His Reaction vs. My Reaction

by AGuest 10 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace!

My husband thought I should post this and I thought, you know, not a bad idea. So, we're sitting in the telly room together, relaxing before our journey (to see the [adult] kids tomorrow. I'm "researching" "stuff" on the web; he's watching the telly. A few minutes ago a commercial for a cake baking contest-type show came on. A woman and what appears to be her "helper" were rushing around as well as talking and she calmly says to him, "Don't worry about the head, I got it; just take care of the body." The man literally ignored her. He then goes on the say something about their time and what needs to be done to head. She says to him, again, in a calm, quiet voice: "Don't worry about the head, just take care of the body." He then says something else about what the head "needs"... and the woman literally popped a cork. She leans toward him and screams at him, "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE HEAD; WORRY ABOUT THE BODY!!"

At that, my husband jumped and said, "Man!"

So, I asked him, "Man... what?" because I KNEW the woman's yelling go to him. Which will lead "somewhere" in a sec. Bear with me, please.

He says [something to the effect of] "She didn't have to scream like that."

Now, my husband is probably one of the quiestest people I've ever met. I don't scream, however, and never have (never really raised my voice except once when my puppy got off her leash and ran into the street). And I get that loud voices might offend him... and others. They can offend me (my Lord KNOWS I "hate" when a bunch of... ummmmm... shall we say "ethnic" women get together and talk like they're standing across the room from one another - literally makes my teeth stand on edge!). But I wasn't quite "getting" why THIS time (well, I was... but I think he was out of line). So I asked him:

"Her yelling offended you, did it?" to which he replied, "Yeah, it did. I thought, man, 'Shut the F up!" (He's quiet in speech, a man of little words... but, hoo-boy, if you ask him, you'll find there's a LOT of "noise" going on inside that head, lemme tell you...).

Anyway, I thought this was quite interesting because in MY mind, I was going: "Did he just ignore her? Hey, didn't you just hear what she said? Ummmm... you're not listening; she said it again." So, when she finally screamed at him, I thought, "Dang. Too bad. But I guess that's what it took [for him]." And apparently it did... because he went right off to "worry about the body."

So, I asked my husband, "But wasn't his ignoring her offensive? Shouldn't it have been? I mean, she told him, calmly, THREE times... and each time he acted like he didn't hear her. I heard her... and I'm not even there... " to which he replied, "Yeah, I guess so." So I pushed on:

"So, the way I see it, he gave her NO choice but to yell at him... because he really wasn't trying to hear her otherwise."

He goes, "Well, now that you put it that way, I can see that." To which I said:

"It IS sad that she had to yell, but the clock was ticking he was refusing to listen. Why do people NEED to be yelled at... BEFORE they will listen? As the one trying to get their attention, THAT would offend ME... their making me HAVE to yell in order for them to hear. When they could have listened when I was speaking softly, calmly."

To which he said, "You're right. I get it. I would be offended to, if I kept talking to someone and they kept ignoring until I HAD to yell at them, yes." Then he said, "Maybe you should post this."

Which is why I have, just now.

Just sharing... waiting for tomorrow. Again, peace to you all... and HAPPY whatever it is YOU "celebrate" and are "happy" about! Today, tomorrow, and forever!

SA, on her own...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I can see both sides of this. I don't like being yelled at any more than I like being told what to do. On the other side of the coin, if I started yelling every time I was ignored I'd be ready for my 10th throat transplant by now.

W

• N.drew
    N.drew

Hahaha!! Let's bake a cake with a head and a body...

Thanks for sharing.

If he won't listen to ya talk he won't listen to you yell, that's what I have found. He wasn't listening..he was scared, of the producer. I'm sure of it!!

• AGuest
    AGuest

I agree with you both, dear FF and N.Drew (peace to you, both!); however, I was thinking she shouldn't have had to yell to be heard. Indeed, if she was someone he WANTED to hear from... she could have whispered and had his full attention. More often than not people do... and hear... what they want to... and don't... what they DON'T want to. See? (SA smiles "sweetly"...)

Peace!

SA, on her own...

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Don't worry about the head, just take care of the body."

Thought for sure the rest of your post was going to be of a sexual nature . . . .

• Lore
    Lore
    A few minutes ago a commercial for a cake baking contest-type show came on.

Ummm, a what now?

I seriously had to read your entire post twice to understand that sentence. . . it's literally a contest show where the point is to bake cakes? What the heck?

• AGuest
    AGuest
    it's literally a contest show where the point is to bake cakes?

Yep, dear Lore (peace to you!). There's at least one or two about about cupcakes, too! The Food Network... Bravo... and I think the Cooking Channel all have these "chef/baker/cook" type competitive shows.

Thought for sure the rest of your post was going to be of a sexual nature . . . .

Oooh, Miz Shirley (peace, chile!). Girl, now you know I'm a PG-rated kinda girl (on the board - )! LOLOLOLOL!

Peace, ya'll!

SA, on her own...

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Ummm. A suggestion, AGuest?

What's wrong in both cases (the one on the show and your husband's comments) is what is known as a "one track mind". For instance, your husband was engrossed in the telly, and when the commercial for the cake baking program came on, he wasn't interested, so everything being said went in one ear and out the other. He tuned it out. As a result, nothing registered until the yelling began. That resulted in a one-sided opinion.

Now, what the gal on the telly should have done instead of yelling, was that she should have stood up straight and done a very exaggerated shimmy. That would have gotten everybody's attention! Then she could have said, calmly and all ladylike, "Now that I have your attention, don't worry about the head, I got it; just take care of the body." Point made, and problem solved.

It's fun solving problems. All it takes is a little imagination. Try it sometime. Your husband will appreciate it.

Tom

• AGuest
    AGuest
    what the gal on the telly should have done instead of yelling, was that she should have stood up straight and done a very exaggerated shimmy. That would have gotten everybody's attention!

Sorry, dear LW (peace to you!), but I'm not sure I can agree. Sure, that would get "everybody's" attention... but why should a woman have to do anything more than SPEAK? What, pray tell, would you have suggested if it were a man being ignored? Drop and "give us ten"? I am confused because the adominishments I hear people saying all the time is NOT that we have to do things to be heard... and certainly not that a woman should use her "womanly wiles" (to the contrary, actually)... but that we have to learn to LISTEN... something most humans truly do NOT know how to DO! Heck, we barely listen to one another... even those we LOVE... let alone God.

And that really is the problem... between humans... and between humans and God: folks don't want/know how to LISTEN. Without being yelled at, hit, beaten... heck, having bombs dropped on them! Something "awful" seems to always have to happen before humans LISTEN. For some, it might take fire coming down from "heaven"! I'm thinking it'll be too late, then, though.

Try it sometime. Your husband will appreciate it.

Ummmm... I don't think my husband translates my "shimmying" into "I take care of the head, you worry about the..."... well, now, wait a minute - . Okay, I don't think he'd translate it into "help me finish this cake!" From what I know of him... and he of me... he'd take an entirely different "meaning" from it, if you know what I mean.

No, sorry, luv - a woman doing a shimmy might have gotten my attention, yes... but not for the reason you suggest. I certainly doubt it would have compelled me to listen to her. I personally would have thought, "Really, girl? You're going there to get attention? Ewwwww..." and considered her as someone who didn't know how to "use [her] words." While her husband (and a few randy men... and/or women) might appreciate it, I personally wouldn't have a lot of regard for her under such circumstances, truly.

Again, peace to you!

SA, on her own...

• jay88
    jay88

And that really is the problem... between humans... and between humans and God: folks don't want/know how to LISTEN. Without being yelled at, hit, beaten... heck, having bombs dropped on them! Something "awful" seems to always have to happen before humans LISTEN. For some, it might take fire coming down from "heaven"! I'm thinking it'll be too late, then, though.

Ha, Ha,.....Aguest made a funny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit