Field Service: Special Warnings?

by Joe Grundy 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I am not, never have been a JW. Raised in the Plymouth Brethren, now am an atheist.

I've recently had the 'benefit' of a couple of FS visits which I've previously reported here.

The first was from a couple of old dears on a cold and rainy day who I should really have invited in for a warm-up and a cup of hot chocolate (but I didn't).

The second was from a young guy (about 17-18)and his sidekick. He was intelligent and articulate but, of course, his conversation was limited to WTBTS stuff. He gave me his literature: I gave him a note of this site address and another. I felt sorry for him - but this was tempered by the knowledge that he and/or his colleagues may just hit upon some poor vulnerable schmuck who may then be drawn into the WTBTS experince (or 'scam' as it is more properly known).

My question is this. With the benefit of availabilty of information that now exists (JWN, Richard Dawkins Foundation, etc.) more and more recipients of the 'benefits' of home visits have a lot more information available to them than ever before. In view of this, has WTBTS given any 'special warnings' or 'special briefings' to those it sends out to spread their 'message'?

• Gayle
    Gayle

They are afraid of the Internet, and many. many talks anymore for members to not look at "apostate" sites. Social sites like "Facebook" are extremely discouraged to their members. The Internet is their worst enemy. Their young go on the internet, second nature for kids. And, anyone hearing about JWs, or even have some discussions with JWs, are automatically going to check about JWs. Some that still attend conventions are observing most baptisms are JW youth. 2011 reports JW baptisms down by 10.6% worldwide, U.S. down by 7.2% from 2010.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Regardless of how Hot the Weather is..

Always wear Pants in the Field Service..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• sir82
    sir82

No, no special warnings.

Debates between people who read internet sites and/or other forms of "apostate literature" vs. JWs who come to their door are still pretty rare. As it only very rarely happens, no special warnings have been given out.

99.9% of the world's population don't give a rat's patootie about JWs or their beliefs, and can't be bothered to learn the weaknesses of JW doctrine & practice.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for your post Joe. The simple answer is that, as Gayle has indicated, Witnesses are taught to view the internet with great suspicion. In particular, any websites dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses that are NOT the official Watch Tower websites are automatically viewed as potentially apostate, even if they happen to be apologist in nature. In all likelihood, the two young men that you encountered probably binned the paper containing the website addresses at the earliest opportunity, although it was a good idea to give them the URLs anyway just in case either of them had suppressed doubts or were feeling a bit rebellious when they got home. I wish more "householders" (or recipients of evangelical visits) were like you and thought proactively about how they could help individual JWs out of the cult.

Cedars

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I know the WT is conscious of the available information, which should be emphasized by the way as ACCURATE information available about the WT and JWs being available online, and it's evident by the more recent literature. They probably have a PR department seperate from their typical media/PR department, and designed exclusively to monitor and address what's being said online.

As someone still active and who's been going out in field service since birth, it can be said that there's always this faint bit of fear or maybe anxiety is a better word, but the possibility of running into a Bible nut or Jesus Freak who wants to engage in conversation isn't something that the average JW looks forward to. I imagine for some that apprehension has only increased with the availability of information at people's fingertips about JWs via the internet. Most JWs are only barely prepared for field service, and completely incapable of defending the more complicated WT doctrines at the door, especially when met at the door by someone well versed with their own Bible, or overly familiar with the WT's more controversial policies.

I sort of get the feeling the WT doesn't really care though, as they've gone from saying that the purpose of preaching was to save lives, to it brining glory to God's name. In other words we're out their wasting our time because people know WHAT THEY NEED to know about Jehovah's Witnesses and only the gullible and uneducated are likely to fall for the WT's scheme. The WT recognizes this, and so they're concerned only with retainment, not new converts with the exception of born-ins, but even that's another form of retainment. To be honest, I don't believe the public editions of the Watchtower, and the Awake are really designed for the public, as much as they're designed for the rank & file. If the public wants to know about JWs, they'll go online. Where as the WT discourages JWs from spending too much time on the internet, and encourages JWs to spend excessive time reading the WT's literature.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Thanks for the responses.

I am an atheist, having come out from 'indoctrination' in the Plymouth Brethren as a youngster. Their ideas of 'shunning' are not so different.

My position now (and has been for quite some time) is that I would not wish to destroy anyone's faith (especially if they need it) I tend to hold my tongue. When I started my 'research' it took a long time and a lot of effort to find the sources. Now it takes a few seconds and a few 'clicks'.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

'No Room For George' - sorry, I have no wish to make your position more difficult. I acce[t the points you make.

I have found through experience that often there is little point in entering discussion.

In an entirely different (but equally valid) context a distinguished commentator said: 'Why would you bother asking a Thai bar-girl a question when you know you can't believe the answer?'

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Outlaw, This is off-topic. May I ask how you are able to quickly find such visual images that appear so appropiate for the thread. Does it take you long to search for them?

Thanks,

BOTR

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Joe,

We're on the same page: I was raised in the JW organization and have gravitated first to clap-happy Christianity then to agnosticism and more latterly am impressed with the evidence-based arguments of Richard Dawkins and co (including Chris Hitchens). One day I may garner the fortitude to come right out and say, I don't believe god - or gods for that matter - exist.

Regarding your question, I think that JWs are much more likely to "find" apathy at the door than apostasy. It's always been that way. I recall as a youngster finding the occasional zealous evangelical Christian householder who was intent on converting me to their "brand" of Christianity. Looking back, I now refer to these kinds of earnestly argumentative encounters as 'when mad meets mad' because both sides are blindly wedded to their own crazy-making doctrines based on blood sacrifice

That kind of encounter is extremely rare - so rare that most warnings in the JW literature - if you can call them warnings - are about the hapless witness not being discouraged by householder absence or apathy.

I also recognize something else that is as true today as it was when I trudged to the kingdom hall a mere few decades ago: Inside that hall, the main enemy of "the truth" was never ever apostasy but apathy. Kingdom Halls are well known for rote ABC learning and superficial salesmanship. Again, extremely few JWs even bothered to acquaint themselves with what were - and are - the main points of contention against their 'hallowed' religious doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit