I cooked rice today!!!

by Elsewhere 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I did it!!! I really did it!!! After FIVE years of failed attempts, I finally cooked rice today!! It isn't soggy, it isn't crunchy, it's JUST RIGHT! Light and fluffy!

The rump roast isn't perfect (a bit dry), but it is good... Next time I will not use a tray with a run-off, instead I will let it cook in its juices in a pan, that should keep it juicy.

(Doing the Ren and Stimpy "Happy Dance")
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Celia
    Celia

Congratulations !
    We'll have rice tonight for dinner too, with chicken.
    Yes cooking a roast on slow heat on the stove (add some water and white wine after it has browned on all sides) makes it nice and tender and juicy...

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Dave,

As a fellow gourmet, let me join you in wishing you a hardy congratulations. LOL!!!! Stick with Uncle Ben's. It's the best for single dudes on the go. If you have time and want the best tasting, use basmatti rice.

• LDH
    LDH

Very good!

About a year ago I bought a rice steamer for $20 at Kmart. It was WELL worth the investment, because I steam veggies in it too. Never burns.

I'd definitely recommend one.

I do love Basmati too. But I like Jasmine better.

Lisa

• seedy3
    seedy3

Hey Elsewhere,
    A couple of tricks to making a moist and juicy roast, everytime is
    1: in a pan on the top of the stove brown the roast on all sides prior to putting it in for its final cooking stage.

2: Buy a meat thermometer and cook the roast no more then medium on the meat themometer. Take it off or out fo the heat and let it rest for about 10 minites, before cutting it.

When you take it out at medium on the scale it will continue to cook for the 10 minites that it rests. If you want medium rare take it out when it hits the rare temp level.

No on rice, I use only long grain or jasmine rice. The locals here in Guam use short grain rice (Calrose) they are cooked very differently. The long grain is usually very fluffy when you use this method (short grain rice is always sticky it has a lot of starch),

measure your, long grain or jasmine, rice out with a measuring cup The package says use a 1C of rice to 2C of water, that is not a good way to do it. cut your water down to 1C rice to 1 3/4C of water.

Put all in a sauce pan cold add a pinch of salt if you like. Without a lid bring to a boil on a medium high-high heat (keep an eye on at this stage as it can burn and boil over. As soon as it staarts to boil turn the heat down to low (no more then 2 each stove is different) cover the pan and wait for about 10-15 miniites. test the rice for texturs and water content if it is tender take the rice off the heat and let stand with the lid off for about 5 minites. Results Fluffy tender rice everytime. Otherwise buy a rice cooker, LOL, it does it all for you.

Chef Seedy

• JBean
    JBean

Stay away from Uncle Ben's and all "bleached" white rice!!!! Esp. if you have high cholesterol or heart problems... the damn stuff causes fat deposits on your arteries... brown rice is the way to go!

• JBean
    JBean

Sorry if that sounded too bossy, but look at the listings on the side of the box... it's the only rice you'll probably find that has percentages listed in the fat and cholesterol columns... just tryin' to keep y'all healthy! : )

• Prisca
    Prisca

A man who can cook rice???

Elsewhere, will you marry me?

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Beans,

did you notice I said for "dudes on the go"? Not artery-clogged, on their last leg, old dudes like yourself!

(I'm kidding, and pass me a big honking bowl of Uncle Ben's! Yummmmm!!!!)

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

What's grosser than gross? Putting a rump roast on the table and it farts! hahahaha

Sorry I had to do that.

I always cook my roast in the crock pot, comes out juicy every time.

shimmer

A sobering thought: what if, right at this very moment, I am living up to my full potential?------------Jane Wagner

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit