Letter About 1914 and Fred Franz

by Bangalore 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Paul Johnson, lead of the Laymen's Home Missionary Movement, and Fred Franz had a running theological feud, like a chess game of move counter move.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Was the feud nasty or was it a collegial endeavor? I don't know Freddie's full life story and how he became a Witness. Why did he rise so quickly? I wonder if wikipedia has an article.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

That the deliverance of the saints must take place some time before 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time (Studies in the Scriptures 1911 edition)

That the deliverance of the saints must take place very soon after 1914 is manifest, since the deliverance of fleshly Israel, as we shall see, is appointed to take place at that time (Studies in the Scriptures 1915 edition)

"The year A.D. 1878, ... clearly marks the time for the actual assuming of power as King of kings, by our present, spiritual, invisible Lord...." Thy Kingdom Come (1911 ed) p.239

They are correct in saying that they always mentioned "the appointed times of the nation" would end in 1914 but they changed the meaning of that phrase from Armageddon to the invisible reign in heaven.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The letter makes the statement again that the organization's elders and Governing Body are "not directly inspired by God." How can that be? How can God's alleged only organization not be inspired by God? How can mountains of written materials not be inspired by God? It's a tacit admission that they cannot be God's only organization. Why would anyone want to belong to a religion that is not inspired by God? Who inspires them? I think we know the answer to that.

• designs
    designs

Band- When you review the literature produced by Paul Johnson from 1920-1950 when he died and the literaure produced by the Watchtower during that same period you see how these two were contantly trying to one-up each other particularly in the Type-AntiTypes.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I admire people who have an interest in these relatively minor history matters.

Wikipedia did have several articles. I forgot to read the Discussion tab which is the best part. I know it is a bit off-topic but I read the article about Rutherford and the leadership dispute. Perhaps corporate law was different than now. It seems to me that only a judge, upheld by an appellate court, can rule on corporate law. Both sides kept competing and hiring more and more lawyers to have tailored legal opinions. I truly doubt that any lawyer had an opinion adverse to the interests of their client. No one ever addresses why a court action was not commenced.

This volume of opinions was ridiculed in the Middle Ages. An important function of law is to have settled expectations so that people can plan their business. It can't be overturned all the time. Also, people need to know some approximation of their risk for conduct. I find it very curious. Everytime I read the record I am left with a feeling that something else actually happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit