Is this HARD evidence that the INTERNET is hurting the Watch Tower Society?

by cedars 87 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• james_woods
    james_woods

I appreciate the work, but I am not sure that a logical corelation can be proven. Probably a similar set of graphs could be made for these countries using data for indoor plumbing, or private car ownership.

What we can say is that the WT recruitment is UP in third world countries, and DOWN in advanced nations.

However, isn't it true that in the U.S., growth is mainly in hispanic congregations, not in english speaking areas? And yet, everybody here has pretty much the same access to the internet...

But yes - I really think (just as an opinion) that the internet cannot help but be hurting JW recruiting where it is available.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Logically this should be the case and when the numbers support it you do indeed have some hard evidence here. It is proof that information, or truth, is the Watchtower's greatest foe. Thank you Cedars for this it is much appreciated.

-Sab

• cedars
    cedars

James Woods

I appreciate the work, but I am not sure that a logical corelation can be proven. Probably a similar set of graphs could be made for these countries using data for indoor plumbing, or private car ownership.

Yes, I see where you're coming from, and I've wrestled with that thought myself. However, bear in mind that these figures are grouped strictly according to internet usage, and nothing else (such as GDP of the country, etc). It's easy to argue that there are many factors involved in why the Society is struggling in more developed countries, but I believe these figures do show a definite correlation.

Cedars

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

Cedars you have an email.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks SIAM - I've just emailed you the spreadsheet!

Cedars

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

...in the U.S., growth is mainly in hispanic congregations, not in english speaking areas? And yet, everybody here has pretty much the same access to the internet...

There may be some cultural differences at work here too. There are many economic and social groups within the U.S. I wonder what the internet penetration is among Hispanics.

Also, in my limited experience, Hispanics as a group are very submissive to, and respectful of, authority. For those who are already JWs, if the Society says 'stay off the internet,' they are likely to comply, the result being fewer defectors from the Watchtower. If the number of defectors eventually increases, the number of new ones coming will likely decline as well.

This is the cause and effect the Society is fighting so hard against. (The cause: people becoming informed via the internet, and many leaving the Org. The effect: Less people to declare their message, less zeal among those left in, resulting in lower increases.)

• Terry
    Terry

I'd like to see a chart demonstrating which religious groups are growing and how much compared to last years numbers as a control.

Which religion is the most likely "loser" for converts.

If you compare, say, disfellowshipped JW's to incoming that would be an interesting number too, I'm sure.

The most interesting data would demonstrate the age of the convert.

• cedars
    cedars

I'd like to see a chart demonstrating which religious groups are growing and how much compared to last years numbers as a control.

Yes, Terry - comparisons are always helpful. The only problem is, I very much doubt there is any other religion in the world that is as fastidious about keeping annual figures as are the Witnesses. If somebody could fetch me similar country-by-country stats for, say, the Mormons - I would happily run a comparison.

Cedars

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Yes, I see where you're coming from, and I've wrestled with that thought myself. However, bear in mind that these figures are grouped strictly according to internet usage, and nothing else (such as GDP of the country, etc). It's easy to argue that there are many factors involved in why the Society is struggling in more developed countries, but I believe these figures do show a definite correlation.

Cedars, actually I do believe your hypothesis - was just saying that while the data show a correlation, it is not necessarily a proof of it.

I was reminded of the spoof "proof" that storks bring babies: European stork populations and European birth rates are both down, so that proved that babies are brought to the mother's houses by storks.

James

• cedars
    cedars

James Woods

I was reminded of the spoof "proof" that storks bring babies: European stork populations and European birth rates are both down, so that proved that babies are brought to the mother's houses by storks.

Haha, that's an interesting way of looking at it! I guess that's the reason why I've done 10 groups of varying internet penetrations rather than the 4 I did last time. To bring in your stork analogy, if you correlated the data of 206 countries around the world against their respective stork populations, and each of the 10 groups showed a steady increase in storks against a steady increase in babies - you probably would have to regard it as some kind of evidence of the above!

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit