What happened to Milton Henschel losing presidency?

by Band on the Run 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My family often spoke well of Milton Henschel. I left when Knorr was still president. Looking at the flimiest of personal infos for GB members, I noticed that Henschel became president and then was demoted and Don Adams became president. It seemed as though these positions were for life. Was this the 1975 debacle? It also indicates that there are powers behind the throne. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate even a brief description. If you read enough WT history, it certainly resembles Catholic history.

• sir82
    sir82

In the year 2000 the GB members all removed themselves from the WTB&TS board of directors.

It wasn't a "demotion" as much as it was an attempt to shield the doctrine-makers from potential legal liability.

By the year 2000, Henschel was pretty well gone mentally due to dementia, IIRC. He died in 2003.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Freddy Franz was president after Knorr died.

• cedars
    cedars

I don't think the Henschel thing was connected with the 1975 debacle. As I recall, Don Adams doesn't appear on the scene until the 80s. However, what went on in the 70s Governing Body shake-up, as documented by Ray Franz in Crisis of Conscience, suggests that the office of "President" lost virtually all of its power once the two-thirds majority voting and Governing Body "committees" came into force. Post-Knorr, a Watchtower president was president in name only.

Cedars

• designs
    designs

I saw Milton Henschel at a San Diego District Convention, probably early 1990s. He actually came out into the Parking Lot afterwards and spoke with people for over an hour, very friendly.

• james_woods
    james_woods

What Cedars said is what I was told by the Dunlaps, who had inside information during the body of elders/1975 times.

It was done because there was an insider fear of Freddy Franz becoming a Knorr-like dictator.

• designs
    designs

Freddy Kim Jong Franz, has a nice scary quality to it, perfect for Halloween.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Freddy Kim Jong Franz, has a nice scary quality to it, perfect for Halloween.

A Freddy mask, with that red plaid shirt and red tie, would make a great Halloween costume - if the JWs celebrated Halloween.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I thought they rotated every year or couple years from within the GB?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I thought they rotated every year or couple years from within the GB?

I don't think the Watchtower presidents ever rotated; they stayed in for life except for Henschel.

In the early '70s, when the modern elder arrangement came into effect, congregation elders would rotate their positions. After a brief few years the rotation system was abandoned. There was never a shred of scriptural support for it anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit