Motives for starting the lie of Watchtower Authority.

by marriedtoajw 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

I have yet to come across anyones opinions, jw or not, of the personal motives of the leaders of the Org. to perpetuate what I guess we all would call the lie of the Watchtoer Authority. In my opinion, I think that Russell was an athiest out to show how easy it is to decieve people using the Bible. Through his personal interpretations and charisma, he knew he had a talent of convincing people. He made it his mission to overturn Christianity doctrine by doctrine all the way up until his death. I believe that Rutherford was an opportunist who positioned himself to cash in on what Russell built. After them, they are all victims of victims. Just my opinion but I was just curious what your thoughts are on the motives of the original leaders Russell and Rutherford.

• cedars
    cedars

I haven't studied them enough to be any authority, but it strikes me that they were both genuine to the extent that they bought into their own publicity. I don't believe Russell was out to dismantle Christianity as part of a grand conspiracy. I think he thought very highly of himself and his religious opinions, and managed to convince others that he had a unique take on things. From what I have learned of Rutherford, he was a bully and a drunkard who exalted himself at all costs. Again, whether he knew what he was doing is anyone's guess. I think people like this often fall victim to their own hype, especially when they receive the adoration of others.

Cedars

• sabastious
    sabastious

Rutherford was recorded saying that he always dreamed of leading an army. Their motivation comes from their higher selves (spirits) of which are as unique as the vessels that they have control over. I call them Overlord Souls. An Overlord Soul will always find themselves at the top of a hierarchical latter that they either create themselves or steal from another for their own purposes. That's why the Watchtower has a hiearchial structure because it's a medium for Overlord Souls to get what they truly desire: control over as many souls as possible. Other Overlord Souls include Momar Quadafi, Adolph Hitler, Mao Zedong and I suspect Barack Obama, but I'm not going to tag him with it just yet. Rutherford was no doubt one and so are the current GB.

-Sab

• N.drew
    N.drew

A goat shaped demon is someone who's power comes from how many people they can attract to themselves.

• sir82
    sir82

I have little doubt that the organization was started with the best of intentions. I think Russell & his followers really truly thought they had it all figured out, even as our posters Larsinger, OBVES, and others think so now.

I have even less doubt that as time passed and the organization grew, preservation of the organization itself became its primary focus.

Regarding those who lead the organization today, I yet again have little doubt that their primary satisfaction comes from the power they wield over 7.5 million "sheep", and they focus on preserving the organization so as to maintain that power.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I believe Russell was sincere but deluded. Rutherford was an opportunist who maybe sort-of believed in some of the doctrine but religion and truth were secondary to his own ego. Since then we have had a Rutherford mini-me in Knorr who by most accounts was a businessman more than a religious leader. Then there was the insane oracle of "Crazy" Freddie Franz who believed every word he ever wrote, even when they contradicted previous words. Henschel was a captive to the concepts built by his predecessors who rode the status quo until his death, and that was the end of the religious significance of the president of the Borg.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It has more to do with delusion than deliberate efforts at deception.

They believe this stuff for the most part, and if in the recesses of their minds they dont, then they cant and daren't tell anyone else about it....

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Power, control and a little bit of money to help along the way.

They knew what and how to draw attention to themselves and their published works.

If god is openly perceived as power in the minds of the greater public, then self identifying myself as god's solemnly

chosen organization used by god then I'm cultivating my own power .

That is the reason the WTS. identifies itself as god's earthly arrangement

among other things. Religion is a game of power and control and what ALL religions believe in their endeavors are derived

from this idealogical concept.

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

IMO Russell believed his own crap upto probably around 1914 where he started to lose confidence in the end. He never gave up on the faith as a whole. He also was a businessman and moved his assets into a religious corporation to keep the money from Maria who divorced him.

Rutherford, was an ass and used others for his own benefit. He didn't mind embellishing on reality and created a cult movement.

Most others until death of Fred Franz may have been victims of concept as they tried to still look for BS dates and manage the movement with the idea of the end. This is still all before internet and the growth of "apostates."

Today, though, I don't believe these people are victims but are perpetrators of crimes against others. They grew up in a cult and have no balls to walk away from it all. They run the cult by any means necessary to keep it together and get as much benefit they can within the expected confines of set rules. This stops them from owning personal mansions or having personal wealth but allows them to still live the remainder of their lives quite comfortable knowing that if they left they would die in poverty. GB already gave up their authority over the publishing empire to non-anointed and the misquotes and total deception in today's publications makes be think the top doesn't believe the crap anymore either but needs perpetuate the delusion amongst the jws. Who gains from the massive investments and real estate profits - I don't know but I think there are some who do. We know the money isn't flowing to the missionaries or general JWs.

In conclusion I think that GB is like US president knowing the outcome for the people will be bad but they don't want the reality to him the general population under their watch so they'll do as much as they can to perpetuate the con.

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

The leaders in my view must have doubts but they will use the mind trick and have faith which must be, but they wont admit it ,blind faith.They need to show authority to the rank and file to keep the whole process alive and on going. However no authority has been given to them they have assumed that authority just like somebody who thinks they are a Hitler or whoever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit