Some people just "need" religion...

by OneDayillBeFree 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Giordano
    Giordano

Yes he was right, many people need religion. For many life without belief is scary. So mankind has made up their gods which always fit perfectly into the culture that makes them up. It's easier to believe in a made up god then study science or math. Easier to accept with blind faith that the bible is inspired of god and all of the malarkey in it is beneficial. According to a Gallup pole 53% of Americans are creationists, 31% believe that evolution has been guided by god.

• jj123jj123
    jj123jj123

I read this interesting article online yesterday

"Many say 'So What? to God, Religion, Atheism"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-25/religion-god-atheism-so-what/52195274/1

• TheWanderer
    TheWanderer

Its unfortunately true. Part of that is created by the society we live in, sadly, a belief structure carried over from times medieval and further back... superstitions and fears of not having divine guidance to lead them to the right path.

I've come to believe that religion can be a lighthouse... a way to find a connection with the divine with man's help. Unfortunately, all too often, men corrupt the system and use it for power and control. Or take the easy way out... as someone once said "God said 'love thy neighbor', but that's hard to do, so people try to just 'hate evil' instead. Then they make excuses on why they should be allowed to hate."

Sadly, none of it is truly God's will... and to be blunt, I see JWs ...and to be fair, a LOT of modern-day religion... as just the Pharisees of this day and age.

....though the OP does make me chuckle, as he was told 'You seem like a smart man', which basically means he was in contrast to the elder, who did NOT appear to be a smart man, haha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit