Did anything significant happen in 1934?

by Paralipomenon 17 Replies latest jw friends

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've always thought 1934 would be a good adjustment date. They could kill two birds with one stone- First, they could put the 607/587 issue to rest. Second, they could buy themselves a little extra time.

But now that they've come out with their overlapping generations theory, it's probably a moot point.

• sir82
    sir82

It's a bit late now, but they could have sided with those who give the date as 586 BC, and 2520 years after that takes you to 1935, when (2 or 3 definitions of "generation" ago) the demarcation between the calling of the anointed vs. the great crowd was said to have occurred.

They could have said something like "Jesus was installed as King in 1935 when the full number of 144,000 had been reached".

Now of course they've come out and said heaven's door didn't really shut in 1935. Also, everyone (or nearly everyone) who identified themselves as part of the "great crowd" in 1935 is now dead (thus indicating they were not of the "great crowd", which by definition survives Armageddon).

So 1935 is pretty much a dead date in WT theology anymore.

Not that that has prevented its use as the security alarm code for countless Kingdom Halls.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm sure that they would appreciate any help they can get but 1934 doesn't really buy them much time and they would still have to answer what Jesus has been doing for the past 75 plus years.

Every significant event that I can think of that would relate to them has long past its value for them to spin. The invention of the hot air balloon. The flush toilet. The barf bag..... we maybe the barf bag. When was that invented?

I think they're should consider themselves fortunate to have a fan base that will eat any $h*t they shovel into the feeding trough and view it as spiritual food.

• little witch
    little witch

My Great, Great, Grandma lossed Her Virginity? LOL

So sorry,. just joking with Ya

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

What I did find was: Adolf Hitler announces German rearmament in violation of the Versailles Treaty.

So basically the beast that causes destruction from Babylon comes back out of the abyss because Jesus kicked Satan out of heaven.

I dunno, you can make whatever implication regarding past, present and future using the Bible, it's worse than Nostradamus.

• moshe
    moshe

The WT doesn't have to buy any extra time. Ever since they deleted the "1914 promise" from the inside cover of the Awake magazine amost 20 years ago, they gave notice to JWs that the promises claimed by the WT society/corp associated with the 1914 date/generation were no longer, uh, promises anymore.

In so doing, the legal department gave notice to JWs that 1914 wasn't to be a corporate promise, either. Remain in the KH at your own peril.

JWs have a personal hope, gained from association at the KH, that they will live forever on a paradise earth- with perfect bodies, health, peace and security and pure worship. This is a unique religious doctrine that you can only get by joining the Jehovah's Witness religion- if you want to go to heaven, go to the Baptist church, if you hope to be a saint after you die, join the Catholic religion.

The WT Corporation has found out that even when they indirectly tell JWs that their teachings are no longer, promises, that most of the JW members don't care and they keep on going to the KH to study the latest WT publication.

So, as long as we have people who want to believe they are going to cheat a natural death from old age by going straight from Armageddon to paradise earth, we will have JWs.

• garyneal
    garyneal

What about 1957 with the signs in the heavens to correspond with the Sputnik moment?

Oh nevermind, that was already discussed and rejected by the GB.

• steve2
    steve2

That year was significant in that Bette Davis had her first substantial film role (Of Human Bondage). She played a moll and garnered positive reviews from some pretty big names in the industry and studio heads sat up and took serious notice of her for the first time. Does that count?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit