Are you CONFRONTED by Elders? 7 points to practice

by Terry 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Terry you provided a wonderful post. Wish I had this information years ago.

• sd-7
    sd-7

That could be handy if I'm ambushed again in March or something. But I'm not so good at staying calm when elders are involved. I've still got phobia issues to work out.

"You seem nervous, sd-7. Are you afraid that this is the truth?"

"I am afraid. I'm afraid you're mistaken."

--sd-7

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Terry, very good points. Ummm... I think that you got yourself in a pickle on #4 though. You could be interpreted as picking on the GB.

What worked for me... when the 'elders' came by to chat with me, was to just sit, nod, mumble (a lot), drool a little... if they think that you're about to go postal, for some reason they back off... waaaay off... and leave you alone.

For those times that they would use the "We'd like to come back and talk with you again sometime.", I would just say, "Sure. Anytime."

It's like gambling. I'm gambling that they will forget about their desire to visit with me as soon as they leave. They always did, and never came back for that visit.

I guess I was never any good at knowing the religion, and so couldn't talk 'bible' with them. They would always be quoting scriptures... I had a low retention level for such things.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Terry
    Terry

I think that you got yourself in a pickle on #4 though. You could be interpreted as picking on the GB.

Yeah, you'd have to sound really spontaneous have a really blank expression with no inflection at all to get away with it, I suppose.

State it with a sense of discovery!

• Duncan
    Duncan

Really excellent post Terry.

well thought-out, well expressed.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Thanks Terry....good stuff.....

But I have ONE point: They better turn and burn or eat my fist.

Works every time.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

LOL, Terry!

You have a lot of good points here. I'm afraid it's too late for me though! I've nailed them upside the head so many times that there is no doubt in anybody's mind where I stand!

For instance, "Are you saying the Governing Body is not properly doing its job and that we should doubt them, brother?"

"No, I'm trying to figure out why they would claim to be inspired of God."

(Their answer, looking surprised and alarmed) "They aren't! They are guided by Jehovah's spirit, but they are not claiming to be inspired!"

My retort: "What's the difference?"

They know damned well there is no difference, and the way they stumble all over themselves is funny.

So, they resort to intimidation. It barely starts and I start laughing. "Brothers, what part of the Fruitage of the Spirit are you demonstrating right now? Can you picture Jesus using intimidation to answer a scriptural question from one of his followers?"

Never allowing them to get off the defensive is priceless. It forces them to think, whether they want to or not, and because they have no answers to those questions, they fester and that leaves a chink in their armor that will, many times, grow until they get out, or turn completely bad. As a bare minimum, it destroys their air of superiority. Sure they get mad. Good. Maybe it will grow hair on their chests.

It also does wonders for our own senses of value and confidence.

Don't mistake me here though. I'm not recommending that things like these be used right off the bat. However, it is mighty nice to have a collection of them in reserve to use when push comes to shove. Turning the tables on a bunch of bullies is utterly delicious.

Tom

• Fernando
    Fernando

Great points and confrontation handling skills Terry!

To this day I'm deeply grateful that I did not initially use all my resources to box them in completely and show them just how wrong they were. This could have sent these venomous serpents deeper underground and prevented them from playing their evil hand and revealing their wicked hearts.

Now much more is in the open. I have a recording of their talk warning the "publishers of the good news" against the "good news"! Now I know for a fact they are Jesus' enemies and children of their father the devil the "god of religion".

I was thankfully able to control the end-game and leave with more dignity than otherwise. I much prefer it this way.

• nugget
    nugget

Terry very good post for everyone wishing not to appear threatening. Sadly married to Cantleave meant this was not going to work for us bless him. You can't win an argument with JWs but this strategy will certainly preserve your dignity.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

marking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit