Am I still an Ex JW?

by darthfader 12 Replies latest jw friends

• darthfader
    darthfader

I was thinking the other day about being an “Ex Jehovah’s Witness”… Will I always be an “Ex JW? Will I know when I’m no longer an Ex JW? What can I do to become less of an Ex JW and more of a “normal person” (whatever that is)… For me, being a JW was a little like a cross between “The Firm” and “Hotel California” where I feel like, at any point, one of the “friends” will spot me and either accost me or report me to the Elders. For me, I determined that being an Ex JW was defined as someone who is no longer attending meetings, the annual memorial, assemblies, and of course not participating in field service, yet, still effected daily by them. Some (me for instance) who still have family in “The Truth” have to watch what they say, mute any participation with “worldly events” (Holidays, social and sporting events) and generally keep as much to themselves as possible.

So for moral support I joined this forum. Sought the experiences of those who traveled before me and suffered the slings and arrows of separation from family, friends and “all those wasted years”… Many people no longer post here, yet their contributions to the collective work of support, education and enlightenment will remain here to help those who come after.

I sincerely hope that each one of us can, at some point in the future, no longer consider ourselves as “Ex Jehovah’s Witnesses” and join the ranks of normal people and enjoy the rest of our lives in peace.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all of you!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You cannot change the past, it happened. You are no longer a JW, so you are an ex-JW. Facts.

What matters is how you feel inside, and how often you look over your shoulder. If you really do not give a poop what any JW thinks, family or not, and live your life exactly as you want, openly, then you are an ex-ex-JW, or XXJW.

Until then, you are an XJW.

Ah ! One day ! We shall be truly free !

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks Phizzy!... Here's to becoming a "XX"

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I don't consider myself an ex-JW as much as I consider myself to now be a follower of Christ and whenever I decide to get re-baptized, I will then consider myself a Christian, not an ex-JW. I say consider yourself you, whatever is the big thing in your life, your main hobby, your main belief, whatever. If I had become someone not interested in religion, then I would consider myself an artist, because that's what I am. So consider yourself to be whoever you are now, not who you were in the past. I hope that makes sense :)

• darthfader
    darthfader

Thanks lilbluekitty. Good luck on your quest.

• sabastious
    sabastious

The line is in the sand, until it isn't there will be sides taken.

-Sab

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

You'll always be an ex-JW. That's why we're all here. Trust me, I've tried to tear that part out of my life for years, but still can't escape it. The only respite would be once I'm dead or all my Witness relatives are, neither of which result I am looking to hasten. When you have an organization who views you in a worse light for having actually put in the time and then exited than someone who has never believed, you'll always have the "ex" label written on you.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

Darth ...this has been on my mind latley too.......is there an out? fading is it worth it? would the wounds have been deep, yet heal easier by DAing? hmmm well from one xjw to another...happy newyear

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Maybe you can call yourself JW alumni if that feels more appropriate?

CP

• darthfader
    darthfader

Sab, I am eager to erase the line.

SST, I agree and am in the same boat with ya.

3d1h, Thank you!

Clear, no thanks... I'd like to erase the letters J and W from the list completely :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit