Best National Anthem

by Mulan 41 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Now that we've done discussing the main ones i.e. the USA and Australia, it's time for Ozzie to declare his own favourite.

And the winner is....... THE FRENCHANTHEM, The Marsellaise

I find it very moving, easy to sing along to, and I'm a born radical!!! Power to the people!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks Mulan,

I've checked the site. It's from Winton, in outback Queensland.

As you say, Waltzing Matilda is a national SONG, much like Land of Hope and Glory is for the poms and you guys have yours too.

Note these quotes from the site:

Waltzing Matilda is played wherever patriotic pride is stirred - to farewell our troops to war or to welcome them home, to celebrate sporting achievements and to show solidarity as a nation.
    Waltzing Matilda has been Australia's unofficial national anthem since the 1915 Gallipoli campaign, when it was a favourite song sung by the ANZACS troops.
    I've highlighted the key words.

Despite its popularity, and the desire of many to adopt it, Waltzing Matilda has NEVER been our national anthem.

BTW the poms may recall that a version of it was sung by Frank Ifield in the 1960s and became 'Top of the Pops'. From what I recall it was many weeks at No. 1.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Mulan
    Mulan

I did a little poll of my own, and asked a few people if they remembered what song was played at the Olympics when Australia won Gold, and they all said it was Waltzing Matilda, until the last few times, when they got a different song.

It was probably used (as I said before) because they had the same song as Britain. Since it was an unofficial anthem, they would use it because it was so "Australian". I remember when the song was a pop song. I was still in school.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• r51785
    r51785

Whatever happened to Deustchland Uber Alles? Do the Germans still use that one?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I agree about the French National Anthem.

However, if Charles III has his way (when he becomes King), it will change, as the United Kingdom will change its National Anthem to 'Land of Hope and Glory', which is great.

My parent grew up in the war; I remember being at an outdoor concert with them where the orchestra played it; they almost burst with the effort of not joining in.

They also played 'Rule Britannia', which is the best Nationalistic song, even if it's a bit past its sell-by date. 'Jeruslaem' is perhaps the most musically compelling Nationalistic song I can think of; most are very 'la la la la', but 'Jerusalem' has a wonderful melody without lyrics/

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well, I aint read the thread, too long.
    But I will say this.The best FLAG in the world is,hands down, the old "Stars and Stripes".
    Great flag.

Waltzing Matilda was NEVER the national anthem of Australia by the way. But why listen to us? We only live here....

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

Refiners,

one has to wonder why you tell us of your favorite flag when the question pertains to national anthems? Perhaps reading at least the title of the topic would be in order?

Just busting your chops!

Sean

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    Whatever happened to Deustchland Uber Alles? Do the Germans still use that one?

The text is authored by Hoffmann von Fallersleben and has three verses. The first line is "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" which means "Germany is supreme". Von Fallersleben meant that it is supreme to him against all other things in his life. But from 1933-1945 it was sung with the idea that Germany was supreme to all other nations.

Because the text was misapplied by the Nazis, in 1952 only the third vers was announced to be National anthem.

Actually, in Germany you are not allowed to sing the first vers.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I think that this looks rather nice....

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

• cynicus
    cynicus

The French hymn is great, but ex aequo with the Italian. Germany strong on third, and (sorry Mulan) Russia definitely on fourth.

http://www.national-anthems.net/

---
    Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit