Rutherford era, view of marriage not sacred cuz Superior Authorities said so

by FatFreek 2005 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Several days ago a poster cited the fact that Rutherford had several women (though not at the same time) living with him at Beth Sarim. That it was well known and winked at during those years. That his view -- and the view of Bible Students of that time -- of marriage was negative because the Superior Authorities were in charge. Governments made that law and they are wicked.

This is hard for me to swallow. It's hard for me to believe that Watchtower would have ever come across as anti-marriage in its pages.

Anyone with facts about this.

Len

• St George of England
    St George of England

During the 1940's people were discouraged from getting married and having children. One publication, I think it was the Paradise book (Van Hamburghs version) that said young people should wait for 'a few months till after Armageddon' before getting married.

Rutherford's book 'Children' discouraged having children. This extract from Chapter 10:

Should men and women, both of whom are Jonadabs or "other sheep" of the Lord, now marry before Armageddon and bring forth children? They may choose to do so, but the admonition or advice of the Scriptures appears to be against it. Being married before Armageddon and both continuing faithful and surviving Armageddon, their marital relationship shall continue and persist after Armageddon. They receive their right to life everlasting after Armageddon, and after receiving that right to life their children then born would be born in righteousness. Children born before Armageddon of parents who had not received the right to life would not be born with the right to life, but would have the privilege of choosing to serve God and Christ and live if they prove their integrity. Otherwise stated, each one must individually choose and individually be tested.

The prophetic picture seems to set forth the correct rule, to wit: The three sons of Noah and their wives were in the ark and were saved from the flood. They did not have any children, however, until after the flood. They began to have children two years after the flood. (Genesis 11:10,11) No children were taken into the ark and none were born in the ark, and hence none were brought out of the ark. Only eight persons went in and eight came out of the ark. (1 Peter 3:20; Genesis 8:18) That would appear to indicate it would be proper that those who will form the "great multitude" should wait until after Armageddon to bring children into the world.

It is only a few years from the time the "other sheep" are gathered to the Lord until Armageddon. That entire period is a time of much tribulation, concluding with the greatest tribulation the world will ever have known. Speaking of that very time, Jesus says: "Woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!" — Matthew 24:19, 21.

That would seem to mean that those who would have infants during Armageddon would suffer much greater woe because of their care of the same. It is a great responsibility to rear children and care for them now, and it would be far greater difficulty to care for them during the time of the great tribulation upon the earth. Jonadabs, or "other sheep" of the Lord, who are now married and have children are blessed with the great opportunity and the obligation to teach their children the Word of God and to show them the necessity of choosing the Lord and taking their stand on the side of THE THEOCRACY and being fully obedient and loyal to the Kingdom. There is but one possible way their children can find protection and blessing, and that is by choosing the Lord and fleeing to the Lord and serving him. Each one must choose for himself.

George

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know Wt literature but my mom and dad married during this time. Marriage was mocked. Mostly, b/c the end was near and it took energy away from FS. My father and uncle left Bethel to marry which made it worse. My mom and dad set up shop in the NJ suburbs, a very nice NJ suburb. They were ostracized and criticized for being weak. My father refused to give my mom a wedding ring. She had to purchase her own. This was a mainstream KH.

Bethelites who left for marriage were targets until Knorr decided to marry. Suddenly, marriage was respectable.I was a normal kid and imagined that my beautiful mom married sort of as in Cinderella with a big wedding gown and plenty of fresh flowers. Her respectable father walked her down the aisle. I actually cried when I found the truth. Her wedding dress had a scottie dog motif.

Imagine a young couple starting out on their own under those circumstances.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

When Rutherford came out in 1919 with the statement that his organization (WTS.) which he was the president and lead executive editor of,

was god's solemnly chosen organization, this really mentally started to self enhance a grandiose beguiling identity.

Mankind's personal Saviour who had information which could save your life from annihilation at Armageddon.

All of this accumulative power over mankind was gifted directly to him. This all encompassing power established some very weird

and obsessed pronouncements upon people whom he was able to lure and mentally captivate.

Drunk on booze and power Rutherford was on his own personal agenda to get as many people as he could to work within

the organization for exploitation purposes, either in the manufacturing of printing his works or distributing his publications door to door.

Marriages by his devoted working ones was seen as deterrent to those expressed agendas.

Saying that ones should not get married or have children also heighten the fear factor that yes Armageddon was to happen soon

and it would be better to wait until the new order. Unfortunately some people did just that, they didn't marry or start a family, only to regrettably

live out their older years impoverished and alone. In other words the lies and corruption of this religious cult stuck it

to them and stuck it to them good.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    *** w35 3/1 pp. 76-77 Questions ***
    Looseness of morals is also quite noticeable. The thought has been prevalent amongst some that it is unnecessary for Jehovah's witnesses to go through the form of marriage prescribed by the State, and some have lived as man and wife without subscribing to the legal requirements, claiming their authority for so doing to be the article on marriage in the Home and Happiness booklet. When one of Jehovah's witnesses considers marriage, should he not meet the legal requirements, as long as they do not conflict with God's law?
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

My parents were married in the mid 40's. They were both reg pioneers. ON their wedding day they put on their service clothes, went to the justice of the peace, got married without any friends or family present, had lunch, made some "back calls" and showed up for a study they had with an elderly lady. The lady sent them home when she found out it was their wedding day!

Like BOTR' parents there were no rings exchanged. After a number of incidents with men "hitting" on my mother my dad bought her a wedding band. After Knorr married, mom received a diamond ring.

After 9 yr of contunious pioneering and special pioneering, mom wanted a child. When the "friends" learned she was expecting, she got many snide comments. For quite some time I was the only young child in our cong. I was the only Witness in the various schools I attended until 7th grade.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wonder if couples throughout JW land broke out in song when KNorr married. Oh, I was the only JW kid in school until seventh grade, too. I was used to my freedom without spies. I wanted a JW friend so badly. or so I thought.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Judge J Rutherford found the power and control that he opportunistically sought in being the president of the Watchtower Corporation.

This lack of respect for any other outside governing institution of the land , including any other religious organizations, helped to support his own

personal identity of himself and the organization which he aggressively obtained.

He purposely set about shining a bright luminous light upon himself and the WTS. organization, well at the same time demeaning

and demonetizing other government arrangements, which he had no control over, thats called loading the deck so that you cant lose

but always end up wining.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I heard something a while back (I get the feeling it was a post by Jim Penton somewhere else, but I could be wrong) to the effect that, at one time the Society tolerated 'common law' marriages under certain circumstances because the only way a couple could become legally married in their locality was to be married in a church by a priest or minister - and that was a no-no! Can anyone confirm that was the case?

• clarity
    clarity

The watchtower study 1961, had a question along the lines of ..."should we be using our time to have children today?"

A sister answered, " NO, we should be spending all our time in service!"

Funny 'cause she knew she was preggers at the time!

>

Why did the Society discourage Jehovah’s Witnesses from bearing children in 1938?

“…it would therefore appear that there is no reasonable or Scriptural injunction to bring children into the world immediately before Armageddon, where we now are.”—The Watchtower, November 1, 1938, p. 32

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit