How can one get JW friends or family to read Ray Franz' books?

by Fernando 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fernando
    Fernando

One idea: ask them to explain "legalism" and its opposite to you. Keep asking questions to draw them out, get them to clarify and speak from the heart.

There is only one article in the entire wt library CD referring to "legalism" and it reads like a summary of his book ISOCF.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

swap covers with a jw book & hope for the best

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Try and get them a copy of the Book of James that was printed in the early 70's. Of course the Society has dropped it's circulation.

• moshe
    moshe

There is no sure formula able to trick people into reading anything. My dog somehow knows when I am getting ready to give him a bath- before I even open the faucet and JWs know when somebody is trying to hose them with apostate literature.

Trust me- it's for you own good- read this book.

• steve2
    steve2

Where you been Fernando man? Haven't you heard, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink or a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest or don't toss pearls before the swine??? Back right off. Go gentle. Do something to the witnesses that they probably never did to you: Show them respect for their right to decide for themselves.

People have got to care enough about the accuracy of what they believe and be disturbed enough by it to even begin to think about assessinhg it further. If people are satisfied - or smug - with their beliefs, if they have vested interest in being correct and if they have already invested a lot of time, money, effort and pride in a belief system, chances are they won't read anything against that belief system - even if they could do so secretly.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Steve! Had to learn this the hard way... Just prior to my exit I stubbornly forced a few "star chamber" horses to drink... They simply vomited...

• pbrow
    pbrow

That is tough bro, through many conversations with my relative, she shares many of my concerns about the org. She is beholden to the group though because "they do so much good" The bigger draw though is her ENTIRE social structure is in the org. So even though she has many concerns and realizes that the gb is about as inspired as the pope she will not read any of Franz books. She says she wants to be able to be truthful when/if the conversation ever comes up with the elders. (ref not reading aspostate literature)

I suppose one day she may feel comfortable reading one of the books. I started with her by just getting copies of old literature. She would then verify the info at a friends house who has an entire library of old russel era books. She couldnt beleive all the bat shit crazy things in them. I suppose it helps though that she had already started to question the mediator only for the 144000.

Good luck, plant as may seeds as you can

pbrow

• steve2
    steve2
    Just prior to my exit I stubbornly forced a few "star chamber" horses to drink... They simply vomited...

Reading this, I love the picture that comes into my head! There can be a warm fuzzy feeling of satisfaction of administering torture to deserving subjects...not that I'd know from direct experience...

• LoJack
    LoJack

MOSHE: Thats funny. With a smile like the enysyte man. What jdub could refuse to read Ray's books. LOL!!!!!!!!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I got one to read it just by giving it to him.... And explained that it is not mean, hatefull just gives facts.... but he was ready and the entire family was out within a few months

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit