Who Did The Early Church Call Upon? Jesus or Jehovah?

by JCISGOD98 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JCISGOD98
    JCISGOD98

Whose Name Was The Early Church Calling Upon?
    Jesus or Jehovah?
    Acts 9:14 a verse Jehovah's Witnesses Can't Explain!

Jehovah Witnesses claim they are the true historic church from the book of Acts when the church got started. If that is true, then Acts 9:14 should apply to them. Act 9:14 clearly show the early church was calling upon the name of Jesus. Church members got arrested and were persecuted for calling upon the name of Jesus.

Historically, the church was always persecuted for calling upon the name of Jesus and not Jehovah. If the early church was calling on the name Jehovah or Yahweh, Saul and the high priests would have no problem with the Christian church. Why persecute members of the church if the church was using the name of Jehovah, a name recognized by the high priest and Saul?

Let’s read Acts 9:5 though 17 as you will notice all content is about our Lord Jesus Christ. Let’s begin when Christ appeared to Saul who later became Saint Paul for Jesus Christ.

Acts 9:5-17 (KJV)

He (Saul) fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” 5 “Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked. “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. 6 “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

There is no question that it is the Lord Jesus not Jehovah who is having a conversation with Saul. Even Jehovah’s Witnesses will admit to this.

10 In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!” “Yes, Lord,” he answered. 11 The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. 12 In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.” 13 “Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. 14 And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.” 15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses claim that Ananias was speaking with Jehovah the Father in verses 10 through 16. The next verse reveals who Ananias was speaking with.

17 Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Here are important points regarding verse 17:

• It was Jesus who sent Ananias to Saul
    • It was Jesus who told Ananias to place his hands on Saul so Saul may see again
    • This is clearly a prayer for Saul’s vision to be restored and Jehovah’s name was not used.

In conclusion, the early church was persecuted and suffered for calling upon the name of Jesus not Jehovah. The early church prayed in Jesus name not the name of Jehovah. The bottom line is, Jehovah Witnesses are not the true early church of Christendom of the book of Acts. They should throw away the book of Acts. It does not apply to them.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Religionists and their black and white. Isn't it possible they called upon both?

• JCISGOD98
    JCISGOD98

If the Church called upon Both, Jesus and the Father, then surely it's ok to pray to both which is not a position JWs believe in. Sure, the Church called on Both but Acts 9:14 clearly shows the Church members called upon Jesus and suffered for His name sake.

• Terry
    Terry

If the early church was calling on the name Jehovah or Yahweh, Saul and the high priests would have no problem with the Christian church. Why persecute members of the church if the church was using the name of Jehovah, a name recognized by the high priest and Saul?

No self-respecting Jew would EVER pronounce the sacred name.

It was not superstition, but, a reverence and righteous fear of taking that NAME in vain.

If they wouldn't write it, why would you think they'd use it in speech or prayer?

• JCISGOD98
    JCISGOD98

Hey, that's probably why they used the name above all names, Jesus. I guess when they addressed the Father, they used the name FATHER instead of Jehovah if the early Christian Jews were superstitious for mispronouncing the word Jehovah or Yahweh.

• JCISGOD98
    JCISGOD98

Also notice, Saul said WHO IS THAT, LORD? He probably was a superstitious Jew himself. He probably thought it was the Father and he used the name Lord.

• designs
    designs

Cute Jewish story on prayer- a Rabbi overheard a Jewish man praying but reciting the Jewish Alphabet, when the Rabbi asked about it the man said he couldn't think of what to say and figured God was smart enough to fill in the gaps.

• JCISGOD98
    JCISGOD98

Rev 5:8 and 9
    And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. 9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Here is another proof text the saints on earth were calling upon Jesus. The four beast and the twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having harps and golden vials full of odours which are the prayers of the saints. Now why present these prayers to Jesus if they were not address to Him? Shouldn't Jesus say, "You 4 beasts and elders, give those vials to my Father. then afterward sing a new song to me."

Ask a Jehovah's Witness, "how do you think The Father feels if The Prayers were address to Him and His Son Jesus is getting all the Glory in song?

Don't you think the Father should be getting the prayers and the songs of glory address to Him and not his Son Jesus?

• designs
    designs

JCI- Are you really worried about it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I lived in NY so I knew many Jewish people. They write G-D in their personal notes. I have never heard them refer to "YHWH, Jehovah, or any variant on a personal name. My assumption is that the apostles and others became Jewish Christians after the Resurrection and Pentecost. Acts reports that they went to the Temple to worship. Christology is complex but I believe there was not an immediate recognition that Jesus was God. It is a massive leap that I almost believe one must be Jewish to understand what a leap it was. Stephen is a Greek name. I wonder if they were suddenly preaching that Jesus was God that triggered the stoning. I read someplace all the Christians mentioned have Greek names. Evidently, there was a blending of Jewish and Greek thought.

There is debate whether Jesus believe he was God. One would think he would very clear about the matter.

My vote is that they used both names. As the church became more gentile and Jews were more and more upset about any claim that Christianity was Jewish, I think they called on Jehovah less.

I don't think anyone ever called on Jehovah's name. Isn't it a mistake from the Middle Ages? Since Jews don't write the"o" in "God" perhaps they never said "Yahweh" but wrote YHWH. I don't believe I know anyone who would know what happened so far back in time. If Noah, Moses, whomever, existed, they would said "YHWH." I am uncertain what power the vowels have.

So the Witnesses are wrong but is that news.....Is it any wonder they discourage Internet usage and education?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit