Can you be in Love with two persons? My Dilemma...

by Intel 79 Replies latest jw experiences

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I think I heard this in a movie but it resonated with me and I've held onto this thought for years, no matter how difficult things have been:

There are no hard decisions in life. Every day we make hundreds of decisions, these become thousands per week and millions per year. We already know what decision we are going to make - it is facing up to and admitting that decision to ourselves that we have to do.

Good luck and I wish you happiness. Be true to yourself, be honest with yourself and things will become clear.

• flipper
    flipper

INTEL- Well, having been married 2 times before and am finally finding real happiness now for almost 6 years in my 3rd marriage it certainly does not make me an expert , but I've been around the block a few times. I dated a variety of women in my 7 years as a single guy between marriages so I may have some insight that may assist you , who knows ?

I'll take it from the start. First of all the elder who told you , " that as long as it is " in the lord " ( marriage ) it doesn't matter if you are in love or not. " This guy was full of hot air. I highly disagree with this elder. You don't HAVE to suffer along with an incompatible marriage mate for convenience, guilt, children, hangnails, snoring at night, and most importantly you don't need to be with someone who you don't love or she doesn't love you ! If you really love the person- then you can put up with the hangnails and snoring at night and you give your children a good example as a married couple who love each other and provides a loving home for the children. It's not doing children ANY favor at all in staying together and fighting like hell , or having a chronic bad situation in the homelife because then - your child will learn that it's O.K. to accept a negative, abusive relationship whether the negativity comes in a physical, emotional, or mental way. My first wife and I split up after 19 years due to these stressful , negative environments which were not good for my teenage children. And my children thanked me years later for me and their mom NOT staying together.

In my opinion , ( and remember, it's just that ) you did yourself a disservice by getting seriously involved with this girlfriend you love too fast and too soon after breaking up with your ex-wife. If you had allowed yourself a time period to get to know yourself first before hopping into the dating world again - you may have avoided having to experience the conflicting, confusing emotions that come from just freshly having gotten out of a long term marriage. I feel THAT is one reason you are feeling confused . You haven't spent enough alone time with yourself to REALLY get to know yourself first so that when a possible relationship reveals itself to you - you would be more in tune with yourself emotionally and will be able to give the best of yourself to a prospective girlfriend or marriage mate. And after having spent 6 months alone or a year to heal from your marriage breakup then you might spend a year or two to just date women casually , getting to know a variety of them so you have a barometer to see and understand what kind of personality or possible female partner you would jive with or match up well with. In essence you educate yourself with a variety of experiences and the answer in time becomes clear what type of woman you are compatible with.

Of course, what I'm saying may appear to be water that's flown already under the bridge - but perhaps not. You need to also really accurately assess if your ex-wife is TRULY wanting to exit the Witnesses - or is this just a ploy on her part to get you back so she and her child will be cared for ? Or does she REALLY love you - or are you a convenience for HER so she doesn't have to raise your child alone ? If she authentically loves you and you love her - and she is being honest in not getting back into the JW cult - then yes, it may work out best for your child and you and your wife to reconnect and get back together. But honesty HAS to prevail in discussions and your conversations. Remember- That elder long ago told you love isn't important- you need to make sure that being in love is just as important to you as it is with your wife or whomever you are with. It's a hell of a letdown to find out you are in love with someone- yet they don't love you. Takes awhile to heal from that one. I know. Been there , experienced that with a girlfriend when I was single.

I wish you the best. You will have to make a decision in time. Your child deserves happiness, but she also deserves a mom and dad who truly love each other and aren't faking it. Also, most women I've known in my life didn't want to share their man with another woman. It's not fair to both parties involved ( unless all parties are into threesomes from the getgo or something ) . It's not fair to the woman because she deserves a man who will fully be there for her emotionally, physically, and mentally. And it's same for the guy. You deserve to have a woman fully committed to you in all ways. So- it's your decision, I'm not going to say what you should decide or not. I have just shown you different scenarios to think about that you may not have considered in the process of making your decision based on what I've noticed through the years. So good luck to you. Be smart, think it out, and get to know yourself so you can be there and give your best to a nice lady. And after all of this - you may find out that you want neither relationship at this time with either woman. Also- there is the suggestion to get professional counseling as well if you need help in figuring things out. It is an option to keep open. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• St George of England
    St George of England

Tell your wife to call back in a year's time if she still feels the same way.

You will consider it then

George

P.S. Happily married for well over 40 years.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

This decision must not be taken lightly, Intel. You need to find a quiet place to think and then ask yourself a very important question: Which one has better boobs?

Jokes, of course. (kinda) Seriously, though, if neither of these two women are the "sharing" type - which is completely understandable - you're the only person who can decide which one to let go. I think it will take a lot of empathy to make the decision that's best for everyone involved but someone is going to end up hurt. You might be able to mitigate some of the pain for some involved but it doesn't look like you can have your cake and eat it, too, in this case, polygamy. Life is unfair.... as Randy Pausch said, 'We cannot change the cards we are dealt, only how we play our hand.'

Put yourself in their shoes and play out the different scenarios. And not that you should ignore your own needs completely but you have a little one to think about now. You made a decision (along with your ex) to bring a child into the world and now the mature thing to do would be to assume your part of the responsibility in making sure that kid has the best life possible. If there is ANYTHING you can do for the sake of the child, I personally think that should carry a lot of weight in the decision.

Of course, this situation sounds incredibly complex and my opinion shouldn't be valued anymore than the next stranger on the Internets. Ultimately, you may just have to settle this using the aforementioned boob criteria.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Thinking of the long-term is what usually helps me in these situations. Your suffering and pain is very real now, but what about your kid? How will he grow up? Also, having a young girlfriend is nice, but as the years pass, how will the relationship hold up? Everything is fine and dandy now.

Even if you were never to find the happiness you once had with your former wife, the fact she is making strides to get out of the religion and make contact with you again is big. If you told your wife you want to get back with her, would you tell her about your girlfriend? How would she react?

Your in a tough situation and I hope you can sit still and think realistically for a bit. Clear your mind and look for the best solution. Don't wait too long either, hesitance could hold you back on making the decision you need to make.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i would introduce your two ladies. let them fight it out.

• elderelite
    elderelite

It has been brought to my attention that i missed something in orginal post... That your wife was talkin about leaving the organization. I am really really sorry and missed that.... Sort of changes things.

Reality is, you have entertained these advances from your wife... Maybe there is still something there for you to explore. My orginal point stands... Make sure you ask the right questions....

• yknot
    yknot

Just my thoughts...

I am not the same gal I was before 'waking up'

I allowed fear to rule me as a wife and mother.

Now as for you....

Oh Brother!!!

(said with a loving, sisterly voice)..... "You want permission for what you have already done"

You have already betrayed your GF emotionally, she knows this and it hurts, you cant unring that bell. Your committment to her isn't /wasn't really true.

GF is a smart gal, take her up on the exit and quit holding on to someone you already let go of.....(nobody likes being used as a security blanket)

Beyond that you gotta "own" your choices.

You want to go with the ex, even if it is just to see if you are doing it for your baby not be in a 'fatherless' situation.

Maybe you and the ex will work it out, maybe not .........worse comes to worse you and ex will be more united in raising your baby together while apart.

It sucks to break another's heart when they were good to you (its called a 'rebound' usually).

Huggles

• Think About It
    Think About It

Ynot......how did I miss your return? Nice to see you again.

Think About It

• Intel
    Intel

Just to chime in, that I am reading your comments and deeply thinking about the different angles and thoughts. It does help more than I ever thought. Wow! What a good community this is!

I will comment on different parts of your comments, but wanted to let you know that this turned to be more helpful than I thought. I guess more heads, seeing things differently, with different stages of Life experience does help - sometimes it is like having the next best thing to a "crystal ball" (aka some of you are where I could possibly land or lived experiences that I could possibly live as well). I know that every human is different, but there is also some kind of "collective" behaviour/thinking that helps. My mother (unfortunately a hard core Dub that shuns me) used to say: "There is nothing that you will ever feel or experience that has not been lived before by billions of other humans - you will always share feelings or events with millions that experienced that before you."

Some of the comments are humorous (NomadSoul, SweetBabyCheezits, transhuman68 & bigmac I am looking at you ) some are profound, insightful (thank you thank you thank you Qcmbr, zzaphod, Mr. Flipper and elderelite!!! Your time is precious and you taking the time to read, reflect and write up such lenghty comments is invaluable to me - very kind of you) and others are short, to the point and practical (Found Sheep , yknot > you are right..., THE GLADIATOR, aquagirl, Knowsnothing, St George of England > how true!, poopsiecakes , breakfast of champions)

I appreciate that you have tried to "get in my shoes" and are thinking longterm and about my precious little girl! I am very grateful for good friends like you and you are the living example that ex-JWs are not evil bastards, but rationale, loving, kind and friendly humans.

There are a few comments here that made me think (with the clouded mind & highly emotionally charged mind it is almost impossible to see things from different perspectives) and I would like to come back and ask you a few questions. Crowd wisdom at its Best. Thanks to all of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit