Christmas traditions

by tec 14 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

I thought it would be nice to start a thread with some of your favorite Christmas traditions... especially for those who are just beginning to celebrate Christmas.

We open a gift on Christmas Eve. When I was a kid, it was always a new pair of pajamas.

Christmas advent calenders.

We bake Christmas cookies, and ice them with homemade icing. (anytime in the month after the tree has been put up!)

On Christmas morning, kids are allowed to get up whenever they want and get their stockings, all stuffed by Santa :) They may go through that until the more decent hour of (6am, 7am, 8am... you choose, but be warned that it is considered severe abuse if you make your kids wait past 8am to get you up and open presents! )

One special person (usually the oldest 'teen' or a parent before that) gets to be in charge of playing Santa and handing out the gifts. This also means you have to wait to open your presents until the end, though.

Someone (okay, my mother) cooks an awesome breakfast after presents are opened, and then that tides us over until around 3-4ish when we eat turkey dinner, and then munch and nap the rest of the evening away.

So those are some of our traditions. What are some of yours?

Peace,

Tammy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

We too were allowed to open one gift on Christmas eve..

Snoozy

• ~Question With Boldness~
    ~Question With Boldness~

I've only been celebrating Christmas for about 3 years so EVERYTHING is kind of a "favorite tradition" lol. I've taken to baking cookies, desserts and making my own candies, decorated pretzyls to give to people as gifts. Its fun for me, and they enjoy the treats! Every year my husband and I host a Christmas eve dinner and invite all the single or unaccompanied soldiers we can and I make a breakfast pie every Christmas morning. There's also alot of charities that come up I like to do, the Marine's toys for tots, a food and toy drive for the local orphanage, stuffing stockings for the soldiers who are alone on post... Then every year, my husband and I take a walk at night around post and enjoy the quiet, the snow (if we're lucky) and the beautiful Christmas lights!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

This is my first Christmas, and also OUR first together, but we've decided on a few things to be traditions.

Tree goes up after Thanksgiving dinner (same night) as we listen to Christmas music.

Every year, we will get one ornament for ourselves as a couple, and one for our children.

Christmas Eve will be spent watching Christmas movies and snuggling in PJ's, probably with some sort of baked goods. When the kids are with us and when we have kids together, we will read the Night Before Christmas and other Christmas stories to get them excited for Santa.

Christmas morning, BF and I will sleep in (unless the kids are with us, then that's considered inhumane treatement lol). I will make a nice breakfast and we will open presents. Later on, a big dinner of ham or turkey with all the fixings.

The tree will stay up until New Years day.

• tec
    tec

Awesome. Loving this. Thanks all for sharing :)

• Quendi
    Quendi

After determining I would never return to the organization, I had decided I would not celebrate Christmas. Now I am living in a household whose members do observe it, only not as Christ's birthday. So they are decorating the house, putting up several trees, and planning to have a Christmas feast at the home of another friend. I have been warmly and cordially invited to have a share in all these activities. For me, this will be my first Chirstmas celebration in nearly forty years.

I'm flat broke and have no money for presents to give to others, but that hasn't lessened the desire of my housemates to have me participate. So I have helped with the decorating, and plan to bake cookies as well as make a traditional Christmas pudding for the feast. Since I celebrated the American Thanksgiving last month, I suppose this is a normal next step. It's not as though I am participating in all these activities without giving them much thought and here is what I have decided.

A full and good life means celebrating joys, achievements and blessings with others. I have come to realize that for me this is what the holidays can really mean. They can and should provide occasions where I can demonstrate my love, affection, appreciation and gratitude to other people who have enriched my life. Viewed that way, I have decided that while I may not observe, mark, or celebrate all the holidays, I should certainly take part in some of them, and the ones that mean the most to my friends and family are the ones in which I should have a full share.

So for me, Christmas will mean taking part in a wonderful meal, making merry with friends and family, and demonstrating my love and affection for them in tangible ways. Jesus said there is more happiness in giving than in receiving, and the holidays are one of the ways we can give to the full. The WTS, in its typical puritanical way of viewing things, has entirely missed the point of holiday celebrations. They are meant to augment and beautify our lives. And while many use these occasions to engage in destructive behavior, that doesn't mean that the observance or celebration itself is bad or evil. So with that in mind, I am looking forward to Christmas just as I enjoyed Thanksgiving. I've already seen the benefits of having a part, and am looking forward to enjoying still more.

Quendi

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Before becoming a witless, my family always used to have a routine. Decorations began trickling in right after Thanskgiving. Gradually, we would tape Christmas cards up as we receive them. Sometime around December 10-15, the Christmas tree went up--and that was one of the big highlights. The lights were primitive by modern standards (C7, and only 35 of them), but we used to have glass bulbs of all sizes and shapes. Soon after, we would go to a relative's (who lived in the next state about 160 km away one way), and I looked forward to seeing their tree lit up as well. Shopping was done around this time. I had most of November, and usually much of October as well, to go through the Sears Wish Book.

Once all this is done and school is done, we used to get out the candy. Candy canes, fudge, and candy ribbon was pretty much standard fare. We also had baked cookies (usually chocolate chip). Christmas Dinner was a big deal, but not as big as Thanksgiving.

On Christmas Eve, we used to hang up the stockings. The next morning, we would pull them down and take out the goodies. Then, it was breakfast--and then the Christmas tree was turned on. Gifts were then passed out, and that would usually last around 45 minutes. Afterwards, I would usually spend Christmas recess playing with things I got and finding out what others got for Christmas. The baby-sitters had children as well, and they also had their own Christmas displays and gifts. And, by the time we got all the way around, it was February. Of course, the tree had to go in early January because it was real and they used C7 bulbs.

These days, it is much simpler. I have my Christmas decorations in my apartment up all summer, so I can enjoy some of the sights of Christmas all year. The Christmas music is placed on a 16 GB Sony Walkman, which is around 1/3 full with more than 700 songs. I put it on shuffle play, and have it loop at random through this.

Of course, now I help decorate the hall for Christmas. Right after Halloween, I start pulling down the Halloween stuff and replacing it with Christmas. I line the hall window with red lights (and clear icicles across the top), putting tinsel garland and bulbs across the top (which requires a stepladder). Then I put lights along the wall, along with tinsel garland and ornaments of various designs. The garlands are multi-colored, so it is variable as you go from one part of the hall to another. Red lights line the stairwell, along with clear icicles and lights on the top level. I have a miniature tree with clear lights and red, white, and light-green ornaments in the basement with a backdrop of lit garland (the real kind, not tinsel garland) with ornaments on it. It makes a simple yet colorful and elegant effect.

For sure, this beats sitting at home watching videos recorded in July or listening to music tapes with just Washtowel approved music all day. Or worse yet, field circus.

• tec
    tec

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

This is our first Christmas! We are stringing up popcorn and cranberries, making our own ornaments, and each of us pick out one special ornament each year. We will watch Rudolph and Christmas Story together as a family and of course, make some cookies for Santa.

• used2beme
    used2beme

This will be our first year at new traditions. We didn’t opt for the tree but hung lighted garland with ornaments under the mantle with a few snow village houses on top. Hubby and I wrapped presents while the baby was spending the night at grandmas, it took us 2 movies to get them all done but I loved it. We have stockings (are you supposed to wrap all the goodies in them?) hanging over the stack of presents. We are reading stories from different cultures about this time of year, and have already recorded a few movies for the weekend. I really am looking forward to seeing the baby open his gifts, and spending time together. I hope we can get together with some of the family that is also ‘out’, a big dinner sounds great.

Happy Holidays to all the new friends here, you have made the last year easier.

U2B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit