Do we have to avoid churches to avoid Babylon the Great?

by ShadesofGrey 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I have several friends who are concerned about getting baptized at a church, attending a church, taking advantage of their youth services, homeschool groups etc...

I think that this is because they still believe the Babylon the Great doctrine and think that if a church or church leader has any teachings "wrong" then they are part of Babylon the Great... some thoughts:

Using churches for certain services is not the same as belonging to them. And even then, being a member is not the same as joining the Watchtower organization. You don't have to agree to everything they believe or teach. You don't have to think that their leaders are any closer to God than you are. You don't believe that belonging to them has anything to do with your salvation or relationship with God.

Christians, I would like your thoughts about Babylon the Great and church services.

Love in Christ,

Carmen

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'm not sure homeschooling would be a good idea...

• N.drew
    N.drew

"Babylon the Great" is not "the world empire of false religion".

So the answer would have to be no if an answer of yes or no is sufficient.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

You know I almost posted a thread this morning after getting settled at work, questioning if its possible that in the near future the WT will create receive new light on Babylon the Great. Their teaching that it's the world empire of false religion is one of the STUPIDEST teachings ever found in their printed literature. It's ridiculous to stick to their guns on this subject, especially when much of the criteria that they use to criticise other denominations, can also be used to criticise themselves. The old saying about one pointing the finger at someone while three fingers are aimed at themself holds true.

• tec
    tec

Anything that claims to be or have the same authority of Christ; teaches lies about Him and God (not so easy to detect if you don't know the truth to beginwith)... thereby leading you away from the truth (adulterous and daughters of adultery); teaches you that you must go to them to be saved...well I would think those are part of Babylon the Great.

There is nothing wrong with gathering together as a Church.

Just try to listen to Christ, in spirit, rather than the adulteress who has taught false things about God and His Son, led people away from them, and created 'daughters'.

Peace,

Tammy

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I'm no Christian, but honestly, the Bible was written with 'code' words in the 1st century, and 'Babylon the great' was a code word for Rome. This was done to avoid being persecuted by the Romans. If you believe in types and anti-types, and you think that something in the 21st century is a prophetic fulfilment of Revelation, you still have to identify what it is, and have a good reason for your belief.

• garyneal
    garyneal

transhuman, your post reminded me of what I use to see on Jack Van Impe presents. He identified Babylon the Great as the revived Roman empire and linked it to the European Union.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah well... I just think it is important to debunk all lingering Witness beliefs, and start again. Babylon the Great could be a religious or political entity, IMO. Rome having converted to Christianity centuries after Revelation was written just adds to the confusion. To me, there is no greater fulfilment than Rome, and Nero as 666.

• tec
    tec

I don't really think of Rome in particular or anything like that when I think of 'Babylon the Great'. I think of what it means to be the mother of all prostitutes. I think of what this means: drinking the wine of her adulteries. I think of the references to adulteress in Hosea.. leaving her husband for others and having daughters (the children of her adulterous relationships), who turn to prostitution. All of that is a metaphor for those who left God to 'marry' something else, and the daughters are the results of that false union.

So the wine that everyone drinks from "Babylon the Great" is all the lies and falseness taught from the result of those who left the one meant to be their husband (Christ) for whatever and whomever else. Kings; money; power; politics... whatever they wanted more, and so slanted their 'religion' and its teachings toward. Then the people drank what they taught (the wine); instead of drinking from Christ, Himself.

Peace,

Tammy

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

it's the Governing Body...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit