A polite way of saying "quit whining and get back to work!"

by cedars 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

I was interested to read the life story of Leonard Smith in the latest April 15th Watchtower (now available for download at www.jw.org). It's not every day I notice a Brit getting to relate his life story in the literature, so this peaked my curiousity.

I chuckled to myself when I stumbled on the following anecdote on page 21:

dont worry work

Is it just me, or is that not just a thinly-veiled way of saying "Shut up with your moaning, and get back to work!"???

Cedars

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Sounds like the slogan for being a JW!

• man oh man
    man oh man

What ever happened to "Don't Worry Be Happy"?

• cedars
    cedars

If I were Knorr, I certainly wouldn't want to be remembered for saying that to a stressed worker.

It makes me laugh when I picture the scene in my mind. This poor burnt-out wreck pours himself out to Knorr in a bethel corridor. Knorr gruffly responds "Don't worry. Work!" and shuffles off somewhere. Dejected, the guy hangs his head in despair. Some bethellite approaches the brother and whispers in his ear "He meant that in a nice way!" On hearing this explanation, the brother's mood suddenly turns from despair to ecstasy, and he leaps into action!

I find it funny that the words of a former president of the Society are immortalized in this way, even though they weren't particularly kind OR profound.

Cedars

• trueblue
    trueblue

Don't know who this brother Knorr is but he probably on welfare and or lives intirely on donations. Let him work by the job and if he doesnt't get paid until the job is done and done right he doen't get anything and see if he still thinks the same...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father worked in the factory under Knorr when the Bethel family was prob. about 200. My uncle did, too. He was a hard taskmaster. If I were in the bro's shoes, I'd suggest that Knorr do some labor to keep him humble and to better understand the work environment that he administered. The air of superiority comes through. They had the least respect for Rutherford b/c they witnessed the corruption. Knorr was very much disliked. Henschel, Larson and others did not receive such disdain.

My uncle was super meek. It would be hard to find a more deferential Witness who towed the line. Yet he once told Knorr to find another stool pigeon. Stunning words if you knew my uncle. Shocking.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I also noticed the cult of personality asserted by the WT for a brother who is no longer with us. These stories never show presidents or GBs as human. They are always superior, wiser, smarter, witty, loving, etc. It reminds me of Catholic veneration of long dead popes and saints. Soon Knorr will be performing miracles. The sad part is that new Witnessess, with no sense of JW history, willl fall for this portrayl. The problem never could be that Knorr was not running the factory efficiently. No, the underling brother was lazy.

When I was young, I wanted to work at Bethel. I did not relish doing what a woman had to do. It was my dream for years. I attended the Bethel lectures at every convention. My brother had the same goal but he could do more b/c he had an appendage. Now I feel sorry for the workers at Bethel.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Band on the Run, yes it is interesting how such an inconsequential remark is highlighted and dwelled upon simply because the words were uttered by a deceased Governing Body member. If that doesn't smack of veneration of humans, I don't know what does. I find it hard to believe the remark would have received such attention if the words were spoken by a regular bethel overseer, i.e. not one of the Governing Body.

Now I feel sorry for the workers at Bethel.

Yes, I do to. The poor sods are serving a jail sentence, and they don't even know it.

Cedars

• sacolton
    sacolton

Don't Worry.

Look happy.

Work!

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

this article seems like its purpose is to elevate the annointed to a christ like position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit