Witnesses have gotten soft and spongy.

by Paralipomenon 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Thinking about witnesses in the past, when the witness work was banned, they went underground, continuing to meet and deliver tracts under cover of night.

All this due to their reasoning that they will obey Cesar's law only when it doesn't conflict with God's commandments, such as "Preach to all people"

Now we see the Watchtower telling it's membership to respect "No Trespassing" or "No solicitating" messages, as well as condo bylaws that prohibit door to door visits.

Watching them bend more and more to comply with Cesar's law to give up preaching so that they don't get fines. They've become more concerned with protecting their legal interests and money stockpile that the witness work is now more of a token activity to keep people busy.

One thing I don't know is, have they lightened up on phone witnesses with the introduction of the national do not call list?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Funny you should post this..I live in a secured condo and wondered how they can reach/try to brainwash those that live in them. Well I came home today after being gone a week and was unloading my car. I noticed a car had parked not to far away form me in the visitors parking space..they got out of their car and rushed up to me with magazines in hand..nicely spread out so I could see the titles and said" Would you like some magazines of (Not sure of word) Life or Light..
    That was a new approach to me..
    I said "NO thanks..I don't want any of that..."
    They almost ran back to their car and then continued to sit and wait for their next victim..

I was thinking"What a easy way for them to get their time in"..

First time in 3 years I have seen them. I think I saw someone making a return visit or going to a bible study one time as he had the little suitcase and the look..course he could have been a insurance agent..same thing right?..

Snoozy

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I live in a secured condo area as well, I found out that the witnesses used to go door to door there, and when challenged they claimed they were down visiting us and just wanted to drop in on a few of our neighbours.

I was livid, I hadn't been to a meeting in over half a year, but I showed up and blasted them for doing that.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

The JWs of the '30s and '40s would be horrified at the JWs now. Back then they risked prison and even death, now some JWs are even afraid to go to doors with "Beware of the dogs" signs. *sigh*

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

If Witnesses go to homes with No Trespassing signs the Society will not pay for their legal expenses or help them in court. They are on their own there.

Most congregations make gated communities a phone territory or write letters.

There was a housing plan like that in my hall's territory. And we would go to a few doors and leave.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

They can't get into my building without a key or a code ..so they sit in the parking lot and wait for victims..

They have a sign saying it is private at the entrance of the condo's..but they ignored that. They also aren't allowed to park unless they have a permit on their window..or visiting a guest they know.

Dingbats..

Snoozy

• Violia
    Violia

My gparents risked their life and jobs to preach the good news of God's Kingdom. It meant something then to them, and me. Missionaries were really there to got involved. I have known some amazing people who truly were gifts in men. Pity they are all gone.

Snozzy, is there a way you can report them? A gated community is just that and they should not be able to enter unless the residents want this.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

My apartment complex is also a "No Soliciting" environment. We have a security company that makes the rounds in the parking lot several times a day. The closest we've gotten is a neighbor from the complex across the way came and gave a few of us a schedule for her church. No pushing and trying to get us to take literature or anything. Just "Hey this is our church, you're welcome to join us, have a nice day". Other than that, it's only local restaurants leaving delivery menus lol.

I remember when they first instituted the "proceed at your own risk" policy regarding Private Property and No Trespassing signs. A few older brothers I knew would still go... One sister forced me to go to a door with her where signs were clearly posted all along the driveway (it was a long driveway, winding through about an acre of woods...the signs were posted every other tree practically...). I kept telling her we shouldn't be going there, they clearly didn't want to be bothered. She pooh-pooh'ed my concern. "They don't mean US, they mean salesmen and stuff like that...". We got hollered at, threatened, and told to leave and never come back. On one particular morning, another sister ended up placing a book with the homeowner (I really hate the word "householder"...), but when we tried to come back, her husband ran us off and told us they "don't want that shit".

I think JW's today are more concerned about the number of hours they put in (and where they can cheat and get more to make their time slip look better) than actually talking to people and discussing the bible.

Think about it:

They are trained with short, canned presentations. They are not so much trained with "conversation stoppers" anymore. I haven't seen much focus on that in a long time. They carry the Reasoning book, but rarely crack it open...when they do, they pretty much just read off what's on the printed page. There is no brain work there. But, if there is objection, they will usually say "Have a nice day" and leave without asking why. Years ago, I remember my own mother speaking to people and asking what was the reason for their objection and then trying to use that tactic to further speak with them. I haven't seen that happen in a long time. A person who wants a REAL discussion of the bible and what it actually says is like the boogeyman to a JW. A good number of them knock and hope no one is at home, much less someone who may "think" they know the bible. When that happens, the JW goes into "we're not here to argue" mode. Or worse, they treat the homeowner as if they are an apostate and run away. There are a number of YouTube videos where this is the case. The homeowner was never a JW, just happens to know a lot about their beliefs...yet they are still called an apostate when they bring up different points about the JW religion. JW's are afraid to talk to people nowadays because if it involves anything more than handing them a Watchtower or studying with someone malleable from the Bible Teach book, they can't handle it. It's why they present Watchtower publications and use only one or two scriptures to show that they read the bible. They don't want to DISCUSS the bible. They want to discuss Watchtower doctrines. When someone isn't open to discussing that, but WILL discuss the bible, the JW's find themselves lost in most cases.

Russell would roll over in his grave...

• moshe
    moshe

Let's suppose a JW couple move into town and buy a house in a locked down gated community- wow, they have the neighborhood all to themselves- except that JWs don't want to advertise to their neighbors that they belong to a kook religion- they also don't want to have somebody like me, living on the same block pay them a neighborly visit at their own home to discuss their favorite topic- The WatchTower organization. No, they prefer to have other JWs talk to their neighbors, while they go to somebody else's neighborhood.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises
    My gparents risked their life and jobs to preach the good news of God's Kingdom. It meant something then to them, and me. Missionaries were really there to got involved. I have known some amazing people who truly were gifts in men. Pity they are all gone.

I agree.

My grandmother and mother were active witnesses even during the ban during WW2 (in Australia). My g'mother hid WT books among her other books which were overlooked when the police raided her house.

The JWs of today ARE soft.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit