JW is union member for years....?

by blondie 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My father met Joe Lewis organizing the coal miners when he was young. He was union all the way. It is something to visit a company town b/c it is so unlike a Northeastern union. It struck me as a church. The union leaders visited me personally just b/c I was a visiting little girl. He was a union delegate -- a covert one. Do as I say but not as I do. Personally, I feel if he could be a union member, an active one, his mood would have been better than conforming himself to a religion he did not truly believe.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Their was nothing wrong as far as I know with being a union member and Jw.I was both in my 33 yrs as a witness

smiddy

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The WT is LONG overdue for an article on unions then.

Is it wise for them to put their trust in a human organization to keep employment instead of the universal employer and provider?

Would not putting those membership fees towards kingdom interests be much better spiritual and physical security?

Being in unions is the equivelent of putting their trust in the United Nations and the wild beast, instead of for world security for personal security.

SD-7 - wanna make a WT article on that one? :)

• AGuest
    AGuest

I asked about this some years ago, dear Blondie (peace to you!), because I learned one of the elders was in a union (Price Club, now Costco). He said, as dear truthBK (peace to you!) stated, that some jobs require it. What many do is decline to take the union "oath." That's what I did when I drove transit buses for Sacramento Regional Transit for a short while back in the 90's. They didn't make me raise my hand or swear, but gave me a form setting forth the "oath" and told me to write, in my own hand, "for religious purposes, I cannot, in good conscience, agree to the oath; however, I will perform my job as agreed at all times." That was all the union required and I was in.

I believe that Fair Employment laws prohibit them from denying someone a union job just because they won't take the oath for religious purposes.*

I hope that helps and, again, peace to you!

SA... eyes nervously searching the sky for flying attorneys... on her own...

*Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and any information that I've shared on this matter is just that, information, and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion. Any actions that you may take as a result is your own decision, therefore, and I am not responsible for any outcomes. For a complete analysis of Fair Employment laws and/or questions as to any rights you might have thereunder, please consult an attorney.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Many Witnesses I know work in trades where union membership is required: grocery store clerks, electricians, truck drivers, etc. If they work in a "closed shop" where joining the union is a condition of employment, that can hardly be held against them.

• blondie
    blondie

Next question, if the union goes on strike, do jw union members then go on strike? How does the union feel about that?

Strike Posed Quandary For Jehovah's Witness.

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/233590.html

Can a Jehovah's Witness participate in a union strike and still remain true to her faith?

That's what a Benbrook train dispatcher wondered when her union leaders ordered her to walk off the job in 2005 at Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co.

The ensuing dispute now has landed Jenny Moore and the union, the American Train Dispatchers Association, in court.

Here's Moore's version of events, according to the religious-discrimination lawsuit she filed against the union this week:

Moore, a practicing Jehovah's Witness, was on duty as a dispatcher when the union called for an immediate walkout by members in March 2005. She was unsure whether she could leave, because Jehovah's Witnesses aren't supposed to participate in any political action, including picketing.

Moore asked a union official for time to call a church elder for advice. He refused. She stayed on the job about two hours, and eventually reached a church leader. After the elder gave her the go-ahead, Moore left work. Union officials subsequently brought charges against Moore for disobeying orders and fined her $2,171. Moore believes that amounts to religious discrimination, and she wants the union to pay up.

Union President G.L. Melton said Wednesday that he hadn't seen Moore's suit. "I don't know what it's about or what she's alleging," Melton said. "I thought it was a settled deal."

** w61 2/15 p. 128 Questions from Readers ***

How

shouldadedicatedChristianScripturallyviewlaborunionsandparticipationintheiractivities??S.B.,U.S.A.

The Scriptures counsel Christians to "provide the right things in the sight of all men." "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith." These texts have a bearing on labor unionism, because to obey them it may be necessary to join a labor union. An analogy might be drawn between one?s duties as a member of a labor union and those he has as a citizen of a country. For benefits received from the government the Christian pays taxes; similarly, he could properly pay union dues, since such would in effect be job insurance. There can, therefore, be no objection to a Christian?s merely belonging to a labor union, paying the dues and heeding the call to stop work in the event of a strike.?Rom. 12:17; 1 Tim. 5:8.

However, a Christian should not get involved in union activity to the extent of holding an official position in the union. Nor, in the event of a strike, should he take part in picketing or in other ways agitate for the cause of the strike. Above all, he should not engage in violence in labor disputes, for "a slave of the Lord does not need to fight." "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men." Just as a Christian is neutral regarding politics and wars of his country, so the union member who is a Christian does not get involved in the governing activities and economic warfare of the union but must remain neutral.?2 Tim. 2:24; Rom. 12:18. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/81835/1/Do-witnesses-picket-when-they-are-on-strike

• Azazel
    Azazel

My dear old dad was a lifelong member of a union in fact my mum worked for the Council of Trade Unions.

Being a union member protected him and his ability to provide for his family.It never bothered his concience and i woudnt have even made a connection between religion and a trade union. 1 Thes 4:11 (my parents motto)

Shame their wasnt a union for JW rank and file probably would have saved me from DF.

Thanks to Blondie for posting an intelligent thread.

Az

• jws
    jws

My father was a member of the carpenter's union, as were all 3 members on his crew, all JWs and all elders.

At one time, I remember there was a strike. I don't recall the details. I know my father participated by not working. I think he had to go sign in at the union hall every day to get strike pay. But I know he did not picket (as far as I was told anyway, but I believe it).

In fact, I believe one of the other members of my dad's old crew has relatives in Blondie's area.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

However, a Christian should not get involved in union activity to the extent of holding an official position in the union. Nor, in the event of a strike, should he take part in picketing or in other ways agitate for the cause of the strike. Above all, he should not engage in violence in labor disputes, for "a slave of the Lord does not need to fight." "If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men." Just as a Christian is neutral regarding politics and wars of his country, so the union member who is a Christian does not get involved in the governing activities and economic warfare of the union but must remain neutral.?2 Tim. 2:24; Rom. 12:18. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/81835/1/Do-witnesses-picket-when-they-are-on-strike

Lets reverse engineer this gem from the WT

Seeing as a Jehovah's witness can be a member of a union but can still remain neutral as to being involved in any of its governing activities and economic wars, it is only fitting that a Jehovah's Witness can also in good conscience be a member of a political party so long as they remain neutral as to any of that party's governing activities and economic warfares.

So watchtower... Tell THAT to the malawians...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit