doomsday clock again

by euripides 6 Replies latest jw friends

• euripides
    euripides

Looks like it just got moved up again. http://news.yahoo.com/doomsday-clock-moves-1-minute-closer-midnight-230621633.html Anyone here remember WT's infamous 'hands on the clock' illustration? I know this has been mentioned here, maybe a year ago, this thread. Wonder if the prophets of doom will use this again to predict 'The End?' What they don't seem to grasp is that it is a clock that does not actually move--in fact it goes backwards sometimes! It is supposed to be about the relative danger of a nuclear incident based on political conditions relative to nuclear capabilities. 1953 was the closest we've moved to 'midnight:'

Really, I think these atomic scientists should find a new symbol of the dangers of nuclear war other than a clock, which is so easily misconstrued--especially by fear-mongerers and the poor people who have to grow up listening to them and their terrifying 'doomsday' rhetoric!

• Think About It
    Think About It

A broken clock is right more times in a day, than the WTS has been in the last 130 years of getting time right.

Think About It

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good point. A clock is completely meaningless. It does not represent the time before a cataclysm, or percent likelihood or anything that I can comprehend in a meaningful way. If it is a 12 hour clock then there are 720 minutes, so do we have a chance of 715/720 that a cataclysm is going to occur? If so, then they have been wrong for the decades that it has been around. These are scientists that are just another lot of doomsday prophets.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nuclear doomsday is another man-made scam. They are using it to threaten nations and peoples into compliance with the real doomsday--rounding up everyone in the world to live in confined human feedlots. At which point, all reproduction will be artificial insemination, and babies will be snatched from their mothers at birth to be trained by people that hate babies. Training will be simply to make them slaves. They get roughly 20 years of this training, with zero fun. After that, they spend roughly the next 30 years doing what they most hate. Once they can no longer do that, or if they refuse, they get slaughtered and that will be their retirement.

Seems funny you never hear of that kind of "doomsday". Yet I think there is a significantly better chance we will be seeing that in the next few years than getting a nuclear doomsday. And, a better chance of the nuclear doomsday than of a God-caused judgment day of the kind that the religions are all yapping about.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I agree that to use a clock ( a measurer of time) to portray an assessment of risk is just silly . . . and an embarrassment for anyone wanting to be taken seriously. From two minutes to midnight in 1953 to 17 minutes to midnight in 1991. Pffft. The thing will never strike midnight . . . presumably the end of the world will intercede moments before LOL.

Local news reports the group has taken into account climate change and nuclear generation risk as at Fukushima . . . so even the risk factors have changed since 1947.

• d
    d

I agree that the us of clock is not literal but they should change their methods. Considering the fact that a lot has changed since 1953 and now climate is the new thing to fear although I am not downplaying the seriousness of it.

• LoJack
    LoJack

Thinkaboutit: Brother, you hit the nail dead on the head LOL!!!

Lojack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit