Why Does God Have an Organization?--Article in the Public Edition--Feb. 1, 2012 Watchtower!

by sd-7 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I'm very surprised to see an article like this in the Public Edition of The Watchtower. It seems as though they are specifically trying to address the ex-JW criticisms, though of course, in their own limited way.

Lies abound. Page 26: "Jesus organized his followers to witness about Jehovah and to make disciples in all nations." Jesus told his followers to make disciples and to teach them all the things he had commanded, but he did not say to them "witness about Jehovah". Jesus told them, "You will be witnesses of ME." (Acts 1:8) The divine name was NOT a part of the message of the good news, as nobody was making a big deal about it back then. Only Jehovah's Witnesses make it into an issue, because it's their brand name and they need to deemphasize Jesus and emphasize the Governing Body's ideas.

Page 27: "The modern-day organization of Jehovah's Witnesses began in the 1870's. A small group of Bible students began rediscovering long-forgotten Bible truths. They knew Jesus organized the Christian congregation to preach."

Okay, first off, they were called Bible Students until 1931. Second, they "discovered" quite a lot of things that the Second Adventists were already teaching, and "discovered" a lot of [ahem] "truths" that they now very much wish to forget (and a huge portion of what they taught then would qualify as long-forgotten Bible falsehoods). And they were preaching AGAINST organization as late as 1929 (see January 1, 1929 issue of The Watchtower for a pretty scathing denunciation of the concept!).

Well, I'd get into the Acts 20:20 thing, but...I think this Public Edition is starting to make me wonder. Are they trying to fight back against the ex-JW stuff that's out there? Intriguing. Much of this stuff seems to be written for Witnesses, not for the public. Like that article about adolescents questioning their faith--why would they put that in the hands of the public? Things are getting weirder by the second. I cringe to see what the Study Edition will be--should be out by tomorrow, I would guess...Any thoughts?

--sd-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Okay, to their credit, they do mention "a small group of Bible students". No mention of Russell; I'm wondering if they really do want to distance themselves from him after all. Well, he is on the cover of that 'Out of Darkness' DVD, so perhaps not.

--sd-7

• N.drew
    N.drew

I don't understand. Your second paragraph above is what? Your thoughts, or the Watchtower?

• jay88
    jay88

Why Does the Question Imply that God Has an Organization?

• moshe
    moshe

Doubts about the WT org are getting harder for JWs to ignore.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Your second paragraph above is what? Your thoughts, or the Watchtower?

Sorry, N.drew, this part is the actual quote from the article:

Page 26: "Jesus organized his followers to witness about Jehovah and to make disciples in all nations."

I kind of harp on that phrase, but I should've separated the quote out from my thoughts.

--sd-7

• steve2
    steve2

Why work yourself into a lather over what JWs always do in their publications? Give simple answers to misleading questions.

• No Room For George
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

I guess they feel 'safe' putting this in the 'public edition' (TM) as it isn't vitriolic and too hate filled.

They react to the chat on ex-JW forums all the time. Hence the article in the '60's stating to 'hate the person' they recently stated (I think in the public edition (TM) ), that 'christians' SHOULDN'T (note the wording) 'hate the person'.

The 'hate the person' thing has been mentioned many times to expose the cult for the filth that it is. No surprise they alter their stance without apologising for what they said in the past.

The 'organization' thing is them reacting and being defensive again. As you say to defend their brand name. They need to convince the public that god has an 'organization' (TM) and then bait them into it.

Too little too late in my opinion. But what would I know I'm an anarchic punk rocker!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It makes the religion look safe. You read this washtowel, and supposedly think that it is God's true religion. Never mind that the whole rubbish about it starting in 1872 is only the final capstone. The religion itself did start in 1872, but it was an answer to an argument that was really going on since the 1830s and early 1840s. Someone declared that it was 1874, and that was the beginning of the religion that was to become Jehovah's Witlesses.

Also, they misquoted the Bible, twisting Jesus' words to make it seem like the witlesses are a continuation of the organization Jesus supposedly started. First, Jesus didn't start any organization, it was Paul that first organized Christianity. Jesus merely tried to get people awake to the corruption of established religion, and spread the message that this corruption would not be tolerated. And, if there really was an organization, why wouldn't it be Jesus' witnesses instead of Jehovah's? That would actually be that much easier to justify based on that scripture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit