Does Anyone Know the Reading Level of Society Lit?

by Band on the Run 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Nice knowledge after an advanced degree. Not everyone has the opportunity. Growing up I truly believed I was inadequate to understand and those Bible bros were intellectual giants. Funny now but not funny in the day.

• sir82
    sir82

Off hand I'd say 3rd or 4th grade level. Every once in a while they'll throw in a "big word" to give the appearance of depth, but for the most part, paragraphs contain 2 or 3 sentences and each sentence contains just one clause.

Apparently a 4th grade reading level is too challenging for may JW readers, since the last district convenetion had 2 new "simplified" releases - one really simple and the other really REALLY simple. Lots of pictures though.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

It is interesting that Hamsterbait calculated the reading level at 5th and 6th grade, however I believe that was a few years back. The AWAKE magazine for sure has lowered it's reading level at least a few grades since then. I was so astounded at the last AWAKE I received from my parents that I had to tape it up to the fridge this last week. I taped it open to the page that said point to the sun, point to the water, point to the fish. OMG! What do they think they are selling?

It was a great conversation piece for all that were in and out of my house last week.

• jam
    jam

A brother gave this explanation for the level of

society reading material.

If I told you," do not enumerate your fowls before

the process of gestation period has manifested it

self." How many here tonite understood what I said.

A few hands. The society write material so that all

can understand. Don,t count your chickens before they

hatch. So you never grow, you stay at A 5th grade level.

• finally awake
    finally awake

If anyone is truly motivated, you can type the text from an article into Word and then run the spell check. If you have the "check grammar" option enabled, it will tell you the grade level of your writing. I'm not much of a typist, and I'm too lazy to boot up my work computer and dig up a magazine. I'm not really sure how accurate Word's analysis is, it always claims that the reports I write are 10th grade level and they seem really simple to me. If I were rating my own writing, I'd class it at around 8th grade because of the technical jargon. Otherwise, maybe 5th or 6th grade. I try to make my writing really simple so I don't get a lot of questions from the reviewers.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Whatever grade level it is, it seems to be declining. It used to be a higher level--these days, it is getting down to third grade level. A few years from now, given present trends, it could break second grade level. Ultimately, it could become pre-school level.

University of Asleep?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I just ran a couple of pieces from the Jan 15, 2012 WT through a checker at http://www.writingtester.com/tester/grade_level.php

It says it's grade level 10.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Someone told me once that much of the more recent literature was designed so the average (5th grade level) could read it and the pictures (like in the live forever book and brochere) were abundant so that even an illiterate person could get the gist of the message. I work for a large hospital system and we have to make sure that our patient information and home going instructions are on a 5th grade reading level because unfortunatly that is where most folks are. NMKA

• exjehovah
    exjehovah

I would definitely say about 3rd grade level.

The songs they sing would have to be at a 2nd grade level, they are some of the worst "songs" put to music out there. I definitely believe they are repeated for mind control purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit