Only JWs Can Understand The Bible

by leavingwt 36 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

According to the July 1, 1973 Watchtower magazine, only the Watchtower organization can understand the deep meaning of the Scriptures. It remains a "sealed book" to everyone else.

As ex-members, it's easy to recognize such a statement for how ridiculous it truly is. It now seems unimaginable that we really believed that a dozen or so men in New York were granted special powers from God, allowing them alone to interpret Scripture.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Can I ask you soemthing though?

Why DID you beleive that was the case?

And by You and don't just mean you personally but JW's in general.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I wanted to believe it. So I did for a time until I had real evidence that they 1. didn't have special insight and 2. weren't looking for special insight.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

PSacramento: Robert J. Lifton provides the best answer to your question, IMHO.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Wow, that is something....

It amazes me sometimes how you "born in's" manage to break those schackles.

You should be very proud of yourselves.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Why DID you beleive that was the case?

I'm frequently astounded how few people on this site have any understanding of the indoctrination and conversion process. There's a huge gulf between those who actually believed and those who didn't.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Mike,

Yes, indeed, I was not converted or indoctrinated, though I had the same studies that my family members ( Mother, father and older sister) that were had and they motivated me to test and question the JW doctrine as much ( if not more so) as the doctrines that they ( the Jw's ) told me to question.

My wife says I am adopted, LOL !

• blondie
    blondie

Even jws can only understand through the FDS

w94 10/1 p. 8 The Bible--A Book Meant to Be Understood ***

Even as Bible prophecy pointed forward to the Messiah, it also directs us to the close-knit body of anointed Christian Witnesses that now serve as the faithful and discreet slave. It helps us to understand the Word of God. All who want to understand the Bible should appreciate that the "greatly diversified wisdom of God" can become known only through Jehovah's channel of communication, the faithful and discreet slave.--John 6:68.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"The point is that Christians have implicit trust in their heavenly Father; they do not question what he tells them through his written Word and organization." Watchtower 1974 July 15 p.441

"Today, Jehovah provides instruction by means of "the faithful steward." (Luke 12:42)" Pay Attention to Yourself and to All The Flock p.13

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Russell: "Then I knew why the Lord had led me to it so slowly and cautiously. I needed a special preparation of heart for the full appreciation of all it contained, and I was all the more assured that it was not of my own wisdom; for if of my own why would it not have come at once?" Zion's Watch Tower 1906 Jul 15 p.234

Rutherford: "Enlightenment proceeds from Jehovah... and is given to the faithful anointed.... the remnant are instructed by the angels of the Lord. The remnant do not hear audible sounds, because such is not necessary. Jehovah has provided his own good way to convey thoughts to the minds of his anointed ones." Preparation p.64

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit