Kingdom melodies / B4 Copyright/JW`s stealing melodies/anyone remember this ?

by smiddy 40 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would think that the Kingdumb maladies are of such rubbish quality that it makes no sense to steal it. It would be like hacking into a bank account to steal 100 toilet papers when a sheet of regular toilet paper costs a sesagillion money-toilet papers. What they really mean is that the witlesses are not to take a Kingdumb malady and remake it so it is actually enjoyable, perhaps adding a rock or rap beat.

Now, that doesn't work in reverse. I remember the [old] Kingdumb Malady 42 (the old version, from Sing Praises to Jehovah) was a blatant ripoff of the Vangelis song Chariots of Fire. The song was recorded in 1981 and came out in the early spring of 1982. The Kingdumb malady was recorded sometime in the realm of later 1982, 1983, or early 1984 and released at the Grand Boasting Session of 1984. Nice try, Washtowel--you ruined a fine song.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Song 92 in the latest song book, "Preach the Word", is over-the-top derivative of John William's "Jurassic Park Theme".

FWIW, I think the Watchtower's explanation sounds pretty plausible. The alternative explanation that the JW songwriter, composing something to be used in "True Worship", deliberately plagiarized a tune from a known source doesn't make much sense IMO.

om

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a slightly different memory. The green book from the 1950s wasn't good but it was not appalling. One night my family goes to KH. There is an announcement that we can no longer use the book. Research found that the music was from Bach and Handel, a couple of pagans. I believe only a few songs were affected. No one in my KH played an instrument. Also, no one could sight read. They gave us these magenta books instead.

When the KH brother announced, he sneered "Baaaschh, Beet (as in the vegetable)hoven and Hand- el. I sunk in my seat, determined to escape. I believe I was fourteen and the only one present who knew Bach, Beethoven, or Handel. I wanted to learn their music so much but I had no exposure.

All I can recall now is "We are Jehovah's Witnesses."

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I have a similar recollection as Band on the Run. The reason given for updating the song book (don't recall when, but in the 80s?) was that many of the songs were from "worldly" composers. I do recall at least one was a christmas song that was re-worked. I was the KH pianist back then, so I knew all of them quite well and I remember being surprised to discover this.

I recall some sort of issue with that song that was written in Hawaiian style...can't remember the name. But they removed it from the next version of the songbook and I rememeber someone saying it was a copyright issue or maybe the composer was DFd.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Bach was only the greatest composer of all time. He said the purpose of music was to glorify God. Does that sound like a pagan?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I recall some sort of issue with that song that was written in Hawaiian style...can't remember the name

'Our Paradise: Present and Future'? - No. 19 in the pink/purple songbook from 1966; No. 220 in the brown 1984 one with the lyrics slightly modified. It's been dropped from this new one. I don't remember any issues with it, though.

• Terry
    Terry

The oldest song book had several melodies based on classical works. Nothing at all evil about that. Except--one of the reasons given for the 1966 changeover to a new songbook was the Society's reasoning that those Classical composers were steeped in false religious influences! Wow, that was really reaching to accuse Beethoven of composing DUE TO and INFLUENCE BY false religion!

I always thought I detected in song 119 a pattern based on the Walt Disney tune Someday My Prince Will Come. The background chord changes and harmonic premises switched my brain from EYES on the PRIZE to a cartoon character singing. But, that's just me.

What seemed particularly strange at the time was when piano playing in the hall stopped and those phonograph records were substituted, instead.

I guess the WS wanted control over everything.

Remember the old song Firm and Determined in this time of the end...prepared are God's servants the Good News to Defend....

That strongly reminded me of the theme to a Gregory Peck western titled THE BRAVADOS.

I know my brain is wired differently, however....:)

• Anator
    Anator

No Terry, not just you but I also detected the pattern based on the Walt Disney tune Someday My Prince Will Come to that song

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Someday my prints will come ? I thought that was the Kodak song.

I was given a tape in the 70's where an American bro had reworked the Kindom songs, don't know if he sold it commercially though.

• TD
    TD

When did they not have their own songbook?? I've got JW songbooks going clear back to the Bible Students

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit