DF? Sue for Fraud-New Strategy

by messenger 16 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

It seems new directions may be opening up for those who have been tricked by religion. Did you sell your home before 1975 to pioneer? Did you pioneer thinking the end would come within five years? Did you forgo a college education to preach? How much did it cost you? Did you lose money in a businnes deal with brothers and the elders told you to make peace with your brother? How about a family inheritance being donated to a religion that lied about the time of the end?

It might be open season soon if the courts continue to rule in this direction. How do you think WT lawyers will fare before a jury when it can be legally proven they have committed fraud by lying to their members in the pages of Watchtowers?

Quote:
    "God's people have always been persecuted and right now is no different."

Yea, right, you know that can go both directions....

. http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSWeirdNews0201/30_wom-ap.html

Women win cash for religious deception

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A jury awarded $290,000 to two women who said they were deceived by a fundamentalist church whose leaders promised to produce Jesus Christ in the flesh.

The True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of the Saints of the Last Days was ordered Monday to pay $270,000 to Kaziah Hancock and more than $20,000 to Cindy Stewart for fraud, breach of contract and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

As a condition of church membership, Hancock gave 67 acres of her farm and shares of water rights to the church for redistribution among members. Stewart contributed money from her retirement plan, attorney Don Redd said.

In return, church founder Jim Harmston promised payments on other property, membership in heaven's elite and the chance to meet Christ on earth, Redd said.

The eight-member jury threw out complaints of racketeering and unjust enrichment against the church and Harmston.

Harmston refused to comment and referred questions to his attorney, Mark Middlemas. Middlemas did not return calls Tuesday.

Harmston's wife, Elaine, told The Salt Lake Tribune that she was disappointed with the verdict, adding: "God's people have always been persecuted and right now is no different."

• ISP
    ISP

Hey cool case!

Got to be worth a punt! Select your best case, that has emotional impact, quantifiable losses and get it in front of a jury! Who knows?!
    If one case bites...there might be a deluge!

ISP

• JT
    JT

this is so DEEP

i can't believe it made it thru the courts

wt may be in some deep do do if nothing more it will tie up thier legal department for years

i will see if i can find out the law firm that took this case

this is so deep

i will try to contact the paper

• Kay Francis
    Kay Francis

If this is what I think it is, we should get Johnnie Cochran to represent us, cuz in this case it will fit, so they won't be able to acquit.

• JT
    JT

Kay email me

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Messenger,

I have wondered how a suit for misrepresentation of facts and nondisclosure with intent to defraud might be possible since the Watch Tower Corporation so conveniently separated the book publishing, real estate company, and the holding company from the religion.

Seems to me they might have dropped their guard. In the past their behaviors have been legal in the United States only because they operated as a religion. Courts have been able to separate the secular elements of the corporations operating under the umbrella of religion for some time and treat those secular elements with secular laws.

If the Watch Tower Corporation wished to separate it's secular divisions such as the book publishing, real estate company, and the holding company from the religion for the purpose of limiting their liability due to the tide of dissidents uprising against the religious division, they may have shot themselves in the foot, so to speak.

It will be interesting to see how the attorneys, now preparing class action suits against the Watch Tower Conglomerate, proceed. Will they see the book publishing company having separate standards to meet from the religious division?

I personally think the Watch Tower Corporation was unwise to secularize the vast majority of their assets. Time will tell.

My best to all.

gb

• messenger
    messenger

The fatal flaw was reiterated in the latest WT. All direction is attributed to the Governing Body, they run the show. If you sue the GB then everything they control has to pay. All the corporate dancing in the world will not take away that fact, thus their lust for absolute control will lead to their undoing.

• metatron
    metatron

Wow! fantastic!

How 'bout the '69 Awake lie?

"you will never grow old"

metatron

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I would be willing to put my $$$ towards a really good case against the WTS using this strategy. We need to find a good, solid case -- the 1975 fiasco and foregoing college sound the best to me.

ATTACK THE BORG FROM ALL ANGLES CLASS

• ros
    ros

Hi, Garybus!
    Long time no com.
    Good points. A lady is in communication with me now who is in process of litigation against the WTS. Maybe we should form a private e-mail forum for discussion and colaboration about this stuff.

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit