Thanking God For Food?

by dontplaceliterature 24 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Have you ever considered the fact that by implication, when we thank God for food (if you do), we are also saying that he is responsible for the lack of food in the case of others who are not as fortunate as we are? If you are acknowledging that it is God who is responsible for your physical well-being, and that you don't have plenty because of your own sensibility and hard work, then what about those who are not physically well? What about those who do not have enough to eat? Isn't he responsible for their lack? Can he only take credit for the good, and not the bad if he is in control of these types of things?

If he isn't in control of them, why then give him thanks for food?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Further, starvation is a walk in the park, compared to those who are predestined to be tormented in Hell for eternity.

• simon17
    simon17

I rememeber a few years actually listening to prayers (others and my own) and about 90% of the the things said in prayers are pure nonsense if you think about it. The other standbys: "Please watch over the brothers worldwide", "Please be with xxxxx dealing with xxxxxx". THink about these things for a sec. Does God need our prayers to watch over his servants? If he did, that would be ridiculous, if there was some critical mass of prayers before God decides to help a brother out. And if not, there is no need to ask God to do something that will be done either way, based on its natural goodness. "Bless out efforts in the ministry." What? Does our prayers make God allow the people to listen to us? Is their free will determined by our praying for our own success in communicating the message? Nonsense.

• designs
    designs

Simon-

If you don't ask him he won't.....

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Imagine if we woke up this morning with only what we thanked God for yesterday.

Someone wrote:

"I'd be naked with a Big Mack and fries on my lap."

How about us (rhetorical ?) What are we doing to alleviate poverty?

I remember reading about a revelation a Christian author had while sitting in a bus. Seeing a very pregnant lady standing in obvious discomfort he began praying that someone would get up and give her a seat. He writes: "Suddenly I realized that I was sitting on the answer to my prayer."

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh thank you Lord, for providing me with 6 tacos with extra sauce and jalepenos instead of providing those starving children in Africa with 2 day's worth of rice. Thank you for hearing my prayers and ignoring theirs.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi NC,

<<Oh thank you Lord, for providing me with 6 tacos with extra sauce and jalepenos instead of providing those starving children in Africa with 2 day's worth of rice. Thank you for hearing my prayers and ignoring theirs. >>

I don't believe it is God's fault that people go hungry in Africa. He created a world that can sustain everyone.

• cofty
    cofty

OP is spot on, its a point I have ranted about before. It is impossible to answer your objection honestly.

Vanderhoven you have changed the question. If god provided your food why does he make it impossible for some coutries to grow enough to feed themselves. The logistical challenge of feeding all the starving is of nightmare proportions. It would be childs play for god to at least give Africa a decent harvest. You are being grossly disingenuous.

• cofty
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

<<If god provided your food why does he make it impossible for some coutries to grow enough to feed themselves.>>

To avoid his personal sacrifice, that Christian author could have kept his own seat and asked why god didn't make it possible for that pregnant lady to find her own seat?

Man, not God, is responsible for starvation anywhere in our world.

Now since you don't believe in god, who then do you blame for the starving children in Africa?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit