How many trees does it take to print WTB&TS mags each month?

by wannabefree 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

if my math is correct ...

Public Watchtower printed each issue: 42,182,000
    Awake printed each issue: 41,042,000

7.24" x 9.47" x 16 pages two sides

16 x 9.47" x 42,182,000
    16 x 9.47" x 41,042,000

one magazine end to end - 151.52"
    one month Watchtower - 6,391,416,640"
    one month Awake! - 6,218,683,840"
    total: 12,610,100,480"
    total in feet: 1,050,841,706.7
    total in meters: 320,296,552
    total in miles: 199,023
    total in kilometers: 320,296.6

distance around the earth

24,901.55 miles
    40,075.16 kilometers

Take the pages of the public editions of the Watchtower and the Awake! magazines, line them up end to end, and they will circle the globe 8 times every month, 96 times a year! (A stack six magazines high around the globe every year!) How many trees does that take away from the earth? What about the chemicals to bleach the paper? The ink?

• designs
    designs

My estimates are old, back when they were about 15,000,000 per issue but comparing it to the LA Times newspaper it came out to 7500 trees.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Although one could argue that the watchtower and awake are certainly bad for the enviroment, we have more than enough trees in the United States. In a recent "WOOD" magazine I read, tree production/conservation is more than sufficient for our needs here. If i remember correctly there are more acres of forests now than 80 years ago.

I suppose we all wish the chemicals were the worst thing that came out of the printing presses in Brooklyn!!

pbrow

• fadinfast
    fadinfast

Interesting figures, working on Designs figures:

15,000,000 +7500= 2000 per million [+ =divide]

A NZ forestry paper says you can grow 313 trees per acre for pulp

42,182,000 +2000 = 21091 +313 = 67.31 acres per issue

41,042,000 +2000 = 20521 +313 = 65.5 acres per issue

132.1 acres per 2 issues FF

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Regardless of whether it's trees per acre or trees per hectare, it is still a lot of trees. Imagine how many houses one could build with the trees that are wasted on this rubbish. Using the material at average efficiency in building houses, I would be willing to bet that several nice houses could be built per issue of each rag. I assume at least one house per 6 trees--you would be looking at at least 3,000 nice houses per issue of wasted resources. Not to mention the amount of heat you could get out of the lumber.

But that is only half the story. The other half is the energy wasted processing the wood into paper, distributing it to the printing factory at Beth Hell, and then getting them distributed to the congregations and then into the territory. You take out a carbon sink (the tree) and put carbon dioxide into the air (along with a good number of other, more serious pollutants) when you distribute that littera-trash. And the chemicals they use to process and print the littera-trash are as bad. I bet the ink they use is not the "ecologically friendly" ink you so often see advertised, but environmentally toxic inks.

• alanv
    alanv

And in the end most of it is treated as junk mail. It is obvious, actually very few people are influenced by it by the very low increases the society have every year.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Probably still does not come even close to all the junk mail printed every day...

Oz

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Thats much!

Also, the paper is not FSC certified! That's a worldwide responseble management organisation of forrests wood & paper.

They use BAD paper.

• designs
    designs

It would be interesting to find out who they buy their paper from. There was a rumor years ago that the Society had a business relationship with a Scandinavian company, Finland?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

One too many

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit