Seeing Both Sides

by Flat_Accent 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

My parents are sat upstairs right now going over a chapter in the Jeremiah book for their family study. While I went up briefly to get something, I overheard my dad relating a personal experience. Something about being on the ministry and getting a 'bad vibe' about a certain house. He decided not to knock on the door. It's likely this had some relation to an experience in the book about a witness who had decided not to preach at one house, and this in effect saved their life from a homicidal maniac or a rapist.

I heard the phrase 'The Angels are guiding us.'

It always amazes me how the witnesses seem to cherrypick experiences; repeating the good incidents, and overlooking the bad ones. It is common to hear of a brother being saved from certain death, or arriving at just the right time to save someone else. Such experiences are a common theme in the magazines and in talks. But how many witnesses do you think have been killed or abused while on the ministry? In turn, how many witnesses have reached a house too late, and that person has already ended their life? How many witnesses have died while praying for food to arrive?

My question is - seeing as the majority of you have been or may still be witnesses - did you ever think about these negative incidents while you were a witness? Did you ever consider why Jehovah is so inconsistent, when he saves one faithful man, but fails to save another? If so, how did you excuse these cases in your own mind?

Thanks,

Andy

• Violia
    Violia

That angel guiding story has been around for over 40 yrs. One time it was 2 pioneer sisters in a Laundromat and a rapist came in and the rapist saw 2 big men standing by the women and ran out of fear . ( the 2 big men being angels as the sisters were alone at night in a Laundromat- dumb thing to do, wow.

Jws urban legands.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I know now that they employ propaganda. Then I did not think it was definitive for drawing any conclusion. The same kinds of spiritual intervention happen to every kind of people. They choose incorrectly to attribute it to favoritism.

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

I'm not sure which particular experience they were talking about in the book. It's only an educated guess. But yes, I've heard similar stories of sisters who have gone out and met murderers at the door, but were not attacked due to the 'big man standing behind her'.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    how did you excuse these cases in your own mind?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

• designs
    designs

The sister who studied with my wife said she Hid in Plane Sight meaning she was in a room and the Police never saw her.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

If I'm not mistaken, these folks were out in field service when this happened. Their vehicle went into a lake.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/accident-80138632.html

Monty Hardy, 56, of Southlake and Hadassah Vance, 35, of Euless, died at Baylor Regional Medical Center in Grapevine on Saturday.

Wendy Akion, 38, of Irving and Sharon Ransom, 56, of Grapevine, died early Sunday morning at the same hospital.

Friends said all four were Jehovah's Witnesses and attended the same church in Grapevine.

Police weren't clear on exactly what led to the tragedy. The car involved was a 2008 Toyota Avalon, among the models recalled last
    month over concerns about gas pedals getting stuck on floor mats and causing sudden acceleration.

"It could be anything from a vehicle malfunction to a driver's error; we don't know," said Southlake police spokesman Officer Roderick Page.

There's other stories just as well. Might want to google the Lillelid murders. If memory serves me correct, they got murked right after the Sunday meeting, but I could be wrong on that one.

When things like that happen, JWs will chalk it up to "time & unforseen occurance" which is the scriptural way to say shit happens. When things go positively for them, it must be Jehovah's spirit, or the angels. Classic cases of talking out of both sides of their mouth, and their behinds.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Mickey nailed it.

Every blessing is from Jehovah. Every trial is from Satan.

If the angels really were "directing the work" then it would be incredibly successful, so much so that there would be no way that anyone could deny that God was behind the work.

And donut shops wouldn't make so much money.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

NRFG - okay, here's how one of our old-time COs would have explained this one away: Those four publishers were involved in a secret sex/satanism ring involving Smurfs, My Little Pony Figurines, and prodigious amounts of grain alcohol.

I shit you not- this was pretty close to what the CO said. Jehovah was cleansing the congregation.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Accidents cleansing the cong?????? OMG One very beloved bro in our hall was driving home from the meeting, (the rest of the fam, all baptized, wife and 3 teen children stayed home). he hit black ice, the car crashed and he died. God preserved the ones who skipped the meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit