I love the hypocrisy...slamming other religions for not adhering to the bible.

by poopsiecakes 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

This is from the January 2012 WT (members edition)

To this day, many of the clergy elevate the uninspired sayings of so-called Church Fathers to a plane higher than the Word of God! If you have ever discussed the Trinity doctrine with a seminarian, you have likely noticed that.

- pg. 6 par. 11

I freakin' love it. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen things that the GB and local elders make rules about that have NO basis in any scripture. Honestly, it makes me laugh. A lot.
  • Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Ah-yup. The funny thing is, a "seminarian" knows wtf they're talking about when they argue the Trinity. They know the scripture texts that "prove" their doctrine. The WTBTS likes to point the finger and say that because the Catholic Encyclopedia states that the word "Trinity" doesn't appear in the bible, yet they still teach it, that it's not a biblical teaching and therefore, they are liars and false religion.

However, I challenge ANY JW to find the words "Governing Body" and "Organization" in the bible... Can't be done. So, applying the Watchtower's own logic, since the terms are not in the bible, they are not biblical teachings and therefore, they are liars and false religion.

Just because you can twist the bible to fit your theology doesn't make it true...in either case. Though I daresay that the Catholic "seminarian" is better educated than the average JW when it comes to what the bible REALLY says.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hi Poopsie!

Yeah, they love pointing fingers. They apply their double standard to every freaking thing.

NC

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hi Ladies! Happy Holidays :)

I get a little riled up when I see how blatant this stuff is spilled all over their magazines and that it took me sooooo long to see it.

Yeah Morbidzbaby - and add to that 'paradise earth', can't find that anywhere either. Oh jeez we could go on and on...

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I never even read the Bible until a year ago.....and I was a JW for 20 years. I *thought* I'd read the Bible, but now realize that they just taught me to say that. I sure read lots of jw literature though

Its funny. Once you actually READ it, you see how crazy the jdubs are

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Happy Holidays to you, too, Poopsie!

Yes, paradise earth is yet another one not found in the bible. The scriptures describing this "paradise" are, like all the others, cherry picked and mis-applied.

AwSnap, yes it's amazing the things you pick up when you read it as a BOOK, and not from the standpoint of proving doctrine. Once you start at the beginning and read it as it is written, not picking which scriptures support which theories, but reading the stories themselves, it's quite different than what we were taught to believe.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Morbidzbaby:

Yes, the hypocrisy is so thick you can choke on it. I always felt they went beyond what was written and yet they have the nerve to say other religions don't adhere to the bible.

As you said, they cherry-pick scriptures. As far as that "paradise earth" is concerned: this teaching had a lot of holes in it as far as I was concerned. I am not surprised that it isn't really directly mentioned. When I began my "fade", this teaching was the first and the easiest to get out of my head. I suppose because I never quite believed it all.

You are correct when you say a Catholic seminarian is better educated than a JW about the bible. JWs as a general rule aren't especially educated, period. JWs like to think they are bible "experts" but that is when there isn't a real expert in the room.

• AGuest
    AGuest

many of the clergy elevate the uninspired sayings of so-called Church Fathers to a plane higher than the Word of God!

Given that a lot in the Bible isn't inspired, dear PoopsieOne (the greatest of love and peace to you!)... AND whether they are or aren't, aren't the Word of God (even according to the Bible)... such a statement only shows their hypocrisy and blindness even more. It's like their comment re the "clergy of Christendom", who, in an early WT tract, they referred to as:

"A bigoted group of men who systematically endeavor to throttle all Bible teaching unless it comes through them."

Yep, that's what they published about the Catholic clergy. Page 70 of the Proclaimers' Book sets that out (for the full context, one should start reading on page 69).

Ennywho... I'm still a bit surprised that their hypocrisy, blindness, and falsehoods are still surprising.

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

It's nice that all these awesome ladies are commenting on my thread.

I just can't believe how I swallowed this line of BS for so long and yet made fun of kids who believed in Santa behind their backs....sigh....how is that weirder than believing that God wants me to only wear skirts to the meeting? And I was an adult!!! (although to be honest, I always thought that was silly but never dreamed of breaking the rule)

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It happens to the best of us, poops (my new nickname for you).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit