The Truman Show revisited

by slimboyfat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

I just saw the truman show for the first time. It kind of made me angry, how they made a fake life for the guy. The other thing is, having lived in three major cities in the last 30 yrs, i notice the different characteristics of the people, ie, each city has its own character. Generally, people take on certain characteristics to match the staus quo, so they will be accepted, get jobs, have friends, get along... Women seem to be more into it, than men, ie. more status conscious. Bottom line, a lot of things people do and say is actually acting, like in the movie. I am actually fairly good at playing my parts, too. *Sigh*

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

SBF

I suspect that truman kept looking for the puppet strings and second guessed what people were saying, looking for authenticity. He likely felt as a man cast adrift. Did you ever hear of the book 'sirens of titan'? Its an sf story about a guy who was able to time travel back and forth within a specific few yrs. He used that time to manufacture a new religion of guilt for earth. One of the surivors of it all was a guy called unk. Once unk was free again, he was a shell of a man, sitting on a park bench in the winter, shortly to freeze to death. He froze a free man.

S

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That is one if my favorite movies, I did feel it mirrored the JW experience. My take on it is that Truman knew on some level that something was not right in his world (just as we dubbies knew there was something off about the WTBTS. ) He finally learned to trust his own feelings and leave. When he reached the end of the water and got out of the boat, he acknowledged that the show was over, by saying "good afterafternoon, good evening and good night.", which I think means he knew he was going out in the real world. I think he would be cautious, knowing he was deceived before, but I don't think he would mistrust everyone, because he had that one real relationship (his girlfriend they got rid of), to know there are some good people in the world.

Although I was burned by the WTBTS, it did not make me mistrust all people, all people are not Jehovah's Witnesses. It did make me stronger and tougher, it did make me cautious, but I refused to let that bad experience ruin the rest of my life, they got their thirty years, they were not going to get one more hour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit