forever forbidden if we leave, we are in danger. When we consider staying in a group because we cannot bear the loss, disappointment and sorrow our leaving will cause for ourselves and those we have come to love, we are in a cult"

Deborah Layton, Jonestown survivor.

Any use Londo ? I know a JW who read the above quote, and the attribution to Deborah Layton was right at the bottom of the page, the JW said :

"I thought that was written about Jehovah's Witnesses till I read the bit at the bottom !" There was no need to comment further, point made.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Phizzy,

Sure. That does ring true! :)

I do think we need to compile as much compartive cult information as possible. As Steve Hassan said, 'This is the Achilles' Heel of all these groups.'.

Through doctrines might be radically different, the same patterns emerge.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think you make a good point Londo, if groups have to stoop to such underhanded methods, there is something radically wrong, and undoubtedly sinister about them.

Grouping them all together forces the members to examine their own particular affiliation, if it fits then they have a problem.

I do not know of one 100% genuine, honest, upfront organisation that uses the B.I.T.E method.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Interesting thread. I really appreciate the quote from Deborah Layton, Jonestown survivor. Thanks for sharing Phizzy and thanks Londo for starting this thread!

00DAD

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

I ditto what 00DAD said. That quote should do wonders....

• Londo111
    Londo111

I really like how Luna Flesher did the outline on her former religion. It is probably as beneficial to Witnesses as to the LDS. I was hoping to find other sites using the same BITE outline, in regard the Worldwide Church of God, the Unification Church, Scientology, ect… However, I haven't found anything so well done as what Luna Flesher did.

I was listening to Cult Free Radio a few weeks ago, that had the interview with Steven Hassan, and they mentioned how Scientology goes so far as to install web blockers on their member's computers, so that nothing critical of Scientology is read. I think this is the perfect thing to say to a Witness, followed by the question, "Why do you think they do that?" And allow the Witness to come to the conclusion on their own.

• Londo111
  • Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Wow! Slightly fuller quote from Deborah Layton part quoted by Phizzy above (thankyou)

"When your own thoughts are forbidden, when your questions are not allowed and our doubts are punished, when contacts with friendships outside of the organization are censored, we are being abused for the ends never justify the means. When our heart aches knowing we have made friendships and secret attachments that will be forever forbidden if we leave, we are in danger. When we consider staying in a group because we cannot bear the loss, disappointment and sorrow our leaving will cause for ourselves and those we have come to love, we are in a cult... If there is any lesson to be learned it is that an ideal can never be brought about by fear, abuse, and the threat of retribution. When family and friends are used as a weapon in order to force us to stay in an organization, something has gone terribly wrong." - Deborah Layton

Found here: http://religiouscultsinfo.com/2010/07/%E2%80%9Cseductive-poison%E2%80%9D-by-deborah-layton-voice-of-a-survivor/

• Londo111

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit