Examples of Bias/Discrepancies in the New World Translation

by Londo111 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Agreed. I'll wait for that Daniel thread. Daniel is a certain favorite of mine. In the main I follow the aim and methodology of Keil & Delitzsch: “In the great multiplicity of opinions, in order to give clearness to the interpretation, we shall endeavour first of all to ascertain the meaning of the words of each clause and verse, and then, after determining exegetically the import of the words, take into consideration the historical references and calc ulations of the periods of time named, and thus further to establish our view.”

C. F. Keil & F. Delitzsch, Commentary on the Old Testament. Vol. 9, p. 716 (Dan. 9:24–27). Peabody, MA: Hendrickson.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I looked foward to reading the Daniel thread. I haven't made up my mind yet, my gut keeps leaning toward a Maccabean origin. Nevertheless, I will keep an open mind.

BTW--I am so glad everyone moved past Hebrews 1:8! I've never seen such commentary about a single verse in my life!

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Here is another discrepancy. The JWs misstate the relationship between Isaac and Abraham, referring to him as the "only-begotten son" in a procreative sense in attempting to prove that the Word was created, not unoriginated. But because of Ishmael, that term must mean that it applied to Isaac in a religious, legalistic and figurative connotation as he was a legitimate son; it refers to a non-biological, non-procreative relationship just as Trinitarians teach with respect to the Word.

The Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus was “begotten” in the sense that he was created or born, which is not a Christian Trinitarian teaching. The Jehovah's Witnesses write:

Trinitarians claim that in the case of Jesus, “only-begotten” is not the same as the dictionary definition of “begetting,” which is to “procreate as the father.” (Webster’s Ninth Collegiate Dictionary) They say that in Jesus’ case it means “the sense of unoriginated relationship,” a sort of only son relationship without the begetting. (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words) Does that sound logical to you? Can a man father a son without begetting him?

Furthermore, why does the Bible use the very same Greek word for “only-begotten” (as Vine admits without any explanation) to describe the relationship of Isaac to Abraham? Hebrews 11:17 speaks of Isaac as Abraham’s “only-begotten son.” There can be no question that in Isaac’s case, he was only-begotten in the normal sense, not equal in time or position to his father. (Should You Believe, Chapter 6)

Actually, Strong and Vine’s does in fact explain why the very same Greek word for “only-begotten” (monogeneses) is used to describe the relationship of Isaac to Abraham, and how “only-begotten” is used with respect to Isaac at Hebrews 11:17 as subsequently explained in this article.

One major weakness in the Jehovah's Witnesses’ argument lies in the fact that Isaac was not an "only-begotten" son in the natural procreative sense since Abraham actually had another son, Ishmael, (and others after Ishmael) who was born before Isaac (Genesis 16:15), so the Jehovah's Witnesses’ reliance on that verse is unfounded. Because Abraham had no less than two sons, “only-begotten” cannot be applied to Isaac as an “only-begotten son,” in the procreative sense because he wasn’t. It applied to him in a religious, legalistic and figurative connotation as he was the only legitimate son; it refers to a non-biological relationship just as Trinitarians teach with respect to the Word.

http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-6.html

• designs
    designs

How will fixing a word here or there in the New Testament even begin to address the slaughter and enslavement of the hundres of millions of humans caused by this horrendous piece of literature.

When will the Age of Christian Tyranny end.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

How will fixing a word here or there in the New Testament even begin to address the slaughter and enslavement of the hundres of millions of humans caused by this horrendous piece of literature.

When will the Age of Christian Tyranny end.

Jesus never tyrannized anyone.

"No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

• designs
    designs

jd- Your mental blinders are not surprising. Your precious Jesus said in plain words that he would come back and send all who oppose him to eternal punishment, read your damn Gospels.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Designs, are you sure you are understanding what the scripture says Jesus said correctly?

• designs
    designs

n.drew- Point being regarding all translations including the NWT is go ahead and fix them up the way you think ancient texts read and you still have the same sociopathic message from a human who thought he was God and tells us he's coming back to wreck havoc on the human race. Matthew 25.

Our former religion in all of its wackiness and low christology and the biases of the NWT somehow managed to conclude that going to War is wrong, but they still managed to hold on to the Final Judgement ideas. Christianity with its prefered translations managed to go to War with Glee and hold onto Jesus threats of Eternal Punishment. So whether you 'worship' Jesus or 'do obesence' to Jesus you still have the central philosophy of tyranny.

As Shakespeare said 'A Pox on both Houses' but you see the point.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Both religious and nonreligious, both Christian and non-Christian people can be dogmatic about their ideology--this is part of the human condition. However, this contributes nothing constructive to the topic at hand. It is easy enough to create a separate thread to bash these issues out.

• designs
    designs

Londo111- point taken and I'll let it be, but why is it even important to fix a modern translation when the ancient NT texts with their sociopathic message are the problem. You can't go back and change them and that's the core of the unfixable problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit