Please share! Unforgettable literary & movie scenes.

by N.drew 36 Replies latest jw friends

• N.drew
    N.drew

One is a scene of a woman whose head ends up in a cage with rats. And even though the thought is repulsive, who would even think it might be something to be afraid of? I think that was the point, if i remember correctly. But it was a long time ago.

I have some that are worse. But many that are better.

Please share your favorite or your least favorite (if your feeling mean).

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=C0aLrrnyDhg

First part of three. The historical More was full of foibles but Hollywood More was a hero.

Sry - iPad can't post proper links

• TheWanderer
    TheWanderer

Not something that comes to mind, but a similar scene in 1984 (I believe its in the movie as well as the book) where they force a confession from the main character by threatening to put his face in a small cage of hungry rats. -shivers- I don't want to see A rat, much less a bunch, much less near my face wanting to make a happy meal out of it!!

Besides some of the wicked stuff in Saw movies and that kind of thing, I remember a scene in one movie (I believe it was The Collector from a year or two ago) where a man is tortured; the culprit slashes open his chest, then opens a mason jar with some large bugs of some sort, and puts a lighter under the jar. The bugs are trying to escape the heat by borrowing into the man's chest... another -shiver- moment, heh

• N.drew
    N.drew

How many kinds of wibble do you think there are Q?

And if the link is visual, I'll give it a try, but my computer has no sound.

I forgot about the links. I was thinking more of memory. From a person's memory, then written down. It's good practice.

I like it without sound better I think. A good one, huh?!

• N.drew
    N.drew

Thewanderer I remember that. It's not one of the one's I can't shake.

The worst one is from DUNE. Can anyone quess that one I'm thinking?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

"it puts the lotion in the basket"

• N.drew
    N.drew

In Dune there was an evil commander in charge. He owned slaves. He had them operated on with a plug inserted. When he was feeling more nasty than usual he would choose a slave, unplug him, then let the slave die in his arms.

But I have a good one that makes me laugh every time. Sandra Bullock is undercover at the Miss America Contest. She has a listening device in her ear. In the spy mobile the operator is adjusting for sound so the thing shrieks in her ear. So she says the first thing out loud that comes to mind, of course it's "Jesus". So to cover up her fault she gets down on her knees and says "I forgot to pray!".

• undercover
    undercover

Roger has the best line of the entire season at the end of this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEh7xyRAteY

• AGuest
    AGuest

From probably THE best book I've ever read, dear N.Drew (peace to you!)... SO good, I've yet to finish it. The book, "The Journeyer", by Gary Jennings (also author of "Aztec," and "Raptor", neither of which I've read, yet, and you'll understand why in a sec).

The story is about the journey of Marco Polo, his father, and his uncle (a closet pedophile/homosexual - and there's a lot of homosexuality in the book... not too much, but realisitically because it's based on the time period and area). The details of the journey are wonderful, yet often quite graphic. The one I'm about to share stayed in my mind... indeed, literally haunted me and has for years... such that I can't complete the book:

At some point, Marco, his father, and uncle arrive in some village in what is now the far Middle East (perhaps one of the "stans" - I can't remember; I just remember the town had a bazaar, so...). Anyway, there they are "given" a little boy, about 8 years old... by his older sister, who had cared for him most of his life. This boy, like many others, was raised to be a... ummmm... male companion. Starting from his birth, small ceramic "cones" were inserted "in" him... to prepare him. As he grew older, the cones grew larger. Yeah, hard to read, I know. But... I got through it. Jennings didn't linger on it too much...

Anyway, they take this little boy on the journey with them and you come to know him, even have affection for him. The uncle has GREAT affection for him and so you're always intrepid that Uncle is gonna "do" something to this child at some point: he is very kind, loving, tender with the child, even overly so... so that it's a bit concerning, even for Marco. Uncle DOESN'T, though, possibly because he never gets the chance (you also get the impression that Uncle might wait until the boy is a little older. Say... 12. I know, I know...). Moving on...

Anyway, one night they're camping in the desert where they are attacked and beaten by mongols (from a roaming barbarian tribe). These steal the little boy... and the Polo's horses... and ride off with both into the night. Of course, Marco and his father and uncle set off to at least try to find the boy. They do find him, some time later, sitting propped up against a rock. It was still night, so they couldn't see him clearly, but he seemed "okay" - he could talk clearly.

They asked him how he was and he said that he was "fine"... but "very cold." They then asked him what happened and he said, "Well, they just kept passing me back and forth between them as we rode. They never even stopped, until here." At this, the uncle becomes VERY enraged and vows to avenge the boy's... well, "virtue" (although I don't recall if that's the exact word). What the boy says... and what happens... next, though, is why I couldn't finish the book (until then, it was, again, THE best [historical fiction] book I've ever read... and still is, but I just can't do it, yet):

The boy says, "No, I don't think that's what they wanted." He then commented again about how cold he was... and falls forward, his head in his lap.

Of course, they grabbed him to sit him back up and it was then that they saw... that his entire abdomen... and most of his entrails... were gone. As the monguls had eaten him... passing him back and forth between them... as they rode.

Because of the author's SUPERIOR writing style, I simply could NOT get that image out of my head! I cried for that little boy for WEEKS! I then asked my husband (who's read all of Jenning's books) whether the journey's tales continued to be as graphic or if that was the "worst" of it (I was hoping!!). He said, "Oh, it gets even more graphic, Sweetie!" So, I was done. My "heart" just couldn't take it.

But I have NEVER read a book that "took me" to the scene SO vividly, so realistically... than "The Journeyer." Per my husband, "Aztec" and "Raptor" are just as good.

I would tell anyone who loves GOOD historical fiction to have a go... but to beware: you will NOT forget this book.

Okay, that's my contribution!

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

That scene was crazy. The scene that I loved the most on this show was when he got in Peggy's behind. He had to put her in her place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im1_PutK3sc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit