University after leaving the Watchtower?

by SweetBabyCheezits 36 Replies latest jw friends

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hello, you sexy sassy posters of JWN. I'm starting this thread in the hopes of finding... uh, hope.... and sharing it with others who are in a similar boat. I'm looking for input from anyone who meets the following criteria:

• raised by devout JWs
    • skipped university after high school due to WT propaganda
    • got married and had one or more kids
    • woke up later and left the WT
    • decided to invest in a real university education
    • not made of time or money

If you're out there, I'd love to hear your story on this thread, and especially the answers to these questions:

1. What was your overall goal? (Education for the intrinsic value of knowledge alone, career opportunities, satisfaction of obtaining a degree, etc...)
    2. What major and level of degree were/are you seeking?
    3. Did you get the degree you wanted? Or are you still working on it?
    4. Were you able to balance time with family, work, and school without going crazy?
    5. What sacrifices did you have to make, if any? Was it worth it?

How about it? I'll give +50 JWN cred for each reply that meets criteria. I'm not even gonna tell you the street value of that is in today's market.

Thanks in advance!

SBC

• designs
    designs

SBC- Went to UCR for a degree in Counseling, evening classes were the ticket. Definitely worth it.

• St George of England
    St George of England

• raised by devout JWs

My goal was to get a better paying job so my pioneer wife did not have to continue working and we did not have to continue struggling to make ends meet. Yes I got the degree I was after (if you want details I will PM you but it would probably ID me if made public).

Now I am retired I wake up each day and think what a great move that was. Still not ultra wealthy but comfortablly off. The best thing we ever did. My uber-JW wife at least agrees on that.

George

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Brought up in JWs, pio and special pio, Min School Servant. Read too much left and dis fellowshipped inmy early 20s

A few years after wards went to Lancaster Uni for a degree in Philosophy, then Cambridge for another in Biblical Studies

and the post graduate research (origins of WT teaching on 2nd presence) Loved every minute of my studies.

Writer, novelist, now retired.

Rob Crompton

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Wow, that's an inspirational story Rob. Thanks for sharing and welcome to JWN.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Cambridge - very impressive! I don't fit the criteria. Education is so impt to me. One of the very nice things is to read of how so many after many years in JWs, left, and went to college as older adults. It does not seem to be isolated cases. The numbers are significant. It gives me great encouragement as I tackle some problem later in life.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I do not meet the first point of your criteria. I was not raised by devout witness parents. But I did become a devout witness parent with two kids still imprisoned in the fairy castle. But, I would like to share.

I was an idealistic kid, when at 16 or 17, I thought God led me to Jehovah's Witnesses as the answer to my quest for a better world. I did not need to choose between the truth/meetings/witnessing and higher education. Attending University, was in those days out of the question for most kids from a working class background. And, because of whatever defects in my intellect, I thought I had found the truth, and I studied this 'truth' fervently.

Curiously, while an elder, I did a number of short courses at higher educational institutions without any comment. Perhaps that is just the way the more tolerant Australian psyche worked out. If I recall correctly, at least one witness in good standing attended the University at Armidale NSW., and was appointed to positions in the local congregation. If my recall was correct, his name was Andrew Yeomans. Have never heard of him for years, so maybe he passed out years ago. (little joke). But then I've been passed out for years too.

At retirement, faced with a life of watching repeats of brain-dead American sit-coms all day, and having an interest in the transition the world is currently undergoing (from western dominance to Asian dominance), I decided to spend the remaining years of my life trying to find out what makes Asian cultures so enduring. I see both Judaism and Christianity as 'Asian cultures,' so I include them in my Asian Studies program. Truthfully, early Christianity was dominated by the Eastern and Egyptian churches. Judeao-Christianity is not the only long-life thought system. Both Buddhism and Zoroastrianism are also ancient, the latter still living in Judaism, Christianity and Hinduism. So I have an eclectic brew in my head at the moment. And beyond them are the intellectual/spiritual thought systems of Confucianism and Daoism.

I shall continue to study so long as the government supports my studies (hopefully that will include an MA by research) and beyond that, if mind and life permit, a Ph.d, likely within the area of East Asian thought (philosophy). Perhaps I may even be cremated with my own book in my hand.

Yeah, I agree - a waste of a good book, but please permit me a final vanity.

So, if in some way your attraction to the JW version of Christianity (which has also has ancient roots), was more intellectual than instinctive (i.e. I believe) then may I recommend higher education. You'll probably love it.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

• raised by devout JWs

Yes to all the above.

1. What was your overall goal? (Education for the intrinsic value of knowledge alone, career opportunities, satisfaction of obtaining a degree, etc...)

Money. I'm female, so we generally need more education than our male counterparts to make anything approaching a livable wage.

1. What major and level of degree were/are you seeking?

I started with a two-year associate degree (paralegal).

1. Did you get the degree you wanted? Or are you still working on it?

Yes. Then I decided I wanted to be a lawyer, and I am now in my second year of law school.

1. Were you able to balance time with family, work, and school without going crazy?

No. I live/lived a very unbalanced life, but that is/was my choice. Professionals rarely live "balanced" lives.

1. What sacrifices did you have to make, if any? Was it worth it?

I didn't have time. I studied on weekends and either worked or was in school the rest of the time. I missed special occasions. A few months ago, my youngest daughter was sworn in as a prosecutor. The city through a huge party for the new prosecutors and their families. I was the only mother who wasn't there (my law professors would not grant me leave), and my daughter was very angry with me. Yes, it is/was worth it, and the only thing I would change is that I would leave JWs earlier and go to law school earlier.

• steve2
    steve2

Click on my avatar - I give an outline of my life since leaving the organization, including completing my PhD and I have now been practising as a registered clinical psychologist for close to 15 years. I currently am practising in an adult community mental health service. After initially beleiving what the local witnesses predicted about me (i.e., that my life would be a disaster after leaving the organization), I have gone from strength to strength - call it human resilience.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Many thanks, Designs, St. George, and Sir Rob for your valuable input! Bro-hugs and reps all around.

Designs, did you maintain a F/T job while you were in school? Any kids?

And welcome, Rob! Is this your work ? I'm just going to assume it is. Outstanding, young squire!

I'm just trying to figure out how I'll budget my time if I go after a degree while my kids are still young. I can make personal sacrifices for this but I don't want to miss out on their changing lives. But I'd also hate to put it off until I'm 55, assuming I even live that long. Really, it's not so much a question of should I go back but when should I go back?

A little history: In 1997, with the blessing of my JW parents I attended a local community college and took a year's worth of classes to get a job in the [exciting!] field of drafting. It wasn't my first choice but I had few options and no clue what I wanted to do to support a family back then. As it turns out, I landed a CAD job in our smallish town before finishing my second semester of college. Of course, the JW view then was to "get only enough schooling for a job that will allow you to stroke Jehovah's [ego] more often." So once I secured a job, I finished up the semester and never went back.

Now that we're no longer mind-cuffed (my wife and I were DF'd in fall of 2010 for apostasy), I want knowledge for the intrinsic value, a formal education for the experience, and the freedom and opportunities that are (more readily) enjoyed by degreed professionals. As far as my career goes, I've been with the same company for 14 years and, after several position changes, I now have a salary that some BA/BS-degreed professionals earn, excellent benefits, a [slow-growing] 401k, etc. Why walk away from that? Well, while it's a great company to work for, I take no pleasure in my current job and we can't stand the area where we live (hot/humid summers, Southern Baptist-dominated town with very few free thinkers, no university, few purely secular options for kids' activities....). Unfortunately, since I have no degree, I wouldn't make half my current salary if I start over somewhere else doing the same thing. So now we're making some major decisions and trying to determine whether or not a degree should be a goal for the immediate future or 20+ years from now.

For the time being, I'm trying to take advantage of free educational tools like khanacademy.org and all the free iTunes university lectures and courses I can get. I'd like to build up my knowledge base prior to starting so that I can drop into some advanced programs if at all possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit