The Power Of Words

by finallysomepride 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

This is really lovely. Have a great 2012

Words have more power than some people comprehend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Words are extremely powerful, as we all know. Use them wisely.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Had a book one time "Mental Poisoning" by H Spencer Lewis, I beleive. I lost the book several years ago, but it describes how words can affect people.

Don't know how true some of it is, but interesting book.

Most benificial part is it tells you the basics how to get people to do what you want with out giving orders, people hate to be told what to do...

• finallysomepride
  • Terry
    Terry

I discovered, years ago, how miraculous some simple thing spoken at just the right time can transform a person's life.

I worked as manager at an Art company in Fort Worth. Every day a very bright young man in wrinkled clothes would sweep up and we'd chat.

He was a drummer in a thrasher band. Disheveled, funny, witty and alert I took an interest in how his mind worked.

I invited him to work in the custom framing department. He tossed the broom and he learned a new trade while we had long philisophical conversations. We had friendly debates and long disquisitions.

He had been reared in a very religious family. But, he had questions. We talked about how skepticism is really honest curiosity if it is used correctly.

And so on...

We lost touch. Both of us moved on with our lives.

One day I get an e-mail. It is from him, Chris, from the frame shop.

A most amazing e-mail!

He had, he said, as a result of our talks reassessed his whole life!

He quit the thrasher band and went back to school.

He showed great academic skills.

He ended up putting himself through Cal-Tech.

He became a professor of Archeology!

He invited me to come visit his family. I did.

I was floored when he sat there and told his wife that if it had not been for his conversations with me he'd still be sweeping floors and playing the drums in nightclubs. Wow. I didn't know what to say!

He went on to work at the Smithsonian Institution by invitation!

It struck me: what would any of us be doing if the right person had spoken the right words to us at just the right moment?

How many words of "discouragement" have sent us the wrong way?

WE HAVE SO MUCH POWER and don't even know it.

The Power of WORDS.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

how nice

• Terry
    Terry

My firstborn son wanted to be a "graphic illustrator".

He was terrific at it, too.

He particularly admired one particular comic book artist. It spurred him on to try harder and get better.

Fast forward.....

My son discovers that his hero, the comic book artist, is going to be at a Comic Con (comic convention) in Dallas!

He wanted to take his portfolio to show the artist what he did and get come ideas for how to improve.

The big day came and he stood in line behind all the other worshippers.

Later that night I asked him why he looked so depressed.

He didn't want to talk about it.

Months later he told me.

The guy skipped through his drawings and sneered at him. Shot him down. Insulted my son in front of everybody!

He never drew anything again.

About six months ago, my now grown-up son was digging through some old boxes and found those drawings.

He was furious!

He explained to me, "Dad, my drawings were GREAT! That Asshole was JEALOUS!!"

He still hasn't gotten over it.

Wrong words are powerful, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit