New Watchtower CD?

by Xander 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ianao
    ianao

Looks like HenryP snaked his way out of that one.

• TR
    TR

I've got a '99 version.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

I have a '99 Watchtower CD. Because I'm unlikely to get a replacement in the near future, I want to protect this valuable resource. To this this it is lawful for me to make backups, and to be safe I need to store them off-site. Xander, might you be willing to store a copy off-site for me?

Bodhisattva

• mindfield
    mindfield

Ah, jeez. Email me, we`ll give each other our ICQ numbers, and I`ll upload the english 2001 or so ISO of the WT cd-rom. Ok?

• HenryP
    HenryP

TR, Bodhisattva, mindfield:

Cool, where do I acces a copy of Crisis of Conscience online? Can you scan and put online so that it is available for those looking for the truth?

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Henry -

Providing the entirety of CofC to you personally while it is copyrighted would be no problem provided Amazon.com et al refused to sell you a copy on the grounds that you are attending meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses and you are in good standing. I think that it would thus pass the test for Fair Use that requires copying not to obstruct the copyright holder from distributing more of the product.

As the Watchtower restricts to whom they will 'sell' the CD, someone providing a copy to a bloodthirsty apostate doesn't cut into their sales. Besides, I'm talking about mailing something from one person to another, not making it available to an unlimited number of people on the Net.

Of course a sample chapter of CofC might have the effect of whetting appetities and result in sales for the author, much like cheese on toothpicks or automobile test drives. Thus the author has given permission for Chapter 1 to be online at http://www.commentarypress.com/eng-crisis-ch1.html.

Bodhisattva
    The god of the dolphins has flippers.

Edited becaue I made a good point in paragraph 2 about limited vs. unlimited distribution availability and decided it was better to say "to you personally" rather than "online."

• Moxy
    Moxy

bodhi - your understanding of 'fair use' is pathetic. i'm the last person to agree with the arguments of the copyright lawmakers, but if you want to fight them, you should at least be able to discuss them intelligently.

start here: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/

mox

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Moxy -

I was considering, to quote Dr. Rice, ''the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.'' What I mean is that if someone is by definition not a part of the market for a work, there is no effect on the market for or value of the work if they are supplied a copy. Making photocopies of a current edition of my school's magazine for distribution would potentially cut into their distribution of the original work, which is objectionable even though it is free. But if they refused to send out copies to people in Kansas, but I had a friend in Kansas to whom I wanted to show the layout of the sports schedules, I would think it is fair use to send him a photocopy of the page.

While this is a murky area and few fair use advisories will ever suggest that copying an entire work is appropriate, I was chiefly pointing out the contrast between Ray's books, which are made available at a market price to anyone who wishes to buy them, as opposed to the Watchtower CD, which is not available to Xander at any price.

Bodhisattva

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

HenryP, imagine us breaking copyright law and copying the CD-ROM. I think law requires compensation (at least in Germany) - that is paying the money the publisher would have gained if we had received a legal copy.

So how much is the amount?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Henry P..if you want a copy of C of C, or ISOCF, I will personally amil you one of each, just give me a mailing address.

Now, will you go to the Kingdom Hall, pick up a REAL cd-rom, and mail it to them? I will even pay the 50.00 or 100.00 that the Society suggests for it.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit